• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • eriadoc

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    I'm looking for a folder that has a straight blade (no curve) similar to the Benchmade 425 Gravitator. The Kershaw Needs Work is also a consideration, though I like the Benchmade more. I'd like to find something slightly less expensive than the Benchmade, but it's not totally out of my price range. My question is, does anyone know of a similar folding knife that you'd recommend? It's not a very common blade design, and I'm weighing my options at this point. Any information would be most appreciated. Thanks.
    Hurley's Gold

eriadoc

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Why, if you don't mind me asking? And I was saying I like the Benchmade 425 better than the kershaw needs work.

Well, a couple reasons. First, I already have drop point blades and various other curved blades. But I continually find uses for the little straight blade on my Swiss Army knife, but one of the things it's not quite sturdy enough for (or just long enough) is a thumb-on-back push down chop to a flush surface. I also like the point. Furthermore, I lost my cheapo tanto blade that was serving as my straight blade, so I need to replace it anyway. I have several knives that I use for different things, or just as I feel like it, and this is a particular style blade that interests me.

Plus, I think it would be a little easier for me to keep razor sharp. The one part of every blade that I have difficulty with is the curve. *shrug*

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    Well, a couple reasons. <snip>........<snip>Plus, I think it would be a little easier for me to keep razor sharp. The one part of every blade that I have difficulty with is the curve. *shrug*
    That was the first thing I thought of when I saw that first flat blade.LOL! I would like to have one as more a work knife. I think that flat blade would be great for that.

Buckles

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 2, 2009
    Cypress, TX
    so you are basically looking for a tanto blade. benchmade has several of them with that style blade. personally i love the benchmade griptilian tanto
    553 Details | Benchmade

and the mini griptilian tanto
    557 Details | Benchmade

i personally have the mini, but if you are looking for a bigger knife, the full size one is great too. benchmade mades a really great product. i just ordered a fixed blade from the last week.

eriadoc

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    so you are basically looking for a tanto blade. benchmade has several of them with that style blade. personally i love the benchmade griptilian tanto
    553 Details | Benchmade

and the mini griptilian tanto
    557 Details | Benchmade

i personally have the mini, but if you are looking for a bigger knife, the full size one is great too. benchmade mades a really great product. i just ordered a fixed blade from the last week.

Not exactly. That's my fallback plan. If I can't find another I like and decide not to do the Gravitator 425, then I'll get a tanto blade. But the straight blade I'm looking at has one straight, unbroken edge, unlike a tanto.

Y'all are increasing my confidence in Benchmade though, lol.

Here's the one I'm looking at:

bm425BK.jpg

And here's a tanto:

165099_ts.JPG

Buckles

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 2, 2009
    Cypress, TX
    Not exactly. That's my fallback plan. If I can't find another I like and decide not to do the Gravitator 425, then I'll get a tanto blade. But the straight blade I'm looking at has one straight, unbroken edge, unlike a tanto.

Y'all are increasing my confidence in Benchmade though, lol.

Here's the one I'm looking at:

bm425BK.jpg

And here's a tanto:

165099_ts.JPG

ya. its a wharncliff blade, benchmade considers that a type of tanto. you can find that knife for around $85 which isnt too bad. like any knife, if you look hard enough, you can find benchmades at pretty decent prices.
    i bought this one last week for $60 under what benchmade charges
    http://www.benchmade.com/products/100sh2o

eriadoc

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    ya. its a wharncliff blade, benchmade considers that a type of tanto. you can find that knife for around $85 which isnt too bad. like any knife, if you look hard enough, you can find benchmades at pretty decent prices.
    i bought this one last week for $60 under what benchmade charges
    [url]http://www.benchmade.com/products/100sh2o[/URL]

Great info! Thanks a lot!! Now I can actually do some searching. It's really hard to find that blade when you're using search terms like "straight blade" and "no curve" LOL. Thanks again!

Buckles

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 2, 2009
    Cypress, TX

eriadoc

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Well, I found one I like a lot, but they're sold out. Damn.

LW-LM18700.jpg

I'll check out the sites you shared. Thanks!

Buckles

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 2, 2009
    Cypress, TX
    Well, I found one I like a lot, but they're sold out. Damn.

LW-LM18700.jpg

I'll check out the sites you shared. Thanks!

those damascus blades are awesome, but can be very pricey. they are great steel, but there are many other options that have a much better price range.

eriadoc

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Well, damn. Every one I want is out of stock and/or out of production everywhere I look, LOL. Just my luck. Anyone know anything about Blackhawk knives? There's this one that isn't too bad.

eriadoc

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    those damascus blades are awesome, but can be very pricey. they are great steel, but there are many other options that have a much better price range.

Yeah, I know, but I am a sucker for Damascus steel blades. :D

eriadoc

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Yeah, I think I may just order that Blackhawk. It looks like it would do the trick, and seems the few reviews on it are positive. I like the grip, clip options, etc.

That Damascus blade is really calling my name though. LOL. That is one beautiful knife.

Buckles

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 2, 2009
    Cypress, TX
    Yeah, I think I may just order that Blackhawk. It looks like it would do the trick, and seems the few reviews on it are positive. I like the grip, clip options, etc.

That Damascus blade is really calling my name though. LOL. That is one beautiful knife.

ya damascus really is beautiful. ive seen some knives going for more than $3k

Top Bottom