• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ
    Great article stating that we haven't made much progress from a 9/11 frame of mind. We truly are terrorized and not moving forward.

An Era in Ideas: Fear - The Chronicle Review - The Chronicle of Higher Education

"The great lie of the war on terror is not that we can sacrifice a little liberty for greater security. It is that fear can be eliminated, and that all we need to do to improve our society is defeat terrorism, rather than look at the other causes of our social, economic, and political anxiety. That is the great seduction of fear: It allows us to do nothing. It is easier to find new threats than new possibilities."
    DK Firearms

Wolfwood

Self Appointed Board Chauvinist
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    a very good read.

IMHO terrorsism is jsut another buzzword. albeit one that doesnt seem to be going away.

Nighthawk

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Terrorism-Buzz word for the Govt to get it's way over the population,"for it's own good", because they know better.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Sorry, I disagree. The United States is not "terrorized and not moving forward." If anything, other than the sacrifices of the brave men and women of our Armed Forces fighting in Afghanistan and Iraq, the country is not really any more "terrorized" today than it was on 10 September 2001. Outside of some minor inconvenience when traveling, the average American is not affected by our "war on terror." Explain to me how anyone's lives are different as a result of the alleged threat of terrorism in this country? There is no fear of it, and the chances are better of being hit by lightning than being the target of a terrorist attack in this country.

While it is five years old, this is a great article about how most Americans worry about the wrong things...

How Americans Are Living Dangerously - TIME

...and if anything, the threat of terrorism has decreased since it was written!

If you really want to study a country that is dealing with a constant threat of terrorism, take a look at Israel. Armed soldiers are a constant sight on the streets there, and the country has extensive anti-terrorism measure in place that most Israelis see as commonplace.

But as for terrorism in this country, it's not even worth worrying about...

Cheers! M2

TXDave

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Magnolia
    Things are no longer as they once seemed. Our government has engaged for decades in both public and covert negotiations, training, equiping, and deal making on 'our behalf' - ironically - with the very people we now fight in this endless war on terrorism.

Is it just me or did Sept. 11th fall into the Govt category of "exploitable crisis"? For the rest of us it was a terrible crime against our fellow citizens. But am I wrong to think that the Govt used this event to consolidate more power (Patriot Act - do I need to say more) and engage in a retooling of our military machine for endless global conflict?!

I remember how angry and upset I was as I sat in my college apartment and watched towers 1 and 2 collapse. I remember AVOWING that those who had done this must be caught and punished. We were the righteous victims who had done no wrong to others and we would with the Almighties help receive justice!

But - as time and knowledge increase - I have now found myself mired down in a hazy wasteland of undeniable facts and lies in regards to this War on Terrorism and the post-9/11 world we now inhabit.

Could all of this just be the result of one bad foreign policy mistake after another stemming from our embarrasement at losing Iran as an ally in the 70s?

It's like our "ends justify the means" foreign policy during the Cold War has become an eternal, punishing albatross strung around our necks.

We fight the Soviets (don't get me wrong - they were and ARE still a great threat worth striving against) from a "safe" distance for about 6 decades.

We fight the Soviets in Korea, Vietnam, Afghanistan, Iraq/Iran, Central America. How many die on both sides? How many peoples of these 'host' war nations perished far from our notice and true concern?

In the end we back soviet-buffer nations and groups who turn out to be enemies that we fight decades later - sans - Iraq x 2 and against our former UBL and Associate pals in Afghanistan.

Seriously - it makes me ill. It would seem for all intents and purposes that Good sons and daughters of the Republic are being sacrificed to clean up the mess that our mid 20th century foriegn policy created.

Perhaps I am wrong here. If so - someone show me the light and lead me out of the quagmire that is the classic 1950's American Dream juxtaposed against the apparent warlike nature that has become a legacy export of our land 'where liberty was born'.

Addendum: Please, Please do not take this as me siding with those who brought the towers down or in anyway trying to justifying their actions - it was evil. it was wrong. it requires punishment. I just wonder what old G. Washington would say if he was here with us today - I think I know what it would be - and it shames me to think we have so badly departed from his better judgement.

-TXDave

ps - obviously this is off topic from the op - so I do apologize - but - I wouldn't be ME if I didn't follow my random thoughts down the rabbithole.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    "soviet-buffer nations and groups"

It is quite ironic that we set these guys up to be irritants and a drain on the USSR, and now that the USSR is gone they are irritants and a drain on us. I suppose it's a mess we made and now have to clean up. No one really talks about that aspect of it, tho. I'm not anti-imperialist by any means, but I think if we focused more attention inward we'd be better off. This quasi-imperialist "nation building" crap has got to stop.

Top Bottom