• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Not very regularly, but I do from time to time. It's tricky learning how to sight on something that's narrower than your front sight, and things get more interesting when you have to elevate a little bit and cover the target with the sight.

Handgun World

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2011
    San Antonio
    Not very regularly, but I do from time to time. It's tricky learning how to sight on something that's narrower than your front sight, and things get more interesting when you have to elevate a little bit and cover the target with the sight.

I find it helps me with my shooting at close range as well.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    It definitely helps with trigger control. I used to shoot all mine to 200 yds on a regular basis. I had a big piece of steel and a bigger pile of dirt behind it so I could see impacts and hear hits. It is good practise and funner than making holes in paper at short distance.

Jon Payne

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Third Coast
    I bought a PM9 because Bob Mayne is an evil genius and made me. I can hit 2 for 3 at 100 yards with it. The biggest problem with long range pistol shooting is finding a range that allows it. I have to close a rifle bay to practice past 50 yards.

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth

I've been looking at these for that very reason. Seems like they'd be good for up close quick shots and far out because of the points. At 100 yards you're only covering maybe 6" of the target so it shouldn't be too bad.

Anyone use these?

Speed Sights

Jon Payne

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Third Coast
    For iron sights and distance shooting I still prefer Warren Tactical Sights in plain black. I haven't found anything that can compare to using a RMR equipped pistol at distance.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    I don't think the sights matter as much as you knowing them like the back of your hand. Last 3 gun I shot, there were 5ish inch plates at around 25 yards, and people were having real trouble. They were a challenge, but a Siglite rear with TFO front was all I needed. Needless to say, way WAY smaller than my front sight at that range.

I find it helps me with my shooting at close range as well.

Heck yeah. Just shooting at smaller targets on a regular basis, the A zone in an IDPA target gets huge at 7 yards.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Ive gone out to 115 with my 9mm PPQ, hard part was learning to find the mark, then move up with out moving to either side.

I believe in Hicock45 videos he raise the front site slightly above the normal plane so he can still see the target. I tried but couldn't seem to get it down.

Tried with my .40 PX4 and couldn't get the range down at all, turns out I was skipping them off the dirt about 15 yards in front of the target, some would hit close and I would think I about had it then they would go way off somewhere else, bout drove me crazy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

biglucky

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    Dripping Springs, TX
    Shooting long distance pistol targets is a great training tool. Shooting a 10" piece of steel with a pistol at 50 yards requires that all of your fundamentals be tuned. Trigger control, sight alignment, and breathing are all crucial in these conditions.

If you want to shoot some long pistol come shoot the Texas Multigun 3 gun and 2 gun matches. Sheldon puts some fun sniper pistol shots in every match lately for training purposes. Shooting a Larue FAST target at 50ish yards with a pistol is a lot harder than it looks when it is on the clock...

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    IDK. I'll take a lucky shot any day of the week n twice on Sunday but 5, from 165yds? Out of a pistol? Sounds sketchy to me.

Otherwise helluva man for getting involved and a perfect outcome for the nut case.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    IDK. I'll take a lucky shot any day of the week n twice on Sunday but 5, from 165yds? Out of a pistol? Sounds sketchy to me.

Otherwise helluva man for getting involved and a perfect outcome for the nut case.

Already been figured out using google earth the shot could not have been 165. I think the radio guys said it was seething like 95 yards diagonally. Still a good shot.

Wolfwood

Self Appointed Board Chauvinist
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009

yeah that is pretty unbelievable. thinking of it like that makes me really wish those numbers were accurate.

Handgun World

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2011
    San Antonio
    I've been looking at these for that very reason. Seems like they'd be good for up close quick shots and far out because of the points. At 100 yards you're only covering maybe 6" of the target so it shouldn't be too bad.

Anyone use these?

Speed Sights

I use them on 3 of my Glocks. I did a podcast interview with the owner of the company. I really like them. It does take getting use to them, but once you do, they're nice.

Handgun World

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2011
    San Antonio
    The facts are still coming out, some reports say the shot was 75 yards, some say it was 165. Whatever the case, it was a long range shot! And he probably save a cop's life. For the naysayers of long range pistol shooting, they seem to be pretty quiet when this case is brought up.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    The facts are still coming out, some reports say the shot was 75 yards, some say it was 165. Whatever the case, it was a long range shot! And he probably save a cop's life. For the naysayers of long range pistol shooting, they seem to be pretty quiet when this case is brought up.

Nothing against the man that made the shot, I was just trying to provide some info. Still a hell of a shot, especially under those conditions.

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    I use them on 3 of my Glocks. I did a podcast interview with the owner of the company. I really like them. It does take getting use to them, but once you do, they're nice.

Thanks, I'm behind on all my podcasts. I'll check it out.

I'd love a relieved slide with the RMR, but there's a little bit of a price difference between the two.

Jon Payne

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Third Coast
    At 100 yards a thick front sight that covers most or all of your intended target makes a huge difference. At 50 and 75 yards I use next to no hold over, at 100 yards it's only six to eight inches. A wide notch with a thin front sight blade makes those 100 yard shots much easier.
    I don't think the sights matter as much as you knowing them like the back of your hand. Last 3 gun I shot, there were 5ish inch plates at around 25 yards, and people were having real trouble. They were a challenge, but a Siglite rear with TFO front was all I needed. Needless to say, way WAY smaller than my front sight at that range.

Heck yeah. Just shooting at smaller targets on a regular basis, the A zone in an IDPA target gets huge at 7 yards.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    At 100 yards a thick front sight that covers most or all of your intended target makes a huge difference. At 50 and 75 yards I use next to no hold over, at 100 yards it's only six to eight inches. A wide notch with a thin front sight blade makes those 100 yard shots much easier.

It does, but shooting rifles I got in the habit of opening both eyes whenever the front sight made the target hard to see. You wind up superimposing the front sight over the target. Works just as well if not better for a pistol when you're holding over top of a target.

ETA: I shoot a Sig, so the sight picture is generally, "front sight covering the target". But targets 25-50 yards (the extended distances I get to shoot at on a more or less regular basis) don't give me any real trouble.

Top Bottom