Target Sports

Lonestar Handgun Advanced Weapons Training (Defensive Hangun 1)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • smtimelevi

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    San Antonio
    Like the title says today I took the Defensive Handgun 1 class today. This class was put on by Lonestar Handgun of San Antonio. Technically Schertz but who cares. The instructor was Russel King, a 20 year SAPD veteran and 9 of it SWAT. Russel is an extremely knowledgeable firearms instructor. There were 15 of us in the class and it ran just under 5 hours. The cost was $150. The requirement was a CHL.

For the class we worked on grip, stance, draw/presentation, proper trigger technique, scanning, clearing malfunctions, timed shooting on steel, drawing to shoot un-timed and timed, tactical reloads, shooting under pressure. Distances were 3yds, 7yds, 15 yds.

We began with a basic overview of stance and the four steps of the draw. We did this as a class and then Russel evaluated each of us individually. Then we did the same with proper trigger press and recoil management before we moved onto the drills.
    We used several types of paper targets for the drills. Mainly human attacker type targets but we also used some color coded types that were numbered. These were used for command shooting and added a little stress to the mix. On the human type paper targets we practiced mozambique drills, zipper drills, and standard/ non standard response of attacker drills. During all of this Russel came along and stuck some spent shell casings in the ej. ports of our weapons to induce malfunctions. He instructed us on the proper form of tap and rack. I.e. support hand behind the ej port on the rack.

On the timer we worked one on one with the instructor. We started with shooting from the holster. Good from concealment is said to be at or under 2 seconds, from open carry good is 1.7 or less. My best from concealment was 2.24. I need to work on this. Honestly I havent spent much time on this and I really need to. There was a guy there who was doing 1.4 from oc ! I thought it best to practice from my carry method.
    Also on the timer we worked on 4 shot groups from lockout finger already on the trigger. Good time is 1 sec or less. I started with 1.37 and had it down to .98 by the end of class.

What I liked about this class was that people were there to learn. Everyone tried to make the most of this class and Russel didnt leave anyone behind. This class made me realize a few things about my shooting. I'm not a very accurate shot under pressure, first shot after a reload or much confusion. I know what I need to work on and the drills to work on my weak areas. Now only if I could find one of those buzzers the instructor had,lol.

All in all I think that this class was an excellent training tool but not and end all be all. It definitely showed areas that need improvement and now I feel confident in how to handle my training. I will work some of my poor areas before progressing into any further professional training. Lonestar does offer further handgun training and I will continue taking their courses. I recommend this class to anyone with a CHL and hasnt done much more than shoot paper at the range.
    Target Sports

Top Bottom