• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mike_from_Texas

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 10, 2010
    North Texas
    According to QL you can safely go up to 43.6 grains and stay just under SAAMI max pressure. Velocity shows 2400 fps.

bbe4a67bf31896ff6a93749747187be8.jpg

Reloader 17 shows to be a little faster. ~2480 fps.

3a1482060fc95c17053bede4e35360a5.jpg
    Target Sports

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    According to QL you can safely go up to 43.6 grains and stay just under SAAMI max pressure. Velocity shows 2400 fps.

bbe4a67bf31896ff6a93749747187be8.jpg

Reloader 17 shows to be a little faster. ~2480 fps.

3a1482060fc95c17053bede4e35360a5.jpg

Interesting.

I think it is underestimating the velocity. I got 2389fps from 40.2gr.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    If anything, I would suspect that it's overestimating case capacity for some reason. I know 40.2gr is moving 100fps faster than the data it is giving for 41.4.

Will step the loads up to around 41.5 tomorrow and see what it does.

Mike_from_Texas

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 10, 2010
    North Texas
    That program looks pretty cool. Too bad it's $150.

How many reloading books do you have? Can your book adjust for barrel length, seating depth, etc?

What if your preferred powder isn't listed in the manual that you want to use? What about wildcat calibers?

I can tell you since buying this program I haven't even looked at a loading manual.

It will compute many things for you. Such as list a group of powders that is recommended based upon a set of controls (I.e. Case fill, velocity, max pressure, etc.)

It goes way beyond anything that a printed book will ever give you. The ONLY thing I've seen it way off on is subsonic ammo and very short barrels. The beauty of it is even if you find the data to be inaccurate you can tweak certain variables to match your actual performance to a load and save that load for future reference.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    What if your preferred powder isn't listed in the manual that you want to use? What about wildcat calibers?
    I've always found load data on the powder manufacturer's website for free. I only mess around with pretty common calibers, tho. I can understand why Quickload is as expensive as it is because it has an impressive data-set and calculations, but it's not really necessary. Of course, none of this is really :laughing:

I like seeing experimentation like this thread. It's fun.

orbitup

Sticker Cop
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 6, 2010
    Waxyscratchy
    Oh I get it. It's just right now I wouldn't use it much. Maybe down the road when I have more calibers to play with I'll fork out the cash for it.

Actually right now I am working on 308 and 300BO subsonic loads.

dee

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    QuickLoad is some awesome software. I just don't have a computer to dedicate to it at this time but will have it when I do.

Mike_from_Texas

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 10, 2010
    North Texas
    I've always found load data on the powder manufacturer's website for free. I only mess around with pretty common calibers, tho. I can understand why Quickload is as expensive as it is because it has an impressive data-set and calculations, but it's not really necessary. Of course, none of this is really :laughing:

For very basic data, that works. The likelyhood of you finding the exact bullet and powder combination can get iffy. In addition you can't set seating depth and other variables.

Oh I get it. It's just right now I wouldn't use it much. Maybe down the road when I have more calibers to play with I'll fork out the cash for it.

Actually right now I am working on 308 and 300BO subsonic loads.

I can understand that. It's not for everyone.

Just so I can leave it in my reloading room. I have a laptop but it needs to be replaced first.

Once I find a load that I like, I save it as a PDF and upload it to google drive and make it available offline in case I'm somewhere that I don't have great signal.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Just loaded 9 rounds in .2gr steps from 30.4 to 42gr.

Will be checking pressure signs after each round. Not sure if I will make it to 42gr without seeing the first signs of pressure.

I can say that 42gr is about the capacity limit for this combination. No way the higher loads listed above would fit in the case at 2.95 AOL.

dee

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    I've looked into that but I only load at 2 places and my loads are easy to find there.

Another plus for quickload is the optimum barrel time feature which can help narrow down accuracy nodes.

dee

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way

Will be checking pressure signs after each round. Not sure if I will make it to 42gr without seeing the first signs of pressure.

I can say that 42gr is about the capacity limit for this combination. No way the higher loads listed above would fit in the case at 2.95 AOL.
    A long drop tube would likely free up some space.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    A long drop tube would likely free up some space.

I tap them down pretty good to settle the powder. It's already pushing through powder as it seats. Starts doing that around 40.5. Might be able to save a little room but I doubt it would be 2-3gr worth.

Could be wrong, it's happened once before.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.

I really enjoy trying out of the norm things.

Hell, I'm still wasting time making a rimmed 9mm that would be completely useless and overs no improvement over .38 special or 9mm Luger. But it is more trouble, won't cycle in lever actions, and would only work in revolvers.

But at least they're a pain in the ass to make :laughing:

Mike_from_Texas

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 10, 2010
    North Texas

Depends on your brass. I loaded up some 175 VLDs ahead of 50.8 grains of RL17 in Hornady match brass.

Lapua would only hold 50 grains even.

The 50.8 grain load was giving me avg. of 2809 in my 20" 5R on a 95° day. That load was 7-8% compressed but still below SAAMI max pressure and I saw no indication of high pressure in my rifle.

Last edited:

Mike_from_Texas

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 10, 2010
    North Texas
    I've looked into that but I only load at 2 places and my loads are easy to find there.

Another plus for quickload is the optimum barrel time feature which can help narrow down accuracy nodes.

Yep. I'm still learning about some of the features of it.

One thing that it has helped me with is finding the optimum efficiency powder. I strive as near to 100% case fill and 100% burn inside the barrel. I can easily do that with QL.

Top Bottom