Join TexasGunTalk

Life inside the loop

Discussion in 'Houston' started by baboon, Feb 17, 2020.

1. baboon

baboon TGT Addict

One of my best friends father lived mostly in high rises. The one by Herman Park was the nicest. The last one is off Richmond by 610 & 59. I really couldn't see living in one. And the staff generally won't let you go up until they call ahead. His building was re-piped over the summer & the cost per his unit was way higher then it should have been IMHO.

2. benenglish

benenglish Lifetime Supporter Staff Member Lifetime Member Admin

Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I've studied Houston high-rise buildings extensively. It's amazing how each is a different world.

jordanmills likes this.
  3. Charlie

Charlie TGT Addict TGT Supporter

Mar 19, 2008
    Kerr County
    I lived in Woodbranch Village 40 years ago. It was waaay out in the sticks then!

4. EZ-E

EZ-E Freedom vs Tyranny 2020 TGT Supporter

May 4, 2017
    Cypress
    Ive always lived out side the loop.
    Now that i think about it... ive just moved along from the east side of 1960 to the west side of 1960 as i got older. I never really lived south of there but by a few miles & that was when i was a little kid

5. skfullen

skfullen In the woods... TGT Supporter

I actually considered a high-rise condo with such an arrangement several decades ago. It is located just across Allen Parkway from St. Joseph Hospital. I figured that was the safest way to live downtown.

6. benenglish

benenglish Lifetime Supporter Staff Member Lifetime Member Admin

Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I have one in mind and I periodically keep track of prices there. If my situation changes, I always thought there was a good chance I would wind up there. That's seeming less and less likely, though. Every unit in the building got bought not long ago and the ones that have come back on the market are substantially more expensive than before. I'm just guessing but it seems some investors have discovered that the property has been more than a little undervalued for a long time.

toddnjoyce likes this.
  7. oldag

oldag TGT Addict

Feb 19, 2015
    I am so old, I can remember when from about Broadway St. all the way to Galveston was nothing but prairie.

When Tomball was a hick town way out in the country.

When Katy was a good drive from the last part of Houston.

When there was no Pierce overhead, just went through downtown Houston on Peirce St.

8. Gravity1015

Gravity1015 New Member

Mar 21, 2020
    Near Washington and Shepherd. Not too bad here for noise but there are a couple of lamborghinis and other supercars that like to jet around at night like this is a racetrack. Looking forward to getting out of the city soon. Maybe next year.

9. candcallen

candcallen Purveyor of Snark Humor and Truth.

Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    Investors can control a market or part of it. Weather it's on purpose or not I dont know. It would be illegal if they all got together to do something but if enough were coordinated in the right neighborhoods buildings or towns they could definitely control the direction of prices.

10. Dredens

Dredens Well-Known

Jan 11, 2014
    Katy
    I used to live in Montrose. Not a fan of it at all. Not so much because of the weird people (they don't bother me much, and most are actually pretty nice), more so just the stuff that inherently comes with living in downtown Houston in general.

jordanmills likes this.