• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kerryp

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2009
    Bastrop
    I have been wanting a semi-auto rifle and have been researching AR's and AK's. I will definately own an AR at some point when I can afford to build me a nice one. but right now I am leaning towards getting an AK either complete or as a kit. I tried doing a search on here, but I am obviously a dork and can't find the the AK threads that are on here....

So what I need to know is:
    • What are the better versions (Romanian, Polich, etc.)?
    • How hard is it to build an AK from a kit ( I saw an offer by someone on here for the use of their tools and it appears that you just can't snap together an AK like an AR).
    • I assume the 7.62 is the best caliber, but would appreciate info on if that is the case and how hard it is to find 7.62 these days.
    • Any other good or bad info that would be helpful in selecting the proper kits or complete rifles and good sources....
    From what I can tell, the AK kits run around 350 or so and a complete rifle seems to run around 500. I am leaning towards a complete rifle since I don't have the tools necessary, but am willing to tackle building one if it is possible and I have the support to do so....

So fire away or if you know where the links are to threads on the subject, thanks.
    Texas SOT

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    7.62x39 ammo is pretty easy to find (Academy) and also pretty cheap. I believe it is the original chambering for the SKS and AK 47, but others are available. 5.56x45 (223) is another popular one in the AK74, and 5.45x39 is available also.

I am not an expert, but a Saiga is not an AK. It is similiar, but must be modified to use AK mags.

From what I read, CAI (Century Arms Int.) are the bottom of the barrel, but mine has always run fine. The WSAR is also looked down at, I believe another CAI import. It is modified by CAI after importing, and quality has been suspect.

As with anything, experience is needed to build an AK. Unless you just want to do it, I recommend buying one. Building seems to be more for the experts, and you would pay to rent that at this point. I think it would be a fun project though.

As far as the best maker, that seems to be like asking who makes the best anything. It is a matter of opinion and personal preference. There are alot of good makers out there, the biggest question is who to avoid.

I am sure someone with more experience will come along and give you better and more specific answers. My Saiga was nice because I like to fix things, but my CAI 1975 has run fine for me out of the box. It just didn't like the com-bloc mags that it came with. Steel mags or plastic with steel inserts are the way to go for that.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Saigas are indeed AKs. If you want a real, Russian-built AK a Saiga is where to start. They're slightly modified but are fairly simple to put into "real" AK configuration - the trigger has been relocated and they didn't install a feed block in the rifle, hence the bespoke mags. The trigger, furniture and feed block are all reasonably simple fixes if you want to do a conversion on a Saiga.

IMO the Saiga is probably the best AK you'll find. The Romanian AKs are all right, but quality control has always been pretty damn low.

7.62x39mm is probably the cheapest, easiest to find AK to buy and easiest to find things like magazines for, but the AK74 in 5.45x39 is a very good option, too - (very) low recoil, and much cheaper ammo, though the ammo is a bit harder to find (but cheaper to order in bulk). Last time I checked, you could not get a Saiga in 5.45mm, though. The 5.56 AKs are a bit harder to find IMO and magazines are quite a bit harder to find, though there is (was?) a mag well adapter out there that allows the use of AR magazines.

5.56 is easier to find than 5.45, but the overall performance of the two calibers is almost identical (it should be, as I strongly suspect that the Soviets were very impressed with the performance of 5.56 in Vietnam and basically copied it) though if you're talking military ammo, the 5.45 IMO has better terminal ballistics on it. 7.62x39mm ammo is priced between 5.45 and 5.56. I'd rather feed my 7.62x39 AK than an AR any day.

Saigas can also be had in .308, but I don't know of any military-style magazines, so you'd probable be stuck with 5 and 10 round mags, and no bullet guide block conversion needed. I probably wouldn't bother with a .308 - it's got acceptable hunting gun accuracy I guess, but you're not likely to get better than 2 MOA if you get a really good one.

There are also domestically assembled rifles like Arsenal that might be worth a look. Most of them are built on imported parts kits on domestic receivers. One thing that you should be aware of is that a year or two ago, the BATFE decided not to allow barrels in with AK kits, so make sure the AK you're getting has a chrome-lined barrel. Apparently there is an aftermarket barrel maker offering chrome lining now, though... If that matters to you (but I prefer it).

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Saigas are indeed AKs. If you want a real, Russian-built AK a Saiga is where to start. They're slightly modified but are fairly simple to put into "real" AK configuration - the trigger has been relocated and they didn't install a feed block in the rifle, hence the bespoke mags. The trigger, furniture and feed block are all reasonably simple fixes if you want to do a conversion on a Saiga.

That is what I was getting at. Saigas use the same operating system, but don't have the pistol grip and need to be modified to use AK mags. Mine was not the highest quality. I had to work the sear a little because it wouldn't release the hammer after a couple hundred rounds. Maybe it was a fluke on mine, but I just wasn't real impressed.

PopsXD9sc

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    Longview
    Saiga rifles are available at pre-Obama prices again; $325. IIRC another $150 or so will get the conversion parts so you will have a true AK set up. Lots of video info out there on the (supposedly) easy to do conversions. My next project.

ftw13

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Fort Worth
    some look nicer,they all work though....get the cheap ones they're fine. i wouldn't spend over 500 for an AK unless it had some good extras already on it. you can swap parts if you want and upgrade.i think WASRs are probably better quality than the crap ones the insurgents are using to fight our troops and unfortunately those shoddy ones work too. i just remember when AKs were cheap as hell the pricing last year was insane and i wanted no part of it. a WASR is fine,so are the others just get what you can afford....spend the extra on furniture you like,mags and ammo

codygjohnson

Eats breakfast everyday
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    Flower Mound
    i think WASRs are probably better quality than the crap ones the insurgents are using to fight our troops...

In Afghanistan, I saw Chinese type 56, Romanian AKM and straight up Russian AK and AKM, all from their original factory. Besides being very unkempt, higher quality than most of the commercial builds on US receivers you'll find here. I've never seen any of the same problems with factory built AKs that you will find on US assembled ones.

Google some of the online "buyers guides" for AKs to see what to look for when buying one. I could try and put together a list here, but there are far too many already online and I'm a bit hungover. Unless you are familiar with the AK platform, buy your first, build your second.

Dcav

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 31, 2009
    Converse
    Saiga's are being made in 5.45x39. Going for 349.00 on gunrbroker. What is the approximate cost to convert them to over to AK-74 styling? I have been wanting a Ak-74 and this may be my next purchase.

jt526

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 28, 2009
    Richardson
    We did two Saiga conversions in my dining room in under 3 hours, and a twelve pack. Dremel and a drill are all you really need, and the conversion parts. Drill press would help a little. The bullet guide was the most pain in the ... (drill and tap a hole in the receiver), and waiting for some paint to dry where the old trigger metal was removed. Check these guys out for parts - Dinzagarms.com, and this walkthrough Saiga Conversion and you shouldn't have any problems. That being said, classicarms.us has some great prices on yugo underfolders, which I've had my eye on, and saiga's also. All you need is a local FFL, and you are set.

kerryp

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2009
    Bastrop
    Well today I went in with every intention (or so I thought) of getting a Saiga .223 that I intended to modify into an AK with AR mag adapter and the works, but I found out that I had more of an AR bug than an AK bug.
    I looked at some Rocks, a Stag, and a M&P15, but this one was only $100 more than them and I couldn't pass it up. I ended up walking out with this for my Christmas present to myself:
    P1020067.gif

P1020070.gif

P1020069.gif

I guess my next purchase will be a Saiga.....oh well, more guns aren't a bad thing...

Dcav

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 31, 2009
    Converse
    Thanks for the info DirtyD, I'll leave the conversion over to the pro's. I'll shoot them an email over, and add it to my list of stuff I need, when i finish my 10/22 and finally get my damn TX DL so i can get my pistol.

The lifetime warranty on there work is a big plus as well.

ShotgunLobotomy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2010
    Austin Texas
    Cadiz Gun Works has a bunch of 5.45s already converted or can do a custom conversion. Cole is the Saiga master he’s can even give you a conversion with a threaded barrel that will accept standard AK cans and accessories (14 - 1 left hand threading) or AR-15 cans and accessories (1/2 x 28 threading). He was having a $666 conversion special for X mas on 5.45s I don’t know if that price is still good.
    Saigas are defiantly the way to go for an AK type rifle (Or Shotgun) as you are getting a brand spanking new receivers and barrels with matching #s not a chopped kit gun who’s barrel and receivers were hacked up thrown in a crate and then put back together. These guns are top quality AKs with new furniture and many new furniture options. I like the black gun look u can get with a Saiga AK
    post-83-12531993297763_thumb.jpg
    Or you can go with the Krink style
    Gunpics021.jpg

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    setter1
    Top Bottom