• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ChunkyMonkey

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2011
    San Antonio, Tx
    If my job was to enforce laws, and he let me go because of my job, then that would be a double standard. If he would have let me go anyway, then no.
    I just think people in authority should have a higher responsibly to follow the rules, not a lower one.

So you'd be pissed regardless, but only because, really, he caught you breaking the law this time? Lol.
    I've seen other cops get tickets, even secret service and FBI. People always use that "cop out" when they want to divert the subject or generalize. Next, they should have have cops only conceal carry because the public can't open carry too. Schertz PD, for example, has a strict rule that their officers aren't even allowed to talk on their phones while driving.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    The laptops are definitely less safe. You can't hold it up in line of sight like I do on those rare times I either dial or text on my phone when I'm driving. This is actually the reason why no-texting laws increase accident rates.

My argument is in fact that if the police can, so can I.

So, you admit to breaking the law? It is illegal to text while driving in San Antonio.

And while you may not agree with it, the police can legally use their laptops while driving whereas you cannot text.

Next thing you'll be saying you can open carry in public because the cops can.

ohhrico1969

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2010
    Tomball
    Not really a Rant or Rave but didn't see any other place to post. I am wondering what the rule of thumb is for police officers to use their in car lap top. We all gripe about the dangers of texting while driving and rant about ladies putting on make-up while stopped a red light. Twice in a week I have witnessed local police officer typing away on car laptop and not paying attention to what's going on around him. In one incident left turn light came on a cars in turn lane started moving and the LEO took off as well but his light was still red. Got halfway into intersection and realized mistake. Backed up and waited for light to turn green. Yesterday the exact same thing happened but this time the officer took off when turn lane started moving and bumped me from behind. I was first car in lane waiting to go straight straight and he was behind me. Didn't hit hard enough to hurt anything and officer was very apologetic. I know communication is extremely important but so is driving safety. Just think they should abide be more careful when using in car laptops. Anyone else see this going on?

I have always wondered this.It;s funny how because they have a badge they are "infallible"? They talk on the phone while driving and whether or not they need a laptop, (which I believe they should have) they should be accountable for the same safety policies we have to follow. Including speeding! (i mean with the lights and sirens off not when they are on a call.)

BTW I AM grateful for their service and the tough job they do everyday. This is not a slam on them, just a rant.

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    This thread is full of lolz. Let's just ban vehicles, then there won't be any testing and driving. Heck, ban phones completely, people can't even walk and text:
    Now see here, you'll do anything to get attention from others and I for one just won't give it to you.

Oops

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    So, you admit to breaking the law? It is illegal to text while driving in San Antonio.

And while you may not agree with it, the police can legally use their laptops while driving whereas you cannot text.

Next thing you'll be saying you can open carry in public because the cops can.

Well, I'd argue that the law against open carry is straight-up unconstitutional, but that's a whole other subject...

And yes, I do it (text and drive, not OC) from time to time. Big whoop. If I get caught (I won't), I get caught.

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    I'm with Sage. If the military or police can do/own it then it should be legal for me as well. Everyone should be on equal playing ground. Elevating the "rights" of government employees over everyone else is a doomed political philosophy.

Elbe

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    San Antonio
    MH,

No because in our society the police/military have a higher level of authority and a corresponding higher level of responsibility, and training to handle that responsibility. I know your talking about property and actions but your post made me think of the wikileaks guy, who deals with information. A lot of info that the LE/Inteligence community has should stay priveledged and confidential.

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    MH,

No because in our society the police/military have a higher level of authority and a corresponding higher level of responsibility, and training to handle that responsibility. I know your talking about property and actions but your post made me think of the wikileaks guy, who deals with information. A lot of info that the LE/Inteligence community has should stay priveledged and confidential.

Yeah, I was talking more about capabilities and tools. If they can track cell phones then I should be able to too. If they can have machine guns then I should be able to too. If they can video me in public, then I should be able to video them too. Et cetera.

It definitely makes sense that the government would want to keep some information secret.

I know most individual police have a sense of responsibility and are very selfless. But "higher" responsibility is a vague term. They don't have a legal responsibility to defend your life, and they don't have a responsibility to defend your freedom (see supreme court decisions Police have no responsibility to protect individuals (reference)). What "higher" responsibility is there than to protect your life and liberty? And YOU have the ultimate responsibility of protecting BOTH your life and your liberty.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    MH,

And again we're dancing on the edge of the foundation of a favorite anti-gun argument about carry...

If something is true about one right, it's true about all rights.

stdreb27

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    Corpus christi
    not to drift into politics, but REMEMBER the whole intent was a government of the people for the people. Not an elite class who knows better than everyone else...

Top Bottom