• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • okie556

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Longview, TX
    Not really a Rant or Rave but didn't see any other place to post. I am wondering what the rule of thumb is for police officers to use their in car lap top. We all gripe about the dangers of texting while driving and rant about ladies putting on make-up while stopped a red light. Twice in a week I have witnessed local police officer typing away on car laptop and not paying attention to what's going on around him. In one incident left turn light came on a cars in turn lane started moving and the LEO took off as well but his light was still red. Got halfway into intersection and realized mistake. Backed up and waited for light to turn green. Yesterday the exact same thing happened but this time the officer took off when turn lane started moving and bumped me from behind. I was first car in lane waiting to go straight straight and he was behind me. Didn't hit hard enough to hurt anything and officer was very apologetic. I know communication is extremely important but so is driving safety. Just think they should abide be more careful when using in car laptops. Anyone else see this going on?
    DK Firearms

ChunkyMonkey

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2011
    San Antonio, Tx
    Most agencies have policies in place restricting use of the MDTs while the vehicle is moving. But really, as you stated, he did so while it a stop. Numerous have done the same when not using any sort of devices, just not thinking and lunged forward.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Laptops/MDT are a very important tool for police officers. I never had one when I was in LE.

That said, when I was driving my head was always on a swival, reading inspection stickers, registrations, looking for suspicious vehicles, persons, circumstances, etc. I do notice LEOs seem to be "inside the car" now more than when I was on. I have a yearly reunion with guys that I worked with and are still on the department, and they complain about how these newer officers seem to become dependant on technology.

I think it just comes with the times now.

I don't think we can resolve the issue here though. ;)

okie556

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Longview, TX
    Laptops/MDT are a very important tool for police officers. I never had one when I was in LE.

That said, when I was driving my head was always on a swival, reading inspection stickers, registrations, looking for suspicious vehicles, persons, circumstances, etc. I do notice LEOs seem to be "inside the car" now more than when I was on. I have a yearly reunion with guys that I worked with and are still on the department, and they complain about how these newer officers seem to become dependant on technology.

I think it just comes with the times now.

I don't think we can resolve the issue here though. ;)

Agree TXI.....guess this just comes with all the new technology we have available. Good news is both of these officers were rookies on the force and hopefully will learn as they get more time on the job. Our local PD as a whole is top notch. I have lived here for 42 years and NEVER had an issue with any member of law enforcement.....county or city.

stdreb27

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    Corpus christi
    That is one of my pet peeves, they're running around passing laws about not using your phone while you drive, when the officer that pulled you over was probably using a whole dang computer while deciding to pull you over...

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    I would venture to say that an officer may have a more "critical" need to be able to access information immediately than most of the rest of us. I would certainly want him/her getting needed information as quickly as possible if I were in an emergency situation. If they make a mistake in driving and it results in an accident, don't worry, they will be in mucho trouble! Let them do what they need to do.

ChunkyMonkey

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2011
    San Antonio, Tx
    It's ok. We know it's hard to type and drive, right?

Not really, lol.....do it 8 hours a day and becomes second , nature. Equivalent to dialing a number which isn't illegal.

Running plates while driving around sure has recovered a few stolen vehicles/suspect vehicles. If you've been on one that has the ability to reach officers from over 100 different agencies, then it would be appreciated more.

espy59lc

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    San Antonio
    Heres what I think...

*******I do not agree w/ this video, just making a funny. I went to school for CJ, even been through Ohio Peace Officer Academy. So don't jump down my throat*******

Mic

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Austin
    That is one of my pet peeves, they're running around passing laws about not using your phone while you drive, when the officer that pulled you over was probably using a whole dang computer while deciding to pull you over...

Keep in mind, it isn't the police officers in the cars passing laws, it's politicians responding to people whining about other people.
    Whether you are a cop or not, use your electronics intelligently. We (almost) all do it, most of us do it safely. Some don't.
    Just don't be the person who uses your electronics then bitches about everybody else doing it.

okie556

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Longview, TX
    Originally posted by es59lc

*******I do not agree w/ this video, just making a funny. I went to school for CJ, even been through Ohio Peace Officer Academy. So don't jump down my throat*******

Okay so why did you post this lame ass video?

espy59lc

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    San Antonio
    Originally posted by es59lc

Okay so why did you post this lame ass video?

b/c I have a sense of humor and jacking the thread. Back to complaining about something you can't change..starting...NOW!

stdreb27

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    Corpus christi
    Keep in mind, it isn't the police officers in the cars passing laws, it's politicians responding to people whining about other people.
    Whether you are a cop or not, use your electronics intelligently. We (almost) all do it, most of us do it safely. Some don't.
    Just don't be the person who uses your electronics then bitches about everybody else doing it.

Whoh, don't get me wrong. I am fine with the laptop cop. I was wining about the politicians who have created that possibility. The idea that we should ban texting in cars while police officers have a whole laptop they fool with just annoys me. (can you tell I just drove through San Antonio?)

Quite frankly when I played with one, on a ride along. It was a great tool.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Whoh, don't get me wrong. I am fine with the laptop cop. I was wining about the politicians who have created that possibility. The idea that we should ban texting in cars while police officers have a whole laptop they fool with just annoys me. (can you tell I just drove through San Antonio?)

Quite frankly when I played with one, on a ride along. It was a great tool.

So you are OK with folks texting while driving?

Mic

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Austin
    So you are OK with folks texting while driving?

I am. And I do it. Oh my god, does that make me a bad person. As with everything, you can do things intelligently.....or you can do things not so intelligently. When I'm driving on a straight stretch of SH130 and there is no traffic around me, yup - sure do. Of course, that doesn't mean typing out a 3 page sentence. It means typing 2 letters, looking up. Typing a few more, looking up. It's not a quick process. an u kinda lrn 2 type shortr. Also, when I'm at a red light, I do it. Until I see brake lights on the car in front of me go off, then the cell gets put down.

When I'm driving in traffic, or with somebody behind/in front of me, or in a place where things can jump out from hiding spots quick, the text must wait.

Please don't tell me TI, that you are one of the "since a lot of people do it at bad times, I'd infringe on your freedom to do it responsibly by supporting the passage of laws to ban it" people.

okie556

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Longview, TX
    I am. And I do it. Oh my god, does that make me a bad person. As with everything, you can do things intelligently.....or you can do things not so intelligently. When I'm driving on a straight stretch of SH130 and there is no traffic around me, yup - sure do. Of course, that doesn't mean typing out a 3 page sentence. It means typing 2 letters, looking up. Typing a few more, looking up. It's not a quick process. an u kinda lrn 2 type shortr. Also, when I'm at a red light, I do it. Until I see brake lights on the car in front of me go off, then the cell gets put down.

When I'm driving in traffic, or with somebody behind/in front of me, or in a place where things can jump out from hiding spots quick, the text must wait.

Please don't tell me TI, that you are one of the "since a lot of people do it at bad times, I'd infringe on your freedom to do it responsibly by supporting the passage of laws to ban it" people.

Wow! You have managed to convince yourself that you and probably you alone have figured out a way to safely text and drive.

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    ^^ Mic is not alone, it can be done safely if done intelligently. I've dropped the phone many times, call or texting, because something came up on the road. Priorities.

Within financial reason, give the po po what they need to fight crime. They'll figure out where and when it's appropriate to use the item.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX

Thede is no good place to text when your vehicle is moving. And yes, I want it unlawful. You cannot do it safely. Your selfish desires do not make "rights".

Top Bottom