• robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    I almost never get mad at people at work, but one salaried guy who works for me has earned my ire. We've got key cards that stamp when people get into the building. This dude's been working 7 hours and getting paid for 8. Damn thief is all he is. I call him out on it, write him up and he starts whining about all his chores in the mornings, have to get up earlier, won't have time for breakfast etc. F%$*er. He's from Cali - maybe that crap works there.
    Hurley's Gold

Mike1234567

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 11, 2014
    South Texas
    I've worked with people like that and far worse. Outside federal employment they were fired and replaced instantly. Within federal government they got by with murder... over and over and over again.

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    64109130.jpg

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Please don't take this wrong, but if this is an ongoing problem you are the one to blame.

Develop an improvement plan. Lay out your expectations in writing. Include what he must do. Include what you/the company will provide in support (if appropriate). Lay out a schedule of interim reviews (in this case, probably weekly). Put an end date (in this case, probably a month). Spell out what the consequences will be of not meeting expectations by the end date (e.g., action up to and including termination).

Sit down with him. Tell him what he does well. Then mention the problem. Go over the written improvement plan. At the end, have him sign it. He gets a copy.

Then execute the improvement plan.

If he fixes the problem, great. If not, terminate. He chose to take himself out of this job.

TexasBrandon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 14, 2011
    Salado
    I almost never get mad at people at work, but one salaried guy who works for me has earned my ire. We've got key cards that stamp when people get into the building. This dude's been working 7 hours and getting paid for 8. Damn thief is all he is. I call him out on it, write him up and he starts whining about all his chores in the mornings, have to get up earlier, won't have time for breakfast etc. F%$*er. He's from Cali - maybe that crap works there.

Well he is salaried for a reason most likely. I'm not defending anything going on there since I don't know but when there isn't anything to do for me project wise here I leave as I desire since I'm salary based. The flip side of that is I also work 45-50 and sometimes 55 hour work weeks and don't get paid extra since I'm salary (Usually around 45 a week these days). I actually prefer it that way, when work needs done it gets done and when there isn't much to do I can roll out. That doesn't mean leave everyday at 2pm but it does mean that if its 3:30 and Friday I'm out unless there is work to be done.

Edit:

Reread it and the complaining about chores...really? He's salary, work till the job is done...

Last edited:

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Maybe a stupid question, but does he get all his work done on time and with an expected level of competence?

TexasBrandon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 14, 2011
    Salado
    Salaried work is usually salaried because you can't quantify payment in time but rather the amount that needs done and that can change at any time. In the IT realm, at least for me as an engineer, Salary is always to be expected since those "on call" weekends that are free work and extra hours during the week that are also free.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Is he contracted to work a minimum number of hours for his salary?

Don't get me wrong, I can't stand lazy people either. But he is salary. If he is performing then your hands are kind of tied depending on how his employment contract reads.

Sugar Land

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 7, 2012
    Sugar Land Texas
    All depends on who is making the rules. Some companies require 50 hours a week for salary people and some say work until finished. Diff strokes diff folks. I am salary but I am not gonna sit around and watch the clock for an hour to get my eight in.

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    Here's what you do:
    Tally up all the hours he has shorted the company.
    Call him in.
    Explain to him he has shorted the company X number of hours.
    He now has a choice to make. 1.) Pay back the shorted hours with his vacation time. 2.) He can resign.

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    Please don't take this wrong, but if this is an ongoing problem you are the one to blame.

No offense taken and I completely agree - I expect some level of professionalism from my employees. I don't baby sit the people who work for me - You are correct that it was definitely my bad - and another guy pointed it out. At least, when I'm aware of it, I do something about it. I could care less what hours he works - but he dang well be working them. The improvement plan is in place, expectations are in writing. Termination was specifically stated in his write-up. His one strike escalated to two.

Mike1234567

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 11, 2014
    South Texas
    As his supervisor you have access to his job description and other agreements (union?). Be sure to study those before taking any actions.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    No offense taken and I completely agree - I expect some level of professionalism from my employees. I don't baby sit the people who work for me - You are correct that it was definitely my bad - and another guy pointed it out. At least, when I'm aware of it, I do something about it. I could care less what hours he works - but he dang well be working them. The improvement plan is in place, expectations are in writing. Termination was specifically stated in his write-up. His one strike escalated to two.

Excellent. The problem will be solved, one way or the other. And you will have done your part. It is up to the employee now.

You are wise to address this, as such situations can really sap morale.

A.Texas.Yankee

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    NTX
    If he wasn't performing (doing his fair share) then I'd drop the hammer. Now if he's getting all the work of am 8 hour day done in 7, then I'd probably let it go. Hardworking employees get that kinda perk in my world.

Top Bottom