• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • vipermike1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2010
    dallas, tx
    The problem is the "small" is subjective. I can't define it, but I know it when I see it. lol

If you want a reliable, proven pepper device I like the Kimber product.

Thanks txinvestigator
    Would you say the Kimber JPX Jet Protector (pepper spray pistol) would legal in Texas?
    Kimber America Store > JPX Jet Protector Black Frame

I noted that the Smaller KImber Pepper Blaster is Size: Length: 4.3 inches , Height: 0.9 inches, Width: 2.7 inches
    The The HotShot™ Portable Protection Device is: length 6 inches x 1 inch
    Gun Zone Deals

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Thanks txinvestigator
    Would you say the Kimber JPX Jet Protector (pepper spray pistol) would legal in Texas?
    Kimber America Store > JPX Jet Protector Black Frame

I noted that the Smaller KImber Pepper Blaster is Size: Length: 4.3 inches , Height: 0.9 inches, Width: 2.7 inches
    The The HotShot™ Portable Protection Device is: length 6 inches x 1 inch

I have no idea why you want to carry something that looks like a gun. The JPX is a chemical dispensing device and a prohibited weapon.

IMO, you are fine with the Pepper Blaster II or the Hotshot. The hotshot uses a powder and IMO is not nearly effective as a liquid.

I like this one; PepperBlaster by Kimber - Guardian Self Defense

vipermike1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2010
    dallas, tx
    I have no idea why you want to carry something that looks like a gun. The JPX is a chemical dispensing device and a prohibited weapon.

IMO, you are fine with the Pepper Blaster II or the Hotshot. The hotshot uses a powder and IMO is not nearly effective as a liquid.

I like this one; PepperBlaster by Kimber - Guardian Self Defense

Ok.. Thanks again,
    How does a person know what is a chemical dispensing device and what is not? The JPX has the same amount of liquid as the Pepperblaster, which I like also. The new red Pepper blaster 2 has a new design with small pistol grip handle.

So the Jpx is a prohibited weapon because of its size or looks like a gun? I know you know somehow.

vipermike1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2010
    dallas, tx
    Got the New Kimber Pepper Blaster "2" today. It is the same as the kimber Blaster on the inside, but the outside is shaped more like a small pistol design with sites for better aiming. I would say it does Not look to much like a gun, which is a good thing. The color is bright red.
    My friend also got one for himself and his wife. I am very impressed with the quality of the device.

If anyone has any questions about this New Pepperblaster 2 Feel free to ask..

vipermike1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2010
    dallas, tx
    Would the below device be legal to carry in Texas

Would the below device be legal to carry in Texas. PepperBall Tech. has a sale on it. It looks and functions like a flash light with a laser, used co2 to shoot .68 pepperballs, rubberballs or inert training rounds,,

Note Pepperball Tech. says in the ad, Texas is one of the sates they Do Not ship PepperBalls to. So they ship the device without peperballs but include extra inert powder training rounds.. So without having the "pepperballs" would it legal to carry, loaded etc. Like walking in the park or wherever. I really like it because it does not look like a gun.

I am worried about the chemical dispensing device law. Could a cop say. " it is still a chemical dispensing device, it says "pepperball" printed on it", even with no pepperballs.?

FlashLauncher

flash_launcher2a..jpg

vipermike1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2010
    dallas, tx
    :banghead: ...........................

txinvestigator
    "I am well aware of the law. That is why I believe a pepperball gun is a chemical dispensing device and unlawful to posses. I suppose if you have no pepperballs it would not be"
    -----------------

Sorry, I see you have already answered that question.

TexasGal

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2010
    Bacliff, TX
    Jeez, in all the years I've been on the internet and bulletin boards and threads, posts, ect.. I have never-ever seen a thread 9 pages long! Needless to say, I did not read them all down to the last one. I just have a comment. 5 pages back, someone mentioned 'what about wasp spray'. I recently read a fwd. email about using wasp spray instead, because it can shot 25 ft. Yesterday my daughters were attacked by a dog walking through the neighborhood, and my oldest was bitten by the dog. First thing that came to mind (other than wanting to shot the dog! LOL ;) was for them to carry a can of wasp spray from now on. Not to use on people; although if I was carrying a can of it and someone tried something, I certainly would use it!! Anyway, is there harm in carrying it to fend off a dog??? Is that animal cruelty or justifiable self-defense? And what if I said, I was loaning the can to a neighbor, on my way home, and along came this crazy dog. lol

And while I'm on the crazy subject. Let's say I own a gun and have my CHL and I'm walking down the road minding my own business and an attack dog runs my way. Can I shot the dog with no repercussions?

Sorry, I realize this is way off-topic; just thought I'd throw it out there. :)

Tracy

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Texas Gal. Just get pepper spray. It is known to work on dogs.

As far as shooting a dog with "no repercussions", no one can tell you that. Chapter 9 of the penal code (use of force) has a justification that may cover shooting a dog that is attacking, but the repercussions will depend on the facts of that specific case, your local police, the DA and if the dogs owner sues.

Frankly, I think you would be fine if you really had no other choice. But that is just my opinion

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Here’s a little advice regarding the use of pepper spray or mace.
    1. Buy two of them and test fire one in your back yard. The word “spray” is misleading; it actually comes out in a stream. By doing this exercise you’ll better understand your aim and how long the stream lasts. I’d also suggest you slowly walk toward the target afterward. Stop when your eyes start to water and turn away. Now you have an idea how it’s going to affect the perpetrator. By the way, remember to be up wind when you do this.
    2. Keep in mind that this is a short term self defense weapon. It should be shot at center of mass or head (preferably both), and then you should immediately seek escape or a more powerful weapon. (in the case of your wife, escape to a place of safety would be preferable)
    3. Pepper spray and mace do not work every time. A very, very small percentage of people are immune to it. Also, if the perp has been sprayed before he may know how to beat it. (this can be done according to Massad Ayoob) You need to know what you’re going to do after you’ve spayed them. Planning, Planning, Planning…
    4. Any quality pepper spray will be labeled with the OC percentage (Oleoresin Capsicum) and the SHU (Scoville Heat Units). You want the hottest stuff you can find, so remember this equation:
    Percent of OC x SHU = heat or effectiveness rating

Good post. Some OC makers make inert units so you can practice with it. They are a great training tool.

Regarding effectiveness; SHU is all that matters. A 5% with 2 million SHU and a 10% with 2 million SHU are a same as far as heat.

Nesto

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    SMTX
    A lot of times I carry a small personal First Defense pepper spray. Sometimes I carry the smaller can (MK-4 I think?) of First Defense X2. I am a commissioned security officer in Austin and have an OC certification (OCAT). To my understanding if you are "properly trained" to use it, the police or at least APD should not give you crap about having it on your person. Unless your using it for bad of course.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    A lot of times I carry a small personal First Defense pepper spray. Sometimes I carry the smaller can (MK-4 I think?) of First Defense X2. I am a commissioned security officer in Austin and have an OC certification (OCAT). To my understanding if you are "properly trained" to use it, the police or at least APD should not give you crap about having it on your person. Unless your using it for bad of course.

Nesto, as a commissioned security officer and officially trained, you are exempt from the law making a chemical dispensing device a crime to posses. Of course, that is only while on duty.

The problem is that if OC is not a "small device sold for personal protection" it is unlawful to posses. There is no definition of "small".

tllstaco

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    I have been told that a person has to be older than 18 to purchase pepper spray. Is there any law that gives the minimum age that someone can carry a commercially available cannister of pepper spray?

WTShimmin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2016
    Problem with section 46.05 is the ambiguity. Nowhere within the Penal Code does it with detailed specification define a accurate container size limit, or measurable content limitation. leaving the "decision making" subjective to opinion (officer discretion), creates a continued threat of liability against the carrier. What may be "allowed" within one jurisdiction may not be applied to another. The majority of the manufactures of O.C. produce a personal model in the 2.6 ounce deployment cannister. The maximum amount allowable in the majority of states who allow personal carry is 3 ounces. Carrying a canister like a "key chain" is about useless unless the aggressor is pinned to the ground or within 5 feet of you due the lack of content. A 3.2 ounce canister of Saber Red gives you about a 15' range of deployment for approximately 3 seconds. Thats it. I used O.C. frequently in my last job in California (LEO). Give me a MK-9 any day of the week. Bare minimum, a MK-lll.

Top Bottom