• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gladi8r

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 5, 2008
    Troy Tx
    I figured I would start a Ar thread that had krylon painted rifles, maybe share tips or ask questions. I painted mine cause I was painting my paintball gun and my rifle is kinda beat up so I thought I would try it I used flat krylon paint and the liner out of my wifes kitchen drawer(she still aint found out). Didnt put it on to thick so I can take it off later

camolmt.jpg

camolmt2.jpg
    Military Camp

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    I painted my AK because after building it from parts, I needed something on the receiver.

Degrease well! I used electronics cleaner because it won't leave a residue. Use primer!! Krylon doesn't stick well without it.

I went the simple route - dark earth base coat, then a few vertical-ish stripes of tan next to green to break up the line of the rifle. Works great in the woods (better than I'd expected), looks alright and is quick and easy.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I sprayed my AR also. I wanted something different, and solid black is not a good camo color. It is also easy to touch up, and remove if necessary. The only real problem is burning the paint off the barrel.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I tried some BBQ grill paint on the barrel, but it still burns off. I also painted a shotgun and a bolt rifle, and am pretty happy with the results on all of them.
    IMG_1427.jpg

IMG_1421.jpg

IMG_1342.jpg

I shoot on a range I set up on my property. I don't visit many public ranges.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I thought about that also, but the temp ratings on engine paint were lower than the BBQ paint. I think a higher quality paint may be the way to go, but I just haven't messed with it yet.

dobarker

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2010
    Sonora
    I just redid the stock of an old nasty .22 with Rustoleum spray on bed liner ($8 from wal-mart in the auto aisle) Great feel, nice flat black.
    View attachment 3841
    I'll delete that one and get you a better picture tomorrow when theres sunlight.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    What kind of engine paint did you look at? Engine block paint should withstand 1200 degrees.
    That is probably the more expensive stuff that I didn't go for. I thought the BBQ spray I bought was rated for 1200 degrees (I'll have to look), but again, it is the cheap stuff. I need to shop at an auto parts store instead of Wally World I guess.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    dura coat it.... i just happen to know a feller that does that stuff.
    I know a guy that is too lazy to go through all that effort, but will go through the effort to whine about a cheap fix that doesn't work. Some day I will have to add Duro Coat to my arsenal of 'gunsmithing ability' if you could call it that.

Top Bottom