• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    WTF with the engrossment of the Kardashians in the news? Am I missing something or does anybody really give a PhoKing shit about these people? No news gets posted without something about the " Kardashians"? Who the fuk are these idiots? Rant over.
    ARJ Defense ad

CrazedJava

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 5, 2013
    DFW
    We have created a cult of celebrity. Combine that cult, which has existed as long as Hollywood, with that overwhelming desire to become famous, with reality TV, and eventually we ended up with people who are famous because they are famous.

I cannot watch this tripe, or any of the "Real" Housewives. There is a certain level of vapidity I can barely tolerate and most of it is used up just dealing with everyday people. I can't imagine watching TV and subjecting myself to an extra helping.

AcidFlashGordon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I cannot watch this tripe, or any of the "Real" Housewives. There is a certain level of vapidity I can barely tolerate and most of it is used up just dealing with everyday people. I can't imagine watching TV and subjecting myself to an extra helping.

I think much of this so-called "reality" crap started in Europe with that Big Brother bullshit. That floated over here like the stinking turd it is and became EmpTy Vee's "Real World," of which reality had no part of. The interviews with past participants said that the directors would push for one person to confront another person when nothing emotional was occurring. Much like the script for "wrestling." They know who the winner is before the match starts.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I think much of this so-called "reality" crap started in Europe with that Big Brother bullshit. That floated over here like the stinking turd it is and became EmpTy Vee's "Real World," of which reality had no part of.
    If I remember right, this is one of the few cases where a TV genre originated here and spread to Europe. Normally, the creativity flows west across the Atlantic, yes, but Real World pre-dated Big Brother by a handful of years.

In the beginning, there was some validity to reality TV. The first season of Real World wasn't bad but it went downhill fast when the producers figured out that all they had to do was stir things up and create needless drama and people would watch.

I wish I knew why. Hardcore Pawn is absolutely painful to watch. It's a concentrated dose of negativity, no matter how you approach it. Yet it continues to pull in the numbers.

I didn't have to wait that long to give up on reality TV, though. Call me naive, but at the end of the first season of Survivor when the bad guy won I was shocked, then angry that I had wasted time watching. I have never watched another episode.

The only reality TV that's worth watching, IMO, is the stuff that's crossbred with documentaries. Pawn Stars, for example, is badly scripted and badly acted but at least there are some interesting historical artifacts and neat old guns that get some screen time.

The very best reality TV show, again IMO, is also one that barely qualifies as "reality" and falls more into "documentary". I'm talking about Mike Rowe's "Dirty Jobs". I loved that show. I wish they'd make more. It's reality TV because it follows Rowe around all day while he does his real job...but that job is making short, really interesting documentaries.

If the documentary crossovers are the good examples of reality TV, the personality cult shows are the worst.

Take somebody entertaining who has done good things for the world. Pick whoever you want. If he were still around and in his prime, I'd pick Jonathan Winters. Maybe the funniest guy who ever lived, his influence in the world of comedy is so far reaching it beggars description to anyone who hasn't been in the business.

I loved the guy's work.

But his personal life?

Writing material is tedious. Practicing it is painful to watch. Doing publicity is boring and repetitive. Who in their right mind would want to put a camera on that and follow it around all day? Who would watch? Nobody.

Solution? Create drama. The only way to have people live interesting enough lives that it's halfway entertaining to keep a camera on them is for them to be maladjusted narcissists who stir stuff up for no reason just because they love the drama in their personal lives. Kim K. and Paris H. are perfect examples - make a sex tape and then, while you've got eyes on you for a few minutes, do more outrageous stuff to continue to attract attention. Lather, rinse, repeat, ad nauseum.

What gets me is how people get sucked into those shows. That scene in the Howard Stern bio-pic where they went over his listener stats was based on real life. People who loved him tuned in because they wanted to know what outrageous thing he would say next. Even more of the people who were tuning in actually hated him but they continued to listen for the same reason; they wanted to know what outrageous thing he'd say next.

Personality cult reality TV is the same way. It's watched by people who both love and hate the characters because both groups are fascinated to see what's gonna happen next. The producers learned (very early on) to help the American public slow down and look at these car wrecks that pass for families by orchestrating the bloodiest, silliest, most-body-parts-strewn-across-the-highway personality smashups for the public to see.

It's really pretty sick.

When the first Kardashian reality TV incarnation hit the airwaves I remember looking at the two youngest girls (I can't remember their names), seeing two innocent little girls who were clearly going to grow up to be stunningly beautiful, and thinking to myself "Those poor girls don't have a snowball's chance in hell."

What little I've seen since then (the show is so pervasive that I absorb some by osmosis, it seems) tells me my prediction was spot-on.

Top Bottom