• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JBarL

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2011
    Mosheim
    Just wrote my Senator on the open carry issue I hope I wasnt to hard on him. but I just wanted him to know, we are getting sick and tired of Our Rights being denied and treating us like they know what is best for us and I hope that Texas dont fall into the " Nanny State" like some have already turned into. please allow me to paste my letter any feed back would be great. thanks

Senator Birdwell,
    I'm writing to you today for the reason of open carry laws in Texas. Sir I am a Certified Handgun Instructor and a CHL holder as well. I wanted to know, what happened to the bill that was supposed to be voted on for open carry. Sir I am neither a lawyer nor do I plan to be, but if you would allow me to say, that right now The State of Texas is going against its on constitution. Constitution states "SEC. 23. Every citizen shall have the right to keep and bear arms in the lawful defense of himself or the State; but the Legislature shall have power by law to regulate the wearing of arms with a view to prevent crime." The U.S. Constitution also states the right to bear arms for defense. Sir with all due respect, we as citizens are getting really upset with the legislators infringing on the rights of US law-abiding citizens. This State like all are based on the Freedoms from the Government, And Frankly Sir as a individual I will say We don’t need to be placed in the category as a "Nanny State" Sir another words. I have the right to know what is the best interest of me and my family, Not the Government telling me when to do What to Do and How to do. Last time I read the Constitution and Bill of Rights I do remember seeing the Words “We The People" And If I recall We The People Is who Pays the Salaries of the government. I would like to see Texas Give back the right that was taken from us back in 1876 Due to poor interpretation. So please look into getting a bill proposed and get a vote on open carry and get it passed. Millions of voting Texans does at least deserve that much don’t you think? Thank You for your time.
    DK Firearms

lalonguecarabine

A legend in my own mind!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2009
    Houston
    I'm sure it will be filed again in 2013, probably written better.
    These guys are still waiting...

spttoa0912.jpg

JBarL

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2011
    Mosheim
    Bithabus

I was just wondering was I hard on the senator cause I can always write onther if I wasnt lol thanks for the input

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    The time to write these letters is when they are running, in order to get them to commit, and in the months before the session starts. Bills that are not-prefiled usually do not get passed.

I think next session there will be enough support to get it pre-filed, but it will go nowhere without lots of support. There are just too many other important issues.

zembonez

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Republic of Texas
    Right or wrong - In this time of impossible budget cuts, and a nationwide slump in the economy, employment numbers, and housing sales... I just don't think the legislature is terribly concerned with spending a lot of time on open carry.

The Lox

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 6, 2010
    Farmers Branch
    Nice letter, by no means trying to nitpick but I think you made a typo in this sentence? Maybe you have time to edit it before resending?

but if you would allow me to say, that right now The State of Texas is going against its on constitution.

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    Bithabus

I was just wondering was I hard on the senator cause I can always write onther if I wasnt lol thanks for the input

Nothing wrong with letting your elected representatives know how you feel. But, like Renegade said, the best time to send letters is when a session is about to start, or when a vote is approaching. Also you might want to check your Senators voting record. If he voted yea on other gun bills, thank him for his support.

Whats kills us are the Senate Democrats, since we need 2/3 of the Senate to get bills to the floor. If a few seats change hands we can pass anything we want.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    The simple reason why the open carry bill never made it to the floor was because it was filed too late. It's also normal for bills to be introduced 2 - 3 times before they get to a passable state and gain enough support.

A small minority of Texans care about open carry, and an even smaller minority of those Texans care enough to get their reps involved. It's hard for it to gain traction and push forward as a result.

The bill did pass the House committee last session which is a good sign. I have a feeling if it gets to the floor that their will be some real resistance coming out and it will gain some publicity. We shall see, but it seems like the TSRA may be warming to the idea of open carry as they mentioned it in a list of topics. I won't hold my breath, but with parking lot passing it can improve their backing.

JBarL

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2011
    Mosheim
    Ok thanks all for the input And I guess I will spread the word as the time gets closer and put out phone numbers as well as names for people to contact them but Like I said that will be closer to the date when they start putting things together. again thanks all for the help keep our fingers crossed it does happen cause the 100+ temps its kinda hard to dress comfortably and conceal those Desert eagle 50's lol j/k I only carry a small snub nose 357 mag or My 1911 colt commander
    just depends on where I am going some places I carry both lol.

Top Bottom