• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KAK

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Waco
    Im pissed off at the NRA now and I am sorry I sent them 100 bucks. Bunch of fucking pansy ass compromisers.
    Gun Zone Deals

TexasFats

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 17, 2008
    Austin, Texas
    Along with the NRA, if you live in Texas, don't forget the Texas State Rifle Association, since they are our voice in the legislature. This whole thing about a shooter at UT is certainly convenient for those who want to make sure that allowing CHL holders to carry on campus gets through next year's legislature.

mrseatle

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 27, 2009
    SW Houston
    I recommend The RWVA, and I believe they are our best hope for restoring The Right of the People to Keep and Bear Arms without Infringement...

All the other groups seem to be willing to make concessions to legislate our rights away.

TexasFats

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 17, 2008
    Austin, Texas
    I recommend The RWVA, and I believe they are our best hope for restoring The Right of the People to Keep and Bear Arms without Infringement...

All the other groups seem to be willing to make concessions to legislate our rights away.

Before you condemn other groups too much for compromising, you need to explore all of the circumstances that led to the compromise. Back about 40 years or so ago, compromise was the only way to keep even worse things from happening to our rights.

A second point is that an all-or-nothing approach often ends up with the "nothing" option. Our rights were not take in one fell swoop, and, probably, will not be restored all at once either. One step at a time may be the best way. Right now, there is a big brouhaha over open carry. I would love to see open carry legalized, but I would even more love to see campus carry and a parking lot bill pass. If I have to choose, I would pick the campus carry and parking lot bill over an open carry bill that leaves the campus ban in place and does not protect the rights of employees to protect themselves on the way to and from work. Why take that position? Because it reduces the number of "unarmed victim zones" in a way that open carry, by itself, will not. What good is open carry if a massacre at a school takes place the way it did in Russia a few years ago? A couple of incidents like that would cause people to start howling for more restrictions on us--not fewer.

A third thing that I would like us to think about is that, by splitting up and castigating folks whose priorties on our gun rights differs from our own is playing right into the anti's hands. To quote a Founding Father, right after he signed the Declaration of Independence, "We must all hang together, our we shall all hang, seperately." I will support open carry if open carry advocates will support campus carry and a parking lot bill. But, if open carry advocates act like they don't give a damn if I and my students are blown away in my college classroom because campus carry is still illegal, then why do they claim to be fighting for all gun rights, when they are actually fighting for only the gun rights that are important to them and the rest be hanged?

Let's all work together, take what we can get now, and keep working for the rest. As I said earlier, we didn't lose our rights all at once, and, while it would be nice to have them all restored at one time, we probably won't get them all back at once. One step at a time may be the best way.

MR Redneck

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    The great country of West Texas
    I like your post Texasfats, I just disagree with one thing. And thats the rights issue. Texans did lose their right to carry handguns all at once. It was part of the Post Civil war reconstruction period. I have studied this in great detail and found the reasoning offensive. Im not going into any detail because thats all history.
    Your campus carry is very important but I think a bill called " Campus Carry" would be foolish. A bill to eliminate gun free " Victim " zones would do more justice.
    This aint some stuff I just pulled out of the hat.. I have some very good people who I have been bleesed with meeting that is helping with these issues.
    The all or nothing stuff, well ,it works Mr. Texasfats. See what Arizona has got. Its all due to the AZCDL. This year Arizona will also get rid of the gun free" Victim" zones. The AZCDL has an agressive all or nothing approach to legislature. When they lobby to correct a law, it gets correct to what the citizens want. They dont ask for permission, they simply dont need it because the citizens are the people who are suspose to create the law. Legislature represents the people. What im trying to say is the people of Arizona have restored their Republic..
    Campus carry is very important just like your desire for open carry. As a matter a fact, whats wrong with open carry on campus. It wouldnt offend me to see it. The rights of people to defend themself shouldnt be limited by where they go, how they choose to carry, and without regulation.

MR Redneck

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    The great country of West Texas

How can they be so good when I aint never even heard of them? Do they have lobbyest in Austin working for your rights? Have they done anything here in Texas that kept honest people from being restricted?
    I would like to hear more about this group.

jedwil

2d Amendment Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Hilll Country
    How can they be so good when I aint never even heard of them? Do they have lobbyest in Austin working for your rights? Have they done anything here in Texas that kept honest people from being restricted?
    I would like to hear more about this group.
    Appleseed Project Home
    Perhaps this is his organization. Probably doesn't have the political influence of some other organizations, but looks interesting.

mrseatle

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 27, 2009
    SW Houston
    Just because some of us comprimised in the past, is no excuse for accepting the current tyranny. You will be judged...

As far as lobbyists... I already pay for my representatives in Austin and DC, why should I have to pay again to some lesser representatives that have no real power except to comprimise? That old NRA argument is getting stale.

45tex

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    If Peppy LaPue endorses Dingy Harry Reid for another term in the Senate I will be done with the NRA forever. The TSRA is a great group

shipwreck

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Beretta City,Texas
    If Peppy LaPue endorses Dingy Harry Reid for another term in the Senate I will be done with the NRA forever. The TSRA is a great group

The NRA backed away fom harry Reid, as far as I understand.

However, they have backed Chet Edwards here locally. He has voted with Nancy Pelosi 96% of the time. She even suggested him to be Obama's running mate. And, he got an "F" from the NRA back in 2003.

I've been thru this argument on other gun forums... I realize that the NRA is a single issue operation. But, I refuse to give them another dime forever after them back Edwards. He needs to go.

He voted FOR the rules change to allow them to pass that health care debacle - and once the dems had enough votes to allow a few guys in tough raxes to not have to vote for it, he votes "no." And, now he is trying to spin it by saying he voted against the health care law... Guess what... he voted "for" it by allowing the rules change...

I hate politics... But, Edwards really needs to go. Since he is my local guy, I follow his votes on various issues closer than other guys. I am not happy that the NRA is backing an uber liberal.

45tex

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    Okay, If Peppy endorses Reid AND OR Chet Edwards I will be done with the NRA. I'm a single issue guy too, Right and Wrong.

KAK

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Waco
    Its official they support chet over flores. Who by the way is a life member of the NRA. Im actually in his district, I really hope we can kick his ass out.

I am pissed that I sent them 100 bucks. They wont see another dime out of me. I will join GOA, Knife Rights, TSRA, and I would like to be heavily involved with the new Citizens Defense League spoken about MR Redneck. I feel that the TXCDL is our best hope of following in Arizona's footsteps.

KAK

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Waco
    Thank you for contacting us.
    As stated in the NRA Bylaws, a request to cancel a membership must be received in letter form to the NRA Director of Member Services at the address listed below on Waples Mill Rd. The NRA Bylaws also state that membership dues & fees paid to the NRA are not refundable or transferable.
    We are not permitted to cancel a membership per any other request than in letter form received via mail per the NRA Bylaws.
    Thank you very much for your support and please feel free to contact us if you ever need anything else!
    Best Regards,
    Mike
    NRA Member Communications
    11250 Waples Mill Road
    Fairfax, VA 22030
    www.nra.org
    E-mail: membership@nrahq.org
    Phone: 1(800)672-3888
    P.S. If you need to contact us again concerning this, please make sure you include this and any previous correspondence. Some Internet Providers, such as AOL for example, automatically cut out previous messages when you reply to a message.
    This will help insure a quick answer to your inquiry.

-----Original Message-----
    Sent: Tuesday, October 19, 2010 4:31 PM
    To: ILA-Contact
    Subject: RE: Contact from NRAHQ web site: none given

I have decided I would like to terminate my membership. Please remove me from your mailing lists. There are other firearms rights organizations out there that more closely represent my views. I will re-join when I see a 10 year record of no compromises. I hope you understand.

Thanks,

Kyle

Sent: Tuesday, October 19, 2010 8:23 AM
    To: 'kylea.keegan@gmail.com'
    Subject: RE: Contact from NRAHQ web site: none given

Thank you for contacting NRA-ILA.

NRA is a nonpartisan, single-issue organization. Our ratings and endorsements are based solely on a candidate's support for, or opposition to, our Second Amendment rights. Other issues, as important as they may be to many people, do not and cannot play any role in those decisions. NRA represents a broad coalition of American gun owners, who are bound together by their support for the right to keep and bear arms.

For us to factor non-gun-related issues into our ratings would foolishly divide our unified base of support on the Second Amendment. This policy has served NRA and gun owners well over the past three-plus decades, making us the nation's pre-eminent pro-Second Amendment advocacy group.

We fully understand that voters must take into account a variety of issues when deciding for whom to vote. We respect that. It is our responsibility, however, to provide voters with information solely on a candidate's position on gun-related issues so that they may factor that consideration in addition to other issues.

We recognize and acknowledge that Congressman Edwards has disagreed with our positions on some important gun-related issues in the past. However, over the last eight years, he has worked closely with the NRA to significantly improve his voting record and, since 2002, has a near perfect record in support of gun rights earning an "A" rating in 2010 and also in 2008.

Chet Edwards has supported the Second Amendment by signing:

* The congressional amicus brief in support of the individual rights
    interpretation of the Second Amendment in the Heller case.
    www.nraila.org/heller/proamicusbriefs/07-290_amicus_congress.pdf

* The congressional amicus brief in support of incorporation of the
    protections of the Second Amendment to the states in the McDonald case.
    www.nraila.org/MvCoC/08-1521-tsaccongress.pdf

* A letter, along with 64 of his House Democrat colleagues, to
    Attorney General Eric Holder calling on him to abandon any effort to reinstate the semi-auto ban. (Read the letter here)

Chet Edwards has supported the Second Amendment in his committee activities:

* Congressman Edwards was the deciding vote in the House
    Appropriations Committee to adopt the Tiahrt amendment (protecting firearms trace data from public disclosure) in June of 2003, and has voted pro-gun on every recorded vote in that committee since then.

* As chairman of the Military Construction Subcommittee of the House
    Appropriations Committee, Congressman Edwards has been very helpful in securing funding to improve the housing at Camp Perry for the annual National Rifle and Pistol Championship.

Chet Edwards has supported the Second Amendment by voting:

* For H.R. 5827, a bill to protect the Second Amendment rights of
    persons filing for bankruptcy.

* For an amendment to H.R. 627 to allow right to carry in National
    Parks and Wildlife Refuges.

* For the Childers substitute amendment (Second Amendment Enforcement
    Act) to H.R. 6842 to restore the Second Amendment right to residents of our nation's capital.

* For H.R.5092 to reform and modernize the BATFE, and to protect the
    rights of FFL holders from unfair harassment.

* For H.R. 5013 to protect the rights of gun owners during times of
    emergency by prohibiting the confiscation of lawfully possessed firearms, such as occurred following Hurricane Katrina.

* For the Protection of Lawful Commerce in Arms Act to prohibit bogus
    lawsuits against the firearms industry. (He voted for this bill in 2003 and again in 2005 when it became law, and voted against multiple amendments designed to weaken or gut this critical legislation.)

* Five times to eliminate the ban on handgun ownership in Washington,
    D.C.

* Against an amendment to H.R. 2862 to ban the exportation of .50
    caliber rifles.

* For H.R. 4635, to allow the training and arming of commercial
    airline pilots following the terrorist attacks on September 11.

* Against an amendment to H.R. 2500 that would have mandated that
    records of lawful gun sales be kept by the federal government for at least 90 days.

* Against passage of the Brady Bill.

Chet Edwards has supported our hunting heritage by voting:

* For the Altmire amendment to protect hunting, shooting, fishing and
    trapping on land managed by BLM.

* Against the Inslee amendment to ban polar bear trophy importation.

* Against an amendment designed to prohibit the use of bait when
    hunting bear on public lands.

* Against an amendment to prohibit the use of foreign development
    funds to be used to promote trophy hunting.

* For H.R.1675, the Wildlife Refuge Act, to ensure that hunting and
    fishing would be permitted in the Refuge system.

* For an amendment to H.R. 2929 to permit hunting on all lands in the
    Mojave National Monument in California.

* For an amendment to H.R. 5503 to allow deer hunting in Mason Neck
    National Wildlife Refuge in Virginia.

Chet Edwards has cosponsored the following pro-gun legislation:

Legislation in the 111th Congress:

H.R. 197 (National Right-to-Carry Reciprocity Act) H.R. 442 (Veterans' Heritage Firearms Act) H.R. 1074 (Firearms Interstate Commerce Reform Act) H.R. 1684 (Preservation of the Second Amendment in National Parks and Wildlife Refuges Act) H.R. 2296 (Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives Reform and Firearms Modernization Act) H.R. 5162 (Second Amendment Enforcement Act)

Legislation in previous Congresses:

H.R. 1399 (District of Columbia Personal Protection Act) in the 110th Congress H.R. 4900 (BATFE Reform) in the 110th Congress H.R. 2088 (Veterans' Heritage Firearms Act) in the 109th Congress H.R. 5092 (BATFE Reform) in the 109th Congress H.R. 5013 (Disaster Recovery Personal Protection Act) in the 109th Congress H.R. 5005 (Firearms Corrections and Improvements Act) in the 109th Congress H.R. 800 (Protection of Lawful Commerce in Arms Act) in the 109th Congress H.R. 3193 (District of Columbia Personal Protection Act) in the 108th Congress

Again, thank you for your inquiry and please do not hesitate to share any of your thoughts or concerns in the future.

Sincerely,
    Kyle C
    NRA-ILA Grassroots Division

From: NRA Auto Responder [mailto:nra.auto-responder@nrahq.org]
    Sent: Monday, October 18, 2010 6:33 PM
    To: Membership
    Subject: Contact from NRAHQ web site: none given

Contact type: none give

Name: Kyle Keegan
    Address: 1912 S 5th St APT 447
    City: Waco
    State: TX
    Zip: 76706
    Phone: 7133035039
    E-mail: kylea.keegan@gmail.com
    Membership Number: 155727934
    IP Address: 65.36.21.8
    Message: I am deeply disappointed in the NRA. For the backing of Chet Edwards for house rep of TX district 17. You were quick to write off the conservative candidate because of his lack of history on the second amendment. Bill Flores is a LIFE MEMBER of your own organization. I am going to vote against your "recomendations" because a vote for a leftist like Edwards even though he claims to be pro gun, just furthers the cause of the entire anti-gun left. Gun owners of America, and TSRA endorsed Flores. I will continue to support your legislative force but I strongly disagree with the endorsement of Edwards.

shipwreck

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Beretta City,Texas
    They backed off of Harry Reid because of the public outcry from their members. Chet Edwards isn't as public, as only people in that district really worry about Edwards. So, the NRA can get away with the single issue argument as their justification.

And, the pro NRA guys that try to justify the backing of Edwards over Flores would mostly have had a cow over the NRA backing Reid (had they done so). Well, for us in Edwards' district, it is the same thing.

I'm very upset over their backing of Edwards. And, as you stated, I will give money to any other pro gun group BUT the NRA.

KAK

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Waco
    I understand that sometimes the democrat is more pro gun. However Flores is a life member of the NRA. This is not one of those instances. This endorsement may unfortunately mean the difference for our district. What is with this perverse urge to support liberals?

Anyone got some good talking points for the membership termination letter? I'll post it up if anyone else wants to use it.

shipwreck

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Beretta City,Texas
    I prev discussed this topic at the Fn Forum, and others agreed. At Glocktalk, insanity persevered and pro NRA'ers argued with me on why "I" was making the mistake in my thought process about this issue.

But, it really is unbelievable that they would support Edwards.

Next time I see those guys from the NRA trying to recruit people at the entrance to the large Houston gun shows, I'm gonna tell them to bother someone else.

Top Bottom