Just learned there will be a Top Gun 2 movie.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Big Green

In Christ Alone
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 5, 2018
    College Station
    On a serious note, does anyone know how much flying he (Cruise) is supposed to be doing? I thought I read he was an instructor. As a Navy Captain he should be Skipper of the school and only occasionally flying, at most. If he's spending a lot of time behind that stick that would be unrealistic for an O6. A good plot could be the cranky old Capt. got his good deal school command in lieu of a star. In that case he could be a fairly reckless old O6 who can fly as much as he wants as it's his last command and won't be promoted. Kind of the "What are they going to do, fire me?" mentality.

seeker_two

My posts don't count....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    That place east of Waco....

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    On a serious note, does anyone know how much flying he (Cruise) is supposed to be doing? I thought I read he was an instructor. As a Navy Captain he should be Skipper of the school and only occasionally flying, at most. If he's spending a lot of time behind that stick that would be unrealistic for an O6. A good plot could be the cranky old Capt. got his good deal school command in lieu of a star. In that case he could be a fairly reckless old O6 who can fly as much as he wants as it's his last command and won't be promoted. Kind of the "What are they going to do, fire me?" mentality.

You're inferring that there would be any resemblance of realism in this sequel?!? ;)

For one, no "cranky old captain" unworthy of promotion would be commanding the Navy Strike Fighter Tactics Instructor program (pronounced 'siff-tee'). Secondly, that program is headed by a commander (O-5), not a captain (O-6). Lastly, largely due to the end of the Cold War in the 1990s, the Topgun (one word, as it has always been in the Navy) syllabus was modified to include more emphasis on the air-to-ground strike mission as a result of the expanding multi-mission taskings of the F-14 and F/A-18. How much air-to-ground action are you expecting to see in this sequel? I doubt there will be any...

By the way, an enjoyable piece of historical trivia is that an earlier incarnation of Topgun was called the U.S. Navy Fleet Air Gunnery Units, or "FAGU!" :p

Top Bottom