• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • roadkill

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2013
    I had to buy a foreign jeep to get what Jeep should have offered all along. A simple no frills 4x4. Jeep was so scared of it they sued Mahindra and now the new Roxors are butt ugly with a redesigned front clip. Nevermind that Mahindra has had the rights to produce jeeps since after WW2. Jeep didn’t like them offering them for sale in the states even though they aren’t street legal and are not a direct competitor.
    IMG_6206.jpeg

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    it will still do 80+ down the highway
    Haha yeah it'll do 80+ but it's not exactly enjoyable at those speeds. The LJ is a lot of fun to drive, especially since it has a proper transmission, but the thing below is better in every other way. It'll cruise comfortably at 100 and still have oomf to spare, handles the road great, low NVH, goes everywhere the Jeep can, and does much better on trails and rough road than the Jeep.
    1727189620284.jpeg

go over most terrain despite not being lift 6" and have 40" tires on it!
    Yeah just putting a basic lift and bigger tires on ruins them. You have to do a lot more work to the suspension to actually improve over the stock capabilities.

TJjerry

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 5, 2019
    Magnolia, tx
    I have a 2005 TJ, daily driver, and an excellent 1990 YJ with only 73000 on it that I am about to sell.
    I like the openness, and wind in my face, the turn radius and parking anywhere, compliments I get. The AC and top when I need it where I need it. An old man in a young mans auto.
    Didn't buy it for muddying or rock crawling. I am proud to say that the wife and I have always bought American autos, and that is a bunch over the years.
    MAGA

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Haha yeah it'll do 80+ but it's not exactly enjoyable at those speeds. The LJ is a lot of fun to drive, especially since it has a proper transmission, but the thing below is better in every other way. It'll cruise comfortably at 100 and still have oomf to spare, handles the road great, low NVH, goes everywhere the Jeep can, and does much better on trails and rough road than the Jeep.
    View attachment 476324

Yeah just putting a basic lift and bigger tires on ruins them. You have to do a lot more work to the suspension to actually improve over the stock capabilities.

Need a better example. My ragged out ‘94 K1500 can do that.

Edit: Not 100 down the highway part. The picture part.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Not 100 down the highway part. The picture part.
    That's more the point. Just about any factory vehicle with a low range transfer case and lockers will perform the same, but won't also eat up the tarmac. The earlier Cayennes are really the only other comparable vehicle, but those things are fugly.

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    Maybe you're thinking of the Suzuki Samurai. LOL

Found an interesting link ~

Top 10 Best 4x4 Classic Off-Road SUVs in History.
    https://autowise.com/best-4x4-classic-suvs/

From the article ~
    "Even though the Iron Duke 4-cylinder engine was standard equipment between 1980 and 1983, it didn’t manage to kill off CJ-5. What ultimately lead to its demise, were the SUVs sub-par safety scores. At least, that’s how the general population was lead to believe back then. IIHS practically set CJ-5 up by generating the worst-case scenario conditions while testing it. It was all disclosed in one controversial “60 Minutes” report during December 1980, and people bought it. To be fair, Jeep CJ-5 was 30 years old by then, and it never was intended as safety equipment packed vehicle. Then again, it certainly wasn’t as bad as IIHS portrayed it to be."

Same thing with the Samurai ~

"... All that was flushed down the drain by Consumer Reports magazine, which labeled the Suzuki Samurai prone to rollover. In a similar fashion which IIHS had used to discredit Jeep CJ-5, Consumer Reports only took sudden swerve test into consideration. Needless to say, Suzuki Samurai was as safe as any other vehicle in normal driving conditions, but the damage was done. Sales would soon start to dwindle..."

<>

No, I had a new 1980 CJ7 in Fall ‘79, and some of my friends drove CJ5’s. The CJ7’s 8 or 10” longer wheelbase really lent stability.

The Samurai’s were JUNK. I tried to drive a rented one in the Costa Rican mountains back around 1999; next day, I took it back to the rental agency & swapped it for an older Toyota Land Cruiser.

<>

Last edited:
    Top Bottom