• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    The current buyers don't want a Jeep. They want something comfy and pretty they can bolt all kinds of silly things to, all in the name of being unique.
    ...but they aren't comfy. Sure they are better than they used to be, but they're still noisy and jouncy compared to other modern cars. The Grand Cherokee is pretty nice, tho.

Jeeps used to be reliable. This thing has 170,000mi on it. Has the indestructible AMC derived 4.0L and manual transmission. Replaced the radiator twice (stupid plastic end tanks), the fuel pump, and the PCM. No other troubles.
    1727110111278.jpeg

Of course all manufacturers are putting out shit right now. Not even Toyota can make a reliable car.

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    ...but they aren't comfy. Sure they are better than they used to be, but they're still noisy and jouncy compared to other modern cars. The Grand Cherokee is pretty nice, tho.

When they never leave the suburb, jounce isn't exactly a problem :)

Check out those seats. I swear there's more foam than in my Charger's buckets. Looks like a recliner.
    1727113103717.png

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    <>

No one ever said that real JEEPS were comfort vehicles.

We often see 4WD Rams & Silverados on highways towing JEEPS. Guess WHY?

JEEPS can safely go where pickups & 4-runners can’t. How many times have JEEPS towed Pickups, Cherokees, & Tacomas home from the Outback ?

Yes, some recent JEEPS have too much “luxury”, and the new Broncos are worse.

<>

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!

That's not a Jeep.

Putting a Jeep badge on a Chrysler or Fiat SUV doesn't make a vehicle a "Jeep."

There is only one "real" Jeep, and that line ended in 2006.

The rest has been poor imitations for soccer moms and twinkies who like Taylor Swift (whoever that is!).

I no longer wave to other "Jeeps" with hardtops, doors on and the windows rolled up with the a/c blasting because it's over 90°.

"Real" Jeeps don't have electric windows or locks, and “It’s a Jeep thing” is about as gay as owning a Glock!

Lastly, you can stuff your ducks where the sun don't shine!

Last edited:

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!

Jeeps used to be reliable. This thing has 170,000mi on it. Has the indestructible AMC derived 4.0L and manual transmission. Replaced the radiator twice (stupid plastic end tanks), the fuel pump, and the PCM. No other troubles.
    View attachment 476077

Of course all manufacturers are putting out shit right now. Not even Toyota can make a reliable car.

An LJ! Now we're talking, probably the best modern Jeep made since the CJ-8 Scrambler!

I've had mine since 2007 and it will still do 80+ down the highway as well as go over most terrain despite not being lift 6" and have 40" tires on it!

1727178096762.png

In fact, those two young men in the back are now 24 and 27 years old!

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    I sold a Tacoma to buy my 03 rubicon just saying not everyone makes fun of them.
    However I will say I spend a lot more time fixing little issues than doing mods but wouldn’t have it any other way.

<>

Before buying my most recent two trucks, I took long, serious looks at Toyotas.

8 of 10 Tundra owners I spoke with advised to not buy a Tundra. Half had the runaway throttle control problem.

One of my best Friends (in Austin) has driven Tacoma’s for a decade +. Tacomas have generated the same complaints for years: noisy, uncomfortable seating for most, & expensive repair costs.

The JEEP Gladiator is a set of compromises. I tell those, who ask, this: “The Gladiator is like a Swiss pocket knife; it does lots of things, but it can’t do any of them very well.”

A person having only one vehicle for all-around would do well to check-out the Ridgeline from Honda.

Overall, my biggest complaint re the Gladiator are the Rube Goldberg style ‘mandated’ electronic “safety” features like the unbelievably stupid “AutoPark”.

I understand that all new Fiat vehicles have the “AutoPark”.

After my Gladiator’s 700 miles shut-down which required 2 weeks at Dealer’s for double brain transplants, it has given almost no problems, now at 20k miles.

leVieux

<>

MountainGirl

Hovering
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 22, 2022
    Big Thicket
    The “CJ5’s” were unstable. I heard of them flipping on interstate exit ramps.
    Maybe you're thinking of the Suzuki Samurai. LOL

Found an interesting link ~

Top 10 Best 4x4 Classic Off-Road SUVs in History.
    https://autowise.com/best-4x4-classic-suvs/

From the article ~
    "Even though the Iron Duke 4-cylinder engine was standard equipment between 1980 and 1983, it didn’t manage to kill off CJ-5. What ultimately lead to its demise, were the SUVs sub-par safety scores. At least, that’s how the general population was lead to believe back then. IIHS practically set CJ-5 up by generating the worst-case scenario conditions while testing it. It was all disclosed in one controversial “60 Minutes” report during December 1980, and people bought it. To be fair, Jeep CJ-5 was 30 years old by then, and it never was intended as safety equipment packed vehicle. Then again, it certainly wasn’t as bad as IIHS portrayed it to be."

Same thing with the Samurai ~

"... All that was flushed down the drain by Consumer Reports magazine, which labeled the Suzuki Samurai prone to rollover. In a similar fashion which IIHS had used to discredit Jeep CJ-5, Consumer Reports only took sudden swerve test into consideration. Needless to say, Suzuki Samurai was as safe as any other vehicle in normal driving conditions, but the damage was done. Sales would soon start to dwindle..."

Txdweeb

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2022
    Temple, Tx
    <>

Before buying my most recent two trucks, I took long, serious looks at Toyotas.

8 of 10 Tundra owners I spoke with advised to not buy a Tundra. Half had the runaway throttle control problem.

One of my best Friends (in Austin) has driven Tacoma’s for a decade +. Tacomas have generated the same complaints for years: noisy, uncomfortable seating for most, & expensive repair costs.

The JEEP Gladiator is a set of compromises. I tell those, who ask, this: “The Gladiator is like a Swiss pocket knife; it does lots of things, but it can’t do any of them very well.”

A person having only one vehicle for all-around would do well to check-out the Ridgeline from Honda.

Overall, my biggest complaint re the Gladiator are the Rube Goldberg style ‘mandated’ electronic “safety” features like the unbelievably stupid “AutoPark”.

I understand that all new Fiat vehicles have the “AutoPark”.

After my Gladiator’s 700 miles shut-down which required 2 weeks at Dealer’s for double brain transplants, it has given almost no problems, now at 20k miles.

leVieux

<>
    I know the new gen of both Toyota trucks have had issues I wouldn’t buy one if givin the choice until the bugs are worked out. Mine was a 15 I had 275k trouble free problems minus things I broke from wheeling.

My folks have a 20 wrangler rubicon it’s been in the shop 4x for death wobble and now for trans slipping it only has 18k all stock. As for mine the oem fuel pump has gone out, oil pan gasket I fixed and the rear main, and the exhaust manifold cracked I swapped out.
    The new jeeps are very nice and ride so luxurious compared to mine it’s hard not to want one an your’s is the perfect compromise for jeep/truck.

Top Bottom