• ...and so much more!
  • leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    <>

I have had my new JEEP Gladiator for some 6 months now.

Posting these comments as a warning to anyone shopping trucks today.

The Gladiator looks great, but it can’t function well either as a JEEP or a Pickup, despite having obvious features from. both genres.

Some of the problems are related to the over-complex computer systems, others to the “stop-start-stupidity” “technology”, but it is ike a “horse designed by a committee”.

The bed is small and relatively shallow. There is very little interior luggage space for traveling. I have been unable to get it up to 16mpg, no matter how conservatively it is driven. It is a long vehicle, so can’t turn or park like a Wrangler. And its weight makes it unsuitable to be towed with regular JEEP towing equipment, such as a standard “SmittyBilt” JEEP tow-bar set-up.

I paid premium for this JEEP, but the market is now flooded with them, it doesn’ hold value well.

If I had to do this over, I’d take a hard look at the Ridgeline, Tacoma, & Nissan; or buy a 2-door JEEP and a small Aluminum utility trailer.

Although the newer Ridgeine is a pecuiiar looking vehcle, I believe it to be the mechanically best for most purposes, just not serious mudding or rock climbing. I just need a truck for errrands, hunting trips, and to pull my small Jon boat.

You have been warned !

leVieux

<>
    DK Firearms

Last edited:

John Sam Rayburn

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2023
    Lufkin, Texas
    The Gladiator looks great, but it can’t function well either as a JEEP or a Pickup, despite having obvious features from. both genres.

I wanted a Gladiator because they look Cool as Heck.

But 4,000 pounds of towing capacity for 16 mpg was a deal-breaker.

I think you can pay more and get a 7,700 lbs. package, but a Nissan does 7,800 lbs. stock for a lot cheaper at ~18 mpg.

Whistler

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 28, 2014
    Northeast Texas
    First daughter bought a Wrangler High Tide? recently. Seems over the top to me, loud as hell to ride in. Not certain what she thought she needed that for except our road is virtually impassable in a small car much of the time.
    So far so good, she hasn't had any problems with it but she doesn't take it off road or work it hard.

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    First daughter bought a Wrangler High Tide? recently. Seems over the top to me, loud as hell to ride in. Not certain what she thought she needed that for except our road is virtually impassable in a small car much of the time.
    So far so good, she hasn't had any problems with it but she doesn't take it off road or work it hard.
    <>

My criticisms were re the Gladiator, only.

Past & other current JEEPS; Renegades & Wranglers were/are fine.

Any vehicle, like any boat or house, is a series of compromises. Some work-out better than others.

The Gladiator is awkward at everything.

leVieux

<>
    IMG_0206.jpeg

Last edited:

Big Green

In Christ Alone
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 5, 2018
    College Station
    Either buy the switch that permanently disables the stop-start or remove the small battery that powers it.

it’s not a truck, it’s not a Wrangler, it’s both and neither at the same time. Considering how few people use trucks that size for “truck” things it works.

I’d like one but would prefer a Wrngler for the covered cargo area. Maybe a Gladiator with a camper shell?

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    It’s a JEEP thing. I wouldn’t understand.
    <>

OK
    Either buy the switch that permanently disables the stop-start or remove the small battery that powers it.

it’s not a truck, it’s not a Wrangler, it’s both and neither at the same time. Considering how few people use trucks that size for “truck” things it works.

I’d like one but would prefer a Wrngler for the covered cargo area. Maybe a Gladiator with a camper shell?

JEEP Wrangler 2001 is just fine, just older.

I tried a camper shell back in the 1970’s & hated it for restricted driver visibility.

The Wrangler 2dr has several times the protected luggage area of the Gladiator.

If I add a “bed cover”, the dog crate won’t fit in the covered bed.

I guess I could do like Mitt Romney did, and put a car-top rack for the portable kennel ?

The 101# dog rode fine in the F150 passenger footwell,, but cant fit into the JEEP like that.

<>
    IMG_4165.jpeg
    image_36F4A9F7-2E1F-4A1B-B9A2-FFF80BE3C012.jpeg

Last edited:

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    Ah, gotcha, I didn't realize it was model specific, thanks!
    <>

JEEPS are very tough & capable vehicles, but one must learn their significant weaknesses & limitations.

Modern JEEPS are much more roadworthy & comfortable than older ones.

At least they took the gas tank out of the drivers seat !

<>

BigRed

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 25, 2021
    Midwest
    <>

I have had my new JEEP Gladiator for some 6 months now.

Posting these comments as a warning to anyone shopping trucks today.

Some of the problems are related to the over-complex computer systems, others to the “stop-start-stupidity” “technology”, but it is ike a “horse designed by a committee”.

The bed is small and relatively shallow. There is very little interior luggage space for traveling. I have been unable to get it up to 16mpg, no matter how conservatively it is driven. It is a long vehicle, so can’t turn or park like a Wrangler. And its weight makes it unsuitable to be towed with regular JEEP towing equipment, such as a standard “SmittyBilt” JEEP tow-bar set-up.

I paid premium for this JEEP, but the market is now flooded with them, it doesn’ hold value well.

If I had to do this over, I’d take a hard look at the Ridgeline, Tacoma, & Nissan; or buy a 2-door JEEP and a small Aluminum utility trailer.

Although the newer Ridgeine is a pecuiiar looking vehcle, I believe it to be the mechanically best for most purposes, just not serious mudding or rock climbing. I just need a truck for errrands, hunting trips, and to pull my small Jon boat.

You have been warned !

leVieux

<>

Sadly, I have heard others are disappointed as well.

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    <>

One big problem is that removing the rear seats to get more luggage room is a giant PITA, unlike with a Wrangler.

&

The removable roof panels are absurd unless heading for an African Big Game Safari.

Fiat tried to make it “All things for all people” and failed overall.

Not to be outdone, Ford then came out with a series of small trucks, the Ranger being the only reasonable one. The new Bronco is worse than any Jeep.

This reminds me of other brand-dilution marketing disasters like when BFG began labeling all tires “T/A’s” or when Chrysler sullied the once highly respected Dodge “POWER WAGON” name by stamping it on every pissant 4WD they made.

Sigh. . . . .

<>

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    <>

One big problem is that removing the rear seats to get more luggage room is a giant PITA, unlike with a Wrangler.

&

The removable roof panels are absurd unless heading for an African Big Game Safari.

Fiat tried to make it “All things for all people” and failed overall.

Not to be outdone, Ford then came out with a series of small trucks, the Ranger being the only reasonable one. The new Bronco is worse than any Jeep.

This reminds me of other brand-dilution marketing disasters like when BFG began labeling all tires “T/A’s” or when Chrysler sullied the once highly respected Dodge “POWER WAGON” name by stamping it on every pissant 4WD they made.

Sigh. . . . .

<>
    the poer wagon was a seperate option on the ram trucks!

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine

<>

I was told that any disabling of the computers would void my warrranty.

We all should be concerned that the information recorded & transmitted will be mined by everyone from the insurance companies to the deep state for use against us all.

This is waaaaay to much “big brother” for me and for many; a threat to LIBERTY.

What say y’all ?

leVieux

<>

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    I wanted a Gladiator because they look Cool as Heck.

But 4,000 pounds of towing capacity for 16 mpg was a deal-breaker.

I think you can pay more and get a 7,700 lbs. package, but a Nissan does 7,800 lbs. stock for a lot cheaper at ~18 mpg.
    <>

I haven’t had any towing problem.

Several with Tacomas have told me they can get 21mpg at highway speeds, 65-75mph.

The Ridgeline was a ground-up design after a large survey of what most Americans actually do with their personal pickups. That is one reason there is no 2WD model offering. It also has extensive non - visible storage areas, including one under the bed. It also “drives best”.

<>

Chewbacca7685

Certified Golf Cart Driver
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2023
    Mission
    <>

I was told that any disabling of the computers would void my warrranty.

We all should be concerned that the information recorded & transmitted will be mined by everyone from the insurance companies to the deep state for use against us all.

This is waaaaay to much “big brother” for me and for many; a threat to LIBERTY.

What say y’all ?

leVieux

<>

I agree with ya there. I’m of the belief that they’re pushing vehicles to electric only so they can control you easier i the first place. Don’t like what you said on social media? Your car now doesn’t work for 24 hours etc.

As for Jeeps, I’ve always thought the gladiator looked cool but was completely unnecessary. I’ve always wanted a wrangler but could never justify a practical purpose for it except they do pull easily behind a motorhome. That said, my S10 crew cab is much like the Gladiator. Tiny bed with just a bit more interior space. Crappy gas mileage. 5200lb towing capacity though and at least it will tow behind my motorhome if I pull the shaft. But I paid $5k not $40k lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom