• ...and so much more!
  • Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Texarkana - Across The Border
    I bought a Chinese SKS back in November 2023, 10 months ago, from an online auction. I took it to the range a while back to test fire it. It functioned like a charm. That it did so is a true testament to the design of this weapon. I say that because, tonight for the very first time, I decided to do a fairly detailed strip to clean it. Yes, I am THE Great Procrastinator. I have had guns for two or three years before firing them for the first time, so not cleaning this one in 10 months was no big deal for me. I must say, I did not expect it to be very dirty, the outside was impeccably clean and the bore was bright and shiny when examined with a bore light and the action seemed at least fairly clean. Thus, when I ran a 38 caliber cotton swab into the gas tube and it came back out black as jet, I knew I was in for a good amount of work on this one. About two hours of rubbing, wiping and swabbing later - using Gunzilla as the solvent - I figure the rifle is now about 75 to 80% clean. I stopped cleaning it after a couple of hours of running patches over all parts I could reach and likewise running swabs through things I could get them into. All that along with scrubbing it with a brass brush now and again and after a couple of hours I was fed up and had enough for tonight. In all I used over 75 cotton swabs - both 38 caliber and 22 caliber sizes. I also used over 50 patches of 2.5x2.5" size. The truly odd thing was I needed only two patches through the bore before it was clean, yet the gas tube probably took about 40 swabs and several patches to clean it. Other parts inside were almost as fouled.

I am guessing the previous owner(s) cleaned out any Cosmoline (or whatever the Chinese used in its place) at some point because I found only two tiny spots of what may have been cosmo inside the works and I do mean tiny as in insignificant. The only place on the entire gun that seemed to have a fair amount of preservative on it was the bayonet and it is pretty much baked or otherwise dried onto it. The bayonet is the least of my worries unless it is coated with a poison instead of a preservative like Cosmoline (who knows what the commies have on their bayonets). Back to the prior owner(s), after removing the Cosmoline, I guess the they shot the bejesus out of it. I say so because of all the coal black fouling that was on its innards. When the first swab came out of the gas tube, I could see it in 3D as if it was in bass relief, it was that thick on the surface of the swab. A few more came out likewise and many others came out just plain filthy until the last few were lightly fouled. If I am feeling highly motivated tomorrow, I will clean it all again but methinks it will merely be put back together as clean enough for now. I'll probably clean it again after its next range trip. The reason it is unlikely for me to clean it more tomorrow is that I have another 16 long gun in my apartment, right now, that need their regular maintenance as in a cleaning and lube along with several of my pistols that also are in need of cleaning.

I have to say, it certainly would be nice if gun owners cleaned their guns before selling them. It is obvious the previous owners of this one probably never disassembled it for a thorough cleaning after shooting it. I always try to remember to clean any guns I am selling and will do a detailed stip on them to clean them if I know how or can find a good video or set of printed instructions to guide me. If not detail striped, I will at least field strip it for cleaning. That helps me get excellent feedback on a site like GunBroker (100% positive currently) and it also helps me get return customers when I sell at gun shows. I sure wish everyone would do likewise but I suppose that is a pipe dream of mine at best.

Last edited:

Support
    Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Trigger73
    Top Bottom