Join TexasGunTalk

ISO: War-Era long guns

Discussion in 'Rifles' started by rman, Dec 1, 2019.

1. rman

rman TGT Addict

Sep 7, 2015
    Ft. Worth
    yeah, I'll probably have my eyes peeled for awhile for something cool. Just trying to find a cool Christmas gift for him since his brothers are getting an iPad and dirtbike.

Have always wanted a M1 but realllllly want a Thompson lol.

Sent from my SIG Sauer

Inspector43 likes this.
  2. Inspector43

Inspector43 Everything I Own Is Paid For

Jul 12, 2017
    Colorado County, Texas
    Wow, you are pointed high. I like the direction. At 10 years old he needs a long gun. Each of the boys in my family got a Winchester 12 ga. at 10 years old. My older brother and I each got Model 12's and my little brother got a double barrel.

rman likes this.
  3. Mohawk600

Mohawk600 Well-Known

Mar 31, 2018
    Austin
    Carcano....lol

4. majormadmax

majormadmax TGT Addict

Aug 27, 2009
    San Antonio!
    For under $300, the only real option is a Mosin 91/30. They kick like a mule when shot, and are heavy; but 7.62x54R is still cheap and relatively easy to find. Plus, they spit out some kickass fireballs, especially the carbines!

Capture1.PNG

A SKS would be a more logical choice, but good luck finding a decent one in that price range. They are going for ~$450 these days.

Every other milsurp rifle is out of your price range, and/or not the best choice for a ten-year-old.

5. motorcarman

motorcarman Compulsive Collector

Feb 13, 2015
    Rural Wise County, TX.
    Classic still has SKS for $300 plus shipping???

I just got one (like I needed another??) on Saturday.

I have a few with blade bayonet but this was the SPIKE.

Bozz10mm likes this.
  6. rman

rman TGT Addict

Sep 7, 2015
    Ft. Worth
    just saw, $299 until tomorrow, 339 after that. Not a bad deal, and a cool gun, but the norinco are 1956+

Sent from my SIG Sauer

7. rman

rman TGT Addict

Sep 7, 2015
    Ft. Worth
    Ended up getting the Turkish Mauser. Wood is dirty and upper handguard is a bit worn, but not cracked. Bluing is heavily worn. Action is smooth and the bore is surprisingly clean.

1943, matching numbers, K. Kale, and what appears to be a chech 98 bolt.

Not exactly a combat gun, but it's WWII Era and the turks supposedly helped the axis before teaming with the allies in 1945. So at least we can come up with a cool story for Christmas.

Sent from my SIG Sauer

Big Green and V-Tach like this.
  8. cycleguy2300

cycleguy2300 Member

Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    Recoil on the Enfields is actually pretty relaxed... and while the Mauser action is stronger and can be used for some really powerful cartridges, the Enfield action is smooth, fast and more than strong enough for the .303 round, has better sights than the Mauser and has a 10rnd magazine.

I have had both and shot both, and while I would like another Mauser, just for the history of it, but I would take the Enfield as an overall cool gun if I wanted to have a play around, fun to shoot gun.

I just saw you got the Mauser. Its a cool gun and he and you will have fun with it. Just remember a lot of the old cheap surplus ammo is corrosive, so dont neglect cleaning as soon as you are done shooting. Oops...

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk