• Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    That's a winning plan!

Worst case, have it rebarreled if you don't like what you see after the bore is clear. They rebarrel those Rem 700 actions every day and it's no big deal. A friend had a Krieger barrel installed on his Rem 700 25/06 and turned it into a tack driver! The rifle owner and I took it to the Beaumont range and we ran it through accuracy tests from 200-600 yards. We used the same point of aim and backed it out all the way to 600, checking the drop and the group size. It was pretty amazing!

Chances are very good that the barrel will shoot just fine, but that copper has to go! Removing the fouling is the logical place to start.

Flash
    I agree with everything but the rebarreling part. If it won't shoot "minute of white tail" then just put it up and save it. Don't modify it as it is an heirloom.

If you want a tack driver (and this one isn't what you want) then buy a different rifle.

But everything else is on point. Clean it up and enjoy it. Grandpa would be proud.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I agree with everything but the rebarreling part. If it won't shoot "minute of white tail" then just put it up and save it. Don't modify it as it is an heirloom.

If you want a tack driver (and this one isn't what you want) then buy a different rifle.

But everything else is on point. Clean it up and enjoy it. Grandpa would be proud.

Maybe that's a better plan. My older, estranged sister made sure that I had nothing from my boyhood home and it never occurred to me that this was a keepsake. Sure, keep it as is.

I have some rifle barrels that look like the inside of a coal mine but they shoot just fine. When the rifling is deeply machined into the barrels, it's hard to screw it up. Those barrels don't need a mirror finish to shoot well.

An exception is the Marlin "micro groove" rifling. The rifling is very shallow in those barrels and it doesn't take much corrosion to remove it entirely.

Good advice here! Enjoy!

Flash

sobi1998

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2016
    It still shoots 3" groups at 300yds. It's slowly getting cleaner

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom