• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    Before CHLs I used to carry a 12 gauge with a folding stock (for space) in the vehicle. Had a shelf above the sun visors. Discreetly threw it in a more secure location if I had to stop anywhere (i.e. metal lock box bolted through the floor).

Now I'm lazy, less prepared and only carry a pistol.

It may be legal but a pipe is a bad strategy unless she's planning on being attacked by unarmed midgets. She's probably 18+ if she's in college. There's options out there for <$300 on used and new firearms that are very reliable.
    Guns International

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I don't understand why this has to be so difficult. First, a LEO who stops you can write you for any damned thing he wants to. In court, you may beat the case but you'll still need to defend yourself in court. "You can beat the rap but you won't beat the ride." applies here. The point is to NOT pull the chain of the officer and make him feel that you're on the wrong side of the line.

Before I got my CHL, I carried "T" ball bats and golf clubs in my vehicle. Could you still get written up carrying those things? I suppose so but it's not likely. I picked up the sports equipment at garage sales for a couple of bucks and they were always ready to provide a necessary tune up. Please tell be one thing that your ugly "handle" can do that a cute little "T" ball bat can't do.

Flash

ArielT

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 7, 2011
    Austin, TX
    The law does not reference the "intent" of how you carry it. A machete is an illegal knife, but it too can be carried inside of or directly enroute to your motor vehicle or one under your control lawfully. Nothing illegal about it. That said, outside of your premises or one under your control, or your motor vehicle or one under control there are only a few exceptions to carrying an illegal knife. None of those includes hacking brush. Unless hacking brush is a lawful hunting, fishing or other sporting activity.
    A little off topic, maybe, but how is "sporting activity" defined? Would primitive camping be defined as a "sporting activity"?

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    I guess I'm on a completely different page (planet?) than some of you guys. I don't understand why someone is trying to go to such lengths to figure out a way to "get around" the law. Most of the people I know are "pretty much" law abiding citizens and can, if they choose, get a CHL. Short of that, you can carry "defensive" weapons on or about your person (legally), in your vehicle, etc. as in accordance with the law Or, as Mexican_Hippie said, you can carry a longgun almost anywhere legally. Looks like these particular laws were for the most part written with common sense in mind. Why do folks want to pick them apart and make it complicated? I (fortunately) never put myself in a position to feel like I needed to take a piece of iron or wood and beat somebody in the head with it. I've been on this planet for a long time, lived in Houston, Dallas, Ft. Worth, Waco, etc., in town and out of town and have yet to feel like I need to seriously injury someone. I do carry a weapon and if I have to pull it, it will be real serious and somebody will most likely get shot. What I've read in this thread is that some folks are trying as hard as they can to come as close as they can to get thrown in jail, charged with a crime, and probably sued if they used their "club" on somebody. I'm not trying to offend anyone but I try to sometimes "step back" and think about what I've said. Just my two bits. (flame retardant suit on)

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    A little off topic, maybe, but how is "sporting activity" defined? Would primitive camping be defined as a "sporting activity"?
    I'm pretty sure your immediate campsite is considered a temporary residence, but I'm no lawyer. If you're really that remote and you need to act on something, then just follow the three "esses"

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    c'mon Charlie - by an' large they're young guys that ain't figgered out that beatin' yer head against a brick wall ain't gonna do nuthin' more than give 'em a headache!

shipwreck

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Beretta City,Texas
    I attended a training on what a prohibited weapon was - put on by the DA's office of Dallas County several years ago. Apparently, cops arrest suspected gang members with baseball bats all the time. You better have a good story AND a glove and ball in the car, depending on what you are doing and who the officer if (if you were stopped).

SUpposedly, those mini baseball bats, used to club fish and forsale at places like Bass Pro Shop) are NOT a prohibited weapon.

Anyway, itw as like a 2 hour session of what is and isn't a prohibited weapon... And, how 1 little change to an item would make a non prohibited item suddenly prohibited. Even their office said it was all overly complicated. They had 2 tables full of stuff out to illustrate their points.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Bats are not prohibited weapons, neither are clubs. A bat is not a club unless it is adapted to inflict serious bodily injury or death by stricking a person with the instrument.

Clubs are not illegal to carry in a vehicle now.

if the DAs office was really calling bats and clubs prohibited weapons they were very incompetent.

shipwreck

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Beretta City,Texas
    This was about 3 years ago. I was told that suspected gang members were being arrested for bats, because that was their attempt to have a weapon and to try and get away with it when stopped by uniformed officers. I was told that they were arresting people in Dallas county for having baseball bats and being prosecuted.

Would this happen to a soccer mom? Probably not...

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    This was about 3 years ago. I was told that suspected gang members were being arrested for bats, because that was their attempt to have a weapon and to try and get away with it when stopped by uniformed officers. I was told that they were arresting people in Dallas county for having baseball bats and being prosecuted.

Would this happen to a soccer mom? Probably not...

As I wrote, Bats NOR clubs are prohibited weapons. Look in Penal Code 46.05 and see if you can find bats or clubs. any decent attorney would get those charges tossed in a heart beat.

Top Bottom