Is the FN 509 Worth the Cost or is it just Average?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Straight7Sh469

TGT Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2023
    I've always viewed the FN 509 as worthy of consideration, but too pricey for what it is. I've also read the stock trigger, which is listed as a 5.5 to 7.5 lbs break, isn't very good. That said, some people I respect think it's a good firearm, at least as far as striker fired, polymer framed guns go. Many recommend installing an Apex trigger, but I refuse to pay a high price for a gun, then pour more money into it to make it satisfactory. What do others think about the 509?

Last edited:

Straight7Sh469

TGT Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2023
    Rental guns are a poor representation of any firearm because they're often so beat up. I'm simply asking those who have them whether they like them or not and why.

Sasquatch

30 Super Carry Post Whore 2K Champ
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    Rental guns are a poor representation of any firearm because they're often so beat up. I'm simply asking those who have them whether they like them or not and why.

Look at it this way - a rental gun can give you an idea about the longevity of a firearm. The accelerated wear rental guns see can tell you more about the quality of a firearm than a safe queen.

Personally I've not been super impressed with how flimsy the polymer on some FN guns feel. Glocks flex, yes, but some of the FN's seem even worse. For what they cost, I'd rather have an M&P, a PDP, or a Glock, or a metal framed double action gun. That's just me.

I had a couple precursors to the 509 - an FN FNS9, and an FNP 40 - neither stuck around really long as they didn't live up to my expectations.

Top Bottom