• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    Yep the IRS/Treasury has an enforcement agency. They do raids, often on the bigger side dealing with drugs/cartels/border stuff. The type of work a field office does may be dependent on their geographical location in the States.

grumper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    Austin
    This is nothing new.

ATF was part of treasury dept too remember ? I think they still were at the time they set the Branch Davidians on fire.

ATX_Shawn

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    Austin
    Im just curious why we need 5011 federal agencies with armed forces? Why do we need 101 agencies doing the same job?
    ok my numbers are exaggerated but still.. why wouldn't you simply use local resources?

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Im just curious why we need 5011 federal agencies with armed forces? Why do we need 101 agencies doing the same job?
    ok my numbers are exaggerated but still.. why wouldn't you simply use local resources?

First, 5011 is an excellent description. Secondly, why can't we use local resources? Because locally, many people aren't down with national laws and control. Also...there is the matter of the "other". Someone locally may have loyalty and allegiance to their family and neighbors. Bring in the enforcers from outside and it's all business.

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas

These Federal administrative-type agencies need a way to enforce their laws. A Federal enforcement agency of their own does just that. They do work with local LEAs. But the main job is that of the Fed agency, not local. Jurisdiction on the matter I suppose.

ATX_Shawn

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    Austin
    Well i would agree however the fed sends money to many local pd's for training. I get the loyalty and conflict of interest argument though.

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    re: joint training

Likely the same motivation as the armed forces and joint training & exercises. LEAs have different working particulars and methods, just like the branches of the military does things differently in their respective communities. They do joint training to bridge the gap so there's working cohesion. For mission success, that makes perfect sense.

I'm not forming an opinion either way, just describing the working nature.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Yep the IRS/Treasury has an enforcement agency. They do raids, often on the bigger side dealing with drugs/cartels/border stuff.
    I have personal experience with a major drug dealer who didn't give two shits about the DEA but actually filed "John Doe" tax returns, complete with a suitcase full of cash, to avoid prosecution for tax fraud under the Internal Revenue Code.

Also, on low-level drug raids, the presence of the IRS often hurts the bad guys more and more immediately than anything else. In the immediate aftermath of a drug raid, a Revenue Agent and Revenue Officer tagging along with the task force can terminate the tax year of the drug dealer, demand immediate filing, go through the bare-bones process of an audit, file returns, get them assessed, and get liens down on all the property belonging to that drug dealer within a few hours of the first kick of the door.

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    I have personal experience with a major drug dealer who didn't give two shits about the DEA but actually filed "John Doe" tax returns, complete with a suitcase full of cash, to avoid prosecution for tax fraud under the Internal Revenue Code.

Also, on low-level drug raids, the presence of the IRS often hurts the bad guys more and more immediately than anything else. In the immediate aftermath of a drug raid, a Revenue Agent and Revenue Officer tagging along with the task force can terminate the tax year of the drug dealer, demand immediate filing, go through the bare-bones process of an audit, file returns, get them assessed, and get liens down on all the property belonging to that drug dealer within a few hours of the first kick of the door.

heh yeah, the tax stuff will getcha, especially criminals. Al Capone is probably the posterboy for that.

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    The following is satire, if you believe in a reasonable level of enforcing laws by force, OK, don't get offended, I'm with you and don't like most conspiracies or their adherents. If you're into cop worship as too many people are, then this is for you! 3...2...1.... So gooooooooooo militarized federal cops! Gooooo geared up, armored vehicle driving local police! I sure do think their ACOGs, armored vehicles and neato military uniforms are cool. Im going to buy all the tacticool gear I can, maybe get a black SUV, definitely getting a crew cut. Thermal cameras to see in your house and drones to track us, that's just dreamy! I'm glad im a Beta. It would be hard to be an Alpha. Time to go drink some beer, watch NASCAR and order some pizza! 'Merica!

TXARGUY

Famous Among Dozens
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 31, 2012
    Wildcat Thicket, Texas
    You must live in a vacuum.

LULZ no one can live in a vacuum naturally. Interestingly enough it is the perfect medium to demonstrate the velocity of gravity in any given area of gravitational pull with only a few minor equational tweaks. Also interestingly enough although we often hear mention of "the vacuum of space" a true vacuum atmosphere very rarely exists anywhere in the Universe and when one does it is only exists for brief attoseconds (one quintillionth of a second or 10 to the power of minus 18 of a second), outside of course those created in our labs, the most complete being those created at CERN. It seems that nature truly does abhor a vacuum.

Much less interesting might be my reasoning for this response to what otherwise would have been a normal unassuming statement. I was bored, I felt like using the phrase "interestingly enough" a few times, show my affinity for the Oxford comma, and I generally like to give Shorts a hard time whenever I have the time.

Hope you're having a great day Shorts, because obviously I am.

Now what was the topic again?

ATX_Shawn

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    Austin
    LULZ no one can live in a vacuum naturally. Interestingly enough it is the perfect medium to demonstrate the velocity of gravity in any given area of gravitational pull with only a few minor equational tweaks. Also interestingly enough although we often hear mention of "the vacuum of space" a true vacuum atmosphere very rarely exists anywhere in the Universe and when one does it is only exists for brief attoseconds (one quintillionth of a second or 10 to the power of minus 18 of a second), outside of course those created in our labs, the most complete being those created at CERN. It seems that nature truly does abhor a vacuum.

Much less interesting might be my reasoning for this response to what otherwise would have been a normal unassuming statement. I was bored, I felt like using the phrase "interestingly enough" a few times, show my affinity for the Oxford comma, and I generally like to give Shorts a hard time whenever I have the time.

Hope you're having a great day Shorts, because obviously I am.

Now what was the topic again?

Learn something every day..

Top Bottom