• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • single stack

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2011
    FL
    My iPad died a few days ago. It seems to have fallen into a BootLoop. It would start to boot and shut down.
    Wife and I drove over an hour to the Apple store yesterday. Two techs tried with two computers to make it work again and failed. It was 4 or 5 years old.
    I bought a new iPad and they tried to configure the new one to an even older iPad I brought with me. Operating system was too old so they transferred info from my phone just to have it up and running when we left, 1.75 hours after we arrived.
    The techs said the dead pad could not be repaired, something about the case would be destroyed to replace the core.
    My question is should i put it in a pillow case and smash it or what?
    I feel uncomfortable just putting it in the trash. My trash collector delivers the load directly to a Cogen burn plant in the next county.

Lead Belly

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jun 25, 2022
    Lake Conroe
    Store prefers to sell you new one; here are a few things to try.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2023
    Houston
    Store prefers to sell you new one; here are a few things to try.

Exactly my experience, too. I had success with Restore Mode (#5 on the list). Phone worked for several years after, and I finally upgraded.

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    Taking it apart isn't tough at all. A little heat to soften the adhesive, gentle prying on the clips, and the screen assembly comes right out.

I've had one iPad get stuck in a boot loop. If you put it in DFU mode and flashing fails, at that point you basically give up. Could it be fixed? Possibly, but unless you have the tools and expertise to do it yourself it likely isn't economically viable. I just used it as an excuse to upgrade.

ETA: For disposal, I would ask two questions: 1. Did you have a passcode on the device? 2. How sensitive is the info on the device?

If you have a passcode, everything is encrypted, and there's little risk of anyone but the most savvy hackers can get into it. If you don't has a passcode, you may want to destructively disable it. Everything is stored on the flash chip which you're not going to damage easily without getting into the iPad.

Last edited:

striker55

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2021
    Katy
    You should see what I did to a top of line laptop that lasted longer than it should. Chopped it up before putting it in the trash. Hard drive out of a computer that died I scratched lines on the discs and put a magnet on it. That was years ago, now your information is stolen from companies you deal with.

single stack

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2011
    FL
    Top Bottom