• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tad

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 1, 2010
    weslaco
    I FINALLY got my urbach .22 got a small scope for it took it to the range to sight it in and it shoots....like shit!!! keyholes galore, tried several different types of ammo, same thing, it will shoot 2 or 3 rounds on target and then shoot 4 or 5 like ass, big whopper tumbler holes, or not even on the paper....it also shot 3 rounds that were not "suppressed" sounding at all...I am really kinda pissed about this..anybody have any ideas? is it just some stupid thing that I cant see? there are no burrs that I can see in the barrel, ???? I just dont get it?!?!?!
    Military Camp

Mongo

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Houston area
    Baffle strikes? do you hear a "whizzing" sound as the round goes down range? Could be bad muzzle crown or the porting.

tad

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 1, 2010
    weslaco
    no whizzing sound, from my understanding the urbach is a ported barrel, no baffles inside a big can.....

subhunter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2010
    tyler, TX
    that's a weird one man, you need to get ahold of urbach and see if they have any answers, worse case is an unstable bullet hitting the end piece of the can and there goes your toy, hopefully they will have a simple fix for you, or make good on what they built, best luck keep us posted

tad

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 1, 2010
    weslaco
    I called twice today, no answer....whats got me spooked is some threads from another site that show urbach is crazy slow on fixing things...like a backlog of 3 years :(...I wish I had read those BEFORE i bought the damn thing.....oh well education aint cheap!! we will se what happens!!

subhunter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2010
    tyler, TX
    I second that with ralph smith, RDTS has worked on a couple of my guns and he is great to work with, dont know if he will fix somebody elses screw up but its worth a shot, I thought about it and looked at my mp5sd and it is a ported barrel also within the can, but when its not cleaned and the ports get junked up it does lose some suppression. Another thing I thought about is when I shoot 22 through my pilot, sometimes I get supersonic cracks and others just go click, so there are some variances on 22 ammo consistancies. Also if your getting keyholing then the bullet is probably running slow enough to become unstable and I bet that has something to do with the ported barrel slowing the bullet down too much before it leaves the barrel. What distance were you shooting when you started to notice the keyholing? if its keyholing at 50 yards then I would start at 5ft, 10yds, 20yds, etc. To figure out what distance the keyholing is occuring. If its keyholing off the bat, then you got a major problem, if its keyholing at 20yds then you know that the bullet is going too slow and youve got to figure out how to get it out of the barrel faster, those ports bleed a lot of compression off the bullet so maybe plugging a few ports,if you can screw off the shroud would increase the velocity and solve your problem. just my thoughts but keep on trying to get ahold of the original manufacturer, or call ralph smith, this would be right up his ally.

tad

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 1, 2010
    weslaco
    they were key holing at 25, and the getting waaay off center with a lot of variance, top left one shot low right the next,off the paper,bottom left..just all over the place!!

subhunter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2010
    tyler, TX
    sounds like your shooting a smooth bore musket! check up closer to see if they are still key holing, and if they aren't then you've got to up the velocity of the bullet. Another possible situation is that the port holes are ruffed up from the inside (hopefully it would not pass QC without catching this) and they are cutting some meat into the bullet and its not concentric when it leaves the barrel, that would definitely throw it off. One other thing to try is grab some cci stingers before your next shoot, they are about as quick as a 22 can get and might work also due to the increase in velocity. Hopefully some of these will work and you wont have to send off your new toy.

tad

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 1, 2010
    weslaco
    I unscrewed the can section and looked at the port holes, I cant tell if they are rough or right, I shot cci mini mags through it the first time, I also fed it some fiocchi(sp?) and some federal and remington...I am going to drop it off at the dealer I bought it from in the morning, and let them see what they can do, I am going to give them a shot at fixing it, or making it right, I have an upper sitting in his shop right now with a squib load in it from some ebr sub sonic ammo he sold me :(

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    My G3K was a shot out Fleming 51. Ralph built it into the G3K. He built my MP5K navy as well. He one made a comment about fixing other messed up gun is how he makes his living.

tad

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 1, 2010
    weslaco
    a brand new gun needing an overhaul is some pretty thick bullshit, Sub, I hope he does too, because I have spent some decent money in this shop.

tad

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 1, 2010
    weslaco
    UPDATE: I took the gun in this afternoon and showed the owner the target with giant keyholes...he broke the gun down and on inspection we found that the rear ports had burrs that were not finished off after and we think thats the problem....how he goes about fixing them ??? he said it would be ready in a day or 2.

tad

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 1, 2010
    weslaco
    got the 22 back this evening and have not tested for accuracy yet, but the sound is down to what it should be, very pleased in the sound reduction area.

Top Bottom