• ...and so much more!
  • Rum Runner

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2010
    Plano
    Maybe not no ac, but not much ac.

How come every range I went to in CA was on the verge of chilly and both ranges I have been to in TX feel like walking into an oven?

Why would I pay more money to be in the same heat as an outdoor range this time of year?

The whole reason I chose an indoor range was to get away from the heat, yet I still ended up sweating profusely.

Is it common here not to air condition indoor ranges or am I picking the wrong ones?

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    I think because to ac a range is big bucks as they need to circulate with outside air to clear out the airborne lead etc. FWIW there are a few that have good ac.

Bass Pro - Grapevine, ShootSmart - Fort Worth are two the come to mind. I think the on on Mockingbird, a mile or so north of Stemmons (can't off and remember the name) is pretty good with ac.

SC-Texas

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Houston, TX
    The AC recirculation system and filtration system is massive expensive and requires a heck of a capital investment.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    I believe the EPA requires that, in addition to the normal AC system, indoor ranges must have a SEPARATE system that removes indoor air completely from the range and brings in fresh, outside air. That makes it nearly impossible to keep temps in the 70s with the AC system when it is over 100 outside

rsayloriii

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    H-Town, TX
    That makes it nearly impossible to keep temps in the 70s with the AC system when it is over 100 outside

+1 ... the A/C outlet is only going to be good for a roughly 20 degree drop from inlet temp. So, if it's 100 degree inlet, only expect about an 80 degree outlet. The key to A/C working efficiently is to recirculate the air so that the 100 degree air becomes 80 degree air, now recirculated, you're cooling 80 degree air which will give you 60 degree air. But, if you can't recirculate the air for whatever reason (in this case, the range), then you'll never get much efficiency out of the A/C.

BigBoss0311

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2010
    McKinney, TX
    I am assuming since you are in Plano you went to God-awful Bullet Trap? Please say it ain't so. Targetmasters in Garland has A/C. I will actually go shoot there. I refuse to give my money to Bullet Trap.

TwoOneOh

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2011
    San Antonio
    I think because to ac a range is big bucks as they need to circulate with outside air to clear out the airborne lead etc. FWIW there are a few that have good ac.

Bass Pro - Grapevine, ShootSmart - Fort Worth are two the come to mind. I think the on on Mockingbird, a mile or so north of Stemmons (can't off and remember the name) is pretty good with ac.

FWIW to my knowledge there is no special ventilation requirements from OSHA that directly relate to an indoor gun range. Granted standard indoor working space ventilation/re-circulation laws and standards apply, but nothing above and beyond from that, at least as far as i know. From my understanding working with a large general contractor in the past on a gun range is that there is a higher chance of inhaling lethal amounts of C02 in an indoor gun range due to poor re-circulation (or exhaust depending on their setup) than lethal amounts of lead. Sounds to me like it's either time for maintenance on their AC unit(s) (i.e. coil, thermostat, C02 activator, etc.) or it's poor temperature management on their part.

RetArmySgt

Glad to be back.
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    College Station
    +1 ... the A/C outlet is only going to be good for a roughly 20 degree drop from inlet temp. So, if it's 100 degree inlet, only expect about an 80 degree outlet. The key to A/C working efficiently is to recirculate the air so that the 100 degree air becomes 80 degree air, now recirculated, you're cooling 80 degree air which will give you 60 degree air. But, if you can't recirculate the air for whatever reason (in this case, the range), then you'll never get much efficiency out of the A/C.

This is correct but if your getting a 20 degree drop thats above average. Most systems ive seen will only give 15 per cycle at best.

TwoOneOh

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2011
    San Antonio
    A big difference is also made if you have AC units cooling with Freon or a chiller water system. Obviously in a small indoor gun range freon is i'm sure the more practical choice.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    FWIW to my knowledge there is no special ventilation requirements from OSHA that directly relate to an indoor gun range. Granted standard indoor working space ventilation/re-circulation laws and standards apply, but nothing above and beyond from that, at least as far as i know. From my understanding working with a large general contractor in the past on a gun range is that there is a higher chance of inhaling lethal amounts of C02 in an indoor gun range due to poor re-circulation (or exhaust depending on their setup) than lethal amounts of lead. Sounds to me like it's either time for maintenance on their AC unit(s) (i.e. coil, thermostat, C02 activator, etc.) or it's poor temperature management on their part.

OSHA regulates them on a specific set of rules for indoor ranges.

Top Bottom