• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    I would have put this is the Houston area section but my guess is it's more wide spread than that. Check your local laws.

This story has been running on Houston news since a dog broke free on Monday.

She said in this case, the HSPCA violated a city ordinance.

"Non-profit shelters do not have the legal authority to impound," said Landes' attorney, Zandra Anderson. "As a matter of fact, in the city of Houston, it's a crime to impound animals unless the finder of the animal takes it to BARC. That's not enforced."

"If there is anything that's going on that is illegal, then the public needs to know about it," said Landes. "The public needs to be aware and be protected."

Koda's return comes after Landes hired an attorney Thursday

Spring woman gets her Siberian husky back | abc13.com

I imagine that protocol will be changing at the Houston SPCA post haste, perhaps across the country.
    DK Firearms

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    that sounds like a racket to me.
    why were they filming the lady when they brought the dog back?

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    I am confused. The article says someone found the dog and took him to the HSPCA. Then the article says it is unlawful to impound an animal unless the person who finds the animal takes him to the HSPCA

So what is the point of the article?

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    I am confused. The article says someone found the dog and took him to the HSPCA. Then the article says it is unlawful to impound an animal unless the person who finds the animal takes him to the HSPCA

Houston BARC is not the same as Houston SPCA, re-read the article and see the mention of BARC????

However I don't find the ordinance that says you have to take an animal to BARC and not someplace else as stated in the article.
    https://library.municode.com/index.aspx?clientId=10123
    Code of Ordinances, Chapter 6

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    However I don't find the ordinance that says you have to take an animal to BARC and not someplace else as stated in the article.
    After re-reading, I'm struggling with "impounding". It's not like whoever found Koda and took him to the SPCA, or the SPCA, OR the adoptive family were in collusion to keep Koda away from Landes. Just a chain of events many animal lovers go through.

Anyway, glad dog and owner are reunited.

We got this beautiful creature from the HSPCA who described her as *mix breed*. When we took her to the vet they said she was pure Pyr pup.

Juno1204_zpse2044848.jpg

Last edited:

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    I wouldn't have signed a damn thing (without an attorney present) to get my own dog back. Betcha' they knew they screwed up and were trying to cover their asses! Some groups give themselves a great deal of authority that isn't there!

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!

Probably to make you aware that there some "agencies" around that may be assuming a lot of power they don't have.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    OK, I am still confused. What's the problem?
    They damaged someone's property (the neutering), and then gave it to someone else.

I'm curious about the time line of it, tho. How long had the dog been at the shelter? What is their policy on when new dogs they receive can be adopted?

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    They damaged someone's property (the neutering), and then gave it to someone else.

I'm curious about the time line of it, tho. How long had the dog been at the shelter? What is their policy on when new dogs they receive can be adopted?

So a dog was turned into the HSPCA by a person who found a lost/abandoned dog? The dog had no ID or chip. Am I OK so far? Found dogs are adopted out all of the time.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Yeah, that's why I'm curious about the timing. If it was adopted out the next day; not cool. Need to give the owners time to find out where their dog went.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    setter1
    Top Bottom