APOD Firearms

Immigration reform and another assault weapons ban?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Greg_TX

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2009
    Klein, TX
    Okay, first of all this is not some email rumor or something I've heard any politician say. Don't panic. Just pulling this out of thin air for discussion...

Immigration reform legislation will be on the docket sometime after the 2010 elections. We don't know what it ultimately will entail, but unfortunately we won't be able to vote out enough rascals in November that we won't have to worry about what Congress and the Obama administration will try to do.

One thing that seems to be a certainty is that the President of Mexico, Felipe Calderon, will do everything he can to stick his nose into the debate and try to dictate some of the terms. He already has, in fact: Calderon blasts Arizona immigration law, seeks assault weapons ban - CNN.com. He's made it clear that he wants the U.S. to reinstate the AWB, and Atty. General Eric Holder will almost certainly support it.

Obama has a consistent track record of trying to appease foreign leaders. What's the likelihood that he and some members of Congress will try to placate Calderon by proposing an AWB as part of overall immigration reform in return for his silence while the legislative debate moves along? Any talk of an AWB would be political poison now, but after the elections are over then any liberals left in Congress probably wouldn't worry so much. It's probable that Obama would sign any AWB legislation that makes it to his desk.

Sounds crazy, huh?
    Lynx Defense

West Texas

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 13, 2010
    Texas!
    I think that we will not see it get that far. I think we are headed to a shooting war along the border, not with "mexico" but with the drug cartels that run the place under the Mexican flag.

The "Perfect Storm" is brewing on the border, and with the ecomic ruins that this POTUS is causing, it's no longer a question of "IF" but "WHEN".

I've never thought the people needed to form "Militia" groups...but get to know your neighbors, and have a plan. The ranchers out in our area have had for a LONG, LONG time...

AcidFlashGordon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    El Presidente Cabrone can posture all he wants but if some members of Congress ( those who survive the 2010 midterm elections and who stood and applauded Cabrone's speech) do try something, like reinstating the AWB, they'll find that in the 2012 election cycle, even more of them will bite the big one. But I doubt they'll try that because some of them have been around long enough to remember what happened in 1994...when they lost so many seats the Republicans gained control of Congress. I don't think they're that stupid but then, again, they're all into kissing Obozo's ass and they'll do anything to appease the head Marxist communist.

Now, if my fellow Nevadans pull their heads out long enough to get rid of Pinkie (Reid), that could make some of them a little more "careful" in what they say and do...especially when they see that a career schmuck got his ass handed to him by a virtual political unknown (Angle).

SiscoKid

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    SE TEXAS
    Lots of different ways to look at this. True Obammy would bend over for Calderon to make himself look better to hispanics. But the real issue here is Congress.

Right now we have enough Blue Dog democrats who would not support any new (or old) gun control bills. Holder came out and said it last year in no uncertain words. The question posed is - what will happen when many democrats are voted out and are sitting "lame duck" in November? Will they capitulate and go out in a blaze of glory, guns blazing, supporting gun control bills?

More than likely they are being replaced with gun friendly Repugs from conservative districts. The demos will have to look further down the road, two years or more. If they embarrass themselves by coming off as "Liars", then they harm the chances of a democrat making a run in those districts in the future.

Do I think they are honest, sincere, and won't want to leave in January with a bad taste in their mouths? Will they support Obamma even though it will harm them back home?

Right now, I just don't know.

cuate

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Comanche Co., Texas
    Ayatolla obama and Imam eric holder's power is not unlike a grassburr in a bicycle tire....Going down. The American system which has been undergoing that so called "change" is fed up with that change and Real Americans in November intend to flush the liberal commode in the halls of Congress, zapping the ayatolla right between his horns and snipping off his pointed tail.
    We must and can make the ayatolla not only a lame duck, but a deflated rubber duckie....Like Psalm 109 says, let his days be few and replace him.....

Greg_TX

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2009
    Klein, TX
    I don't think they're that stupid but then, again, they're all into kissing Obozo's ass and they'll do anything to appease the head Marxist communist.
    Looking at how things played out in the health care debate, Congress has shown that they couldn't care less what the people think, and the same goes for Obama. They were hell-bent on passing his agenda regardless of the wishes of the American people. I'm not saying another AWB is llkely to happen, at least not as a standalone piece of legislation. My "what if?" question is more toward whether they would try to weave some version of it into the immigration bill(s). Maybe try to sell it as part of the "border security" solution?

If anything, they ought to pass a law requiring citizens in border states to have adequate weaponry and keep 'em pointed south.

AcidFlashGordon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Looking at how things played out in the health care debate, Congress has shown that they couldn't care less what the people think, and the same goes for Obama. They were hell-bent on passing his agenda regardless of the wishes of the American people. I'm not saying another AWB is llkely to happen, at least not as a standalone piece of legislation. My "what if?" question is more toward whether they would try to weave some version of it into the immigration bill(s). Maybe try to sell it as part of the "border security" solution?

Sneaking something through as a rider...sorry....earmark, would be within the realm of possibility with the underhandedness being shown by many of those currently in office. Put up yet another 2,000+ page POS and they'll pass it without reading it, just like they did with Obozocare (not to mention Pisslosi's idiot comment about having to pass it to find out what's in it).

If anything, they ought to pass a law requiring citizens in border states to have adequate weaponry and keep 'em pointed south.

THAT is a law that I, and I know a lot of other people, WOULD stand behind.
    smileyscopedrifleanimat.gif
    boomsmilieanim.gif

rodbender

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2008
    Elgin, Texas
    My thinking is that the dems in congress know that their fate is pretty much sealed as far as this next election goes and will try to do as much damage as possible before the new congress takes over. Obama probably realizes that his reelction will probably not happen and will go along for the ride.

AcidFlashGordon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    My thinking is that the dems in congress know that their fate is pretty much sealed as far as this next election goes and will try to do as much damage as possible before the new congress takes over. Obama probably realizes that his reelction will probably not happen and will go along for the ride.

It's too bad that the ride Obozo takes can't be one after he's tarred, feathered and ridden out of town on a rail.

ftw13

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Fort Worth
    But if ye will not drive out the inhabitants of the land from before you; then it shall come to pass, that those which ye let remain of them shall be pricks in your eyes, and thorns in your sides, and shall vex you in the land wherein ye dwell.
    Numbers 33:55

Top Bottom