• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TrailDust

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2009
    Kalifornication
    With Windows, you can never have too much security. When I still owned a Windows machine, I ran (on average) 12 different antivirus, spyware detectors, rootkit detectors, etc. to keep the crap out. Heck, even on my Mac I still use a router with full security protocols, as well as running a software firewall and antivirus program. Security FTW!

zembonez

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Republic of Texas
    With Windows, you can never have too much security. When I still owned a Windows machine, I ran (on average) 12 different antivirus, spyware detectors, rootkit detectors, etc. to keep the crap out. Heck, even on my Mac I still use a router with full security protocols, as well as running a software firewall and antivirus program. Security FTW!

You forgot to add tinfoil hat!

I've run Windows based machines since the mid 90s and we have a ton of them on our home and business networks. I can't remember the last time any of them got infected. We run Symantec's corporate suite on the workstations AND servers. Except for the occasional hardware crash, they seem to work completely as intended for long periods of up time. YOU DO HAVE TO KEEP YOUR UPDATES CURRENT!

Freedom1911

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2009
    Saint Louis
    Use to run windows and had to take it in to the shop twice a year to have it re worked to get rid of all the spy ware and viruses. I used at one time Norton, and or McAfee, neither kept my system clean. Went to PC CIllin and it worked great for years in conjunction with about 7 other programs. I got rid of Windows for 99% of my PC needs and have been using different distros of Linux for over 8 years now and the only time I take my PC in to the shop is when I am having hardware issues that I can not figure out.
    Oh...I do have one Windows laptop that I run the MajicJack phone system on. That laptop is only used for the phone and never goes anywhere else on the net. I use AVG and a few other anti spy ware and clean up programs and it seems to be doing fine so far. But again, it only serves that one purpose.
    If MajicJack had a standalone box that ran on Linux I'd buy it in a heart beat.
    Check out the Roku box for NetFlix. Small standalone unit with a Linux OS running it. Just streams movies to your tv from NetFlix. Works like a charm and never any virus problems.

Freedom1911

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2009
    Saint Louis
    It is a BFD if you don't have the money or expertise to keep your windows PC loaded with AntiVirus, AntiSpyware, AntiKeyloggers, Anti Anti everything.

Back in the 80s or 90s I watched a video of Steve Ballmer (MS CEO) saying that "It has never been MicroSofts intentions to make a safe or secure operating system, We leave that up to third party software vender's". I lost any respect for MS and Windows after watching that and went to Linux.

zembonez

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Republic of Texas
    WOW.

The 80s and 90s are over. Not much on the market resembles those early products. Whole new world.

However, I have an experimental Linux box and I like the OS.

Young Gun

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    DFW, TX
    User error, 99.99999% of the time. I've never paid a penny for antivirus software or protection since the early 90's for a Windows based machine. I've never had a virus, never had to fight with malware or popups. I use freeware based AV protection, have a fairly basic home network with no special security or wireless encryption, and don't go out of my way to secure anything really. No issues, ever.

At work we have about 100 desktop workstations, all Windows, all running the same Symantec Endpoint protection. About once a week someone will download a virus. Windows fault? No. User error. The weekly virus is always downloaded by the same users, over and over. No amount of protection or security will stop people from bringing in Virus infected files from home, or stop them from clicking on a blatantly suspicious link, etc. It's always the same users, it's usually the same site they went to last time, and it's always user error. If work would allow me to load the freeware software I have at home on every machine on our network, I bet we would have no more issues. I personally loaded it on my work machine and have had 0 issues in the last year or so, and I'm on the same network as everyone else with unlimited internet access, no download restrictions, etc. Pretty much the same as home access but on the work network.

That's my opinion, as a fairly basic IT worker dealing in desktop support.

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    What Young Gun describes is what we call a PICNIC - Problem resides In Chair, Not In Computer.

Local computer shop geeks - who removed some really nasty stuff that Norton let through into my machine - recommend using AVG and then occasionally scanning with House Call. Sometimes if one doesn't get it, the other will.

Most of the problems I've ever had were from email attachments from friends who didn't know they were polluted. I learned to be pretty picky about what I open.

Eli

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 28, 2008
    Ghettohood - SW Houston
    What are the attackers/hackers going to do ~ write virus's for the 12 Linux users out there or the 12 Billion MS users?
    You do know that over 1/2 the Internet is Linux right? Which is better, infected a lot of limited-connection computers or machines that are DIRECTLY connected to the Internet?
    Sadly, M$ servers are almost as vulnerable as M$ desktops, and are the cause of many of the infected M$ desktops.

kingofwylietx

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2008
    DFW area.....Wylie.
    I've been using Microsoft Essentials at home for a couple of months, no problems. I have to say, I've never had a problem with any computer...so, I don't know if that's helpful. I do like it much better than Norton. Norton is a resource hog and Essentials appears to be easier on system resources.

smschulz

Paid for CUT
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Houston, Texas
    Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members