If Open Carry ever comes to Texas, I hope everyone has.........

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    Actually, that's an old wives' tale; you are actually required to sign the card to validate the agreement between you and the issuing bank; and a knowledable cashier can confiscate the card because it is unsigned! Technically, the are actually obligated to do so; although many are not aware of it.

At a minimum, a clerk can refuse such a card, as without the signature there is no recourse for to the store if the charge is refuted.

Read more here...

Should you sign your credit card or write 'See ID' on it?

And there are numerous other web sites out there with the same info.

So if you think that tactic is a good countermeasure towards credit and/or identity theft, you're sadly mistaken...

Cheers! M2

Actually, I said nothing about "signing" the card. Most of mine are signed (although some signatures are worn so bad you can't read them). I said I write "Check I.D." on them. I do it with a felt tip pen on both sides in big letters! Not on the signature line. Just to clarify. I'm not sad and not mistaken. I think.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Actually, I said nothing about "signing" the card. Most of mine are signed (although some signatures are worn so bad you can't read them). I said I write "Check I.D." on them. I do it with a felt tip pen on both sides in big letters! Not on the signature line. Just to clarify. I'm not sad and not mistaken. I think.

My apologies, most people write that in lieu of a signature. I've had heated discussions with many on the uselessness of it, to include my mother-in-law; but still the myth remains that it is somehow a deterrent...

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Color me a myth-believer, then....I ain't givin' a handwritin' sample on my card. It's actually paid off ONE time - it was obvious that the signature was NOWHERE near mine.....in the great scheme of things, not really a big deal, but then again, if I'm happy with it....<G>

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    My apologies, most people write that in lieu of a signature. I've had heated discussions with many on the uselessness of it, to include my mother-in-law; but still the myth remains that it is somehow a deterrent...

No problem. As I said earlier most of my signatures on CC cards wear off eventually 'cause of a sweaty wallet and just plain old wear. I read that writing "Check ID" on the cards with a felt tip might deter someone from trying to use it in person, but the reality of it is, only about one in 100 times I've used the card when they didn't know me was I asked to show an ID. Oh well.......

just jk

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    dee eff dub
    writing anything other than your signature on the back of your card protects you from absolutely zero, zilch, nada

if it makes you feel better - then so be it - but please recognize it for what it is

if your credit card is stolen - there are enough opportunities to use it illicitly without ever having to hand it over to a cashier

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    writing anything other than your signature on the back of your card protects you from absolutely zero, zilch, nada

if it makes you feel better - then so be it - but please recognize it for what it is

if your credit card is stolen - there are enough opportunities to use it illicitly without ever having to hand it over to a cashier

I agree with most of that but, I don't think it's "absolutely zero" chance that it'll not protect you. Maybe one in a hundred, or a thousand but I aware of a stupid kid finding a wallet outside of a grocery store and then trying to use a CC from it immediately in the store. Having Check ID written on in just "may" work. But again, chances are slim.

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ
    Color me a myth-believer, then....I ain't givin' a handwritin' sample on my card. It's actually paid off ONE time - it was obvious that the signature was NOWHERE near mine.....in the great scheme of things, not really a big deal, but then again, if I'm happy with it....<G>

I have a "special" signature I use on the back of credit cards. They copy that on anything else and it's a sure deal it wasn't me.

just jk

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    dee eff dub
    I agree with most of that but, I don't think it's "absolutely zero" chance that it'll not protect you. Maybe one in a hundred, or a thousand but I aware of a stupid kid finding a wallet outside of a grocery store and then trying to use a CC from it immediately in the store. Having Check ID written on in just "may" work. But again, chances are slim.

i guess you're operating under the assumption that somebody steals your credit card, and doesnt notice the "check ID" written on the back...

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    i guess you're operating under the assumption that somebody steals your credit card, and doesnt notice the "check ID" written on the back...

Remember, I was talking about a high school kid............................ Or maybe it was a middle school kid. And yes there are some that would not notice! After almost 30 yrs. in secondary public education, I can bet on it!

Kimber_me_timbers

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2011
    Dallas
    Most stores have keypads that you use, and the clerk never even sees the credit card, so thats a pointless arguement, not to mention, all banks provide fraud protection so if you lose your wallet and some punk charges up your cards, you arent liable for the charges.

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    Most stores have keypads that you use, and the clerk never even sees the credit card, so thats a pointless arguement, not to mention, all banks provide fraud protection so if you lose your wallet and some punk charges up your cards, you arent liable for the charges.

Not pointless if you live in a rural area where there are still lots of places that run the card for you. And after all guys, it certainly doesn't hurt anything to write that on your card, does it?? Doesn't matter, I'm done. This thread is supposed to be about open carry.

shooterfpga

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Conroe, TX
    depending on the state,you dont legally have to produce state or government id. you only have to merely state your name. also, how can you legally practice open carry, if everyone tells you to stay at home. third, again depending on state, you only need to produce your firearm for a serial check and thats the most they can do, during a stop.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

ChunkyMonkey

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2011
    San Antonio, Tx
    I always personally laugh when the minimum wage employee takes my ID and credit card and examines the signature like they're some sort of FBI handwriting expert. I generally take my receipt and hold it to the light and examine it just to be a smart ass.

lol...I don't know if y'all ever saw the online blog from DrunkRepublic where he played games on the Electronic signature machines. His site is down, but this is quoted from a cached viewing.

Over the past 6 months, I have been playing a fun game with my credit card company. The game finally backfired on me today and led me through the most hilarious moment of my life. Most people would have been embarrassed, but me, I'm a little twisted, so I laughed all the way through it like an ass hole.

With any story, there is a setup process. Here is the setup to this story. About 6 months ago, I was making a purchase with my credit card and when I went to sign the electronic signature machine, it was broken. By broken, I mean that when I touched the pen to the machine, it went crazy and didn't look anything like my signature. It looked like a drunk 4 year old signed my name for me. It accepted the signature without any problems. So this really made me wonder what I could do to give my credit card company something to laugh about. I mean, they obviously don't review the signatures since they never called me or declined a purchase. For ****s sake, it could have been a stolen card.

I started out modest by signing with a line or an "X". Occasionally I would do last name first. After a couple of months, I became bolder. I wrote goofy ****, drew pictures, etc. Here's a list of some of my favorite signatures over the past few months:

I AM NOT KINGPIN
    I STOLE THIS
    **** OFF
    **** YOU
    WALMART SUCKS
    CALL ME
    CROTCHY CROTCHINGTON
    MY BALLS ITCH
    I'M A CRIMINAL
    THANKS FOR THE STUFF

Today I went the extra mile. When it came time to sign my name, a thought popped in my head. I should draw a picture. But what picture should I draw? I smirked as something completely juvenile came to me. This is a rough drawing of the signature that I provided:

http://www.drunkrepublic.com/images/.../signature.jpg [picture of male genitals]

Yes, I know, it's not my best artwork, but I didn't have the time to be elaborate with the drawing. I had to look like I was providing a signature. Right after I hit "OK", there was a pause. The register then said "COMPARE SIGNATURE ON SLIP TO CARD." One thought popped in my head: "OH ****!" It then printed the receipt and there in black and white was my ****ty drawing of cock and balls. The lady at the register didn't immediately look at it. She asked for the card. I handed her the card and she flipped it over. Then she brought up the receipt and she smirked, but then took a stern tone and said "These signatures don't match."

At this point I was in tears from trying to hold back my laughter. I tried to explain to her why I had done it, but it didn't matter. I probably didn't make sense as I laughed hysterically through the explanation. She then paged the manager and I erupted in laughter. The guy behind me in line got a glimpse of my signature on the receipt and began laughing. The manager comes up and the woman from the register begins whispering to him. I then hear a few words "he drew a penis..." as she holds up the receipt. The manager blurts out a short laugh and then controls it. He turns to me and I'm out of breath from laughing and I'm still giggling like a schoolgirl.

Manager: Sir, your signature...heh...umm...doesn't match the signature on your card.
    Kingpin: I know and there is a good reason for that.
    Manager: (quietly) You drew a penis on my credit card machine.
    **The guy behind me bursts into laughter.**
    Kingpin: Yeah, I didn't think this would happen. I've been trying to see how far I could go with my signature before the credit card company did something about it.
    Manager: I guess you learned your lesson.
    Kingpin: Yeah, the credit card doesn't accept penis.
    **The guy behind me now can't stop laughing.**
    Manager: OK, I'm going to decline the signature and have you sign it again.
    Kingpin: Fair enough.
    Manager: This time, really sign it.

So I had to sign it again and they wouldn't let me keep my artwork. Those bastards. I had singlehandedly broken up the monotony of their daily routine and given them something that they will be talking about for years to come and they wouldn't let me keep it. They will tell their grandchildren about the guy that drew cock and balls as his credit card signature.

So I have a plan now. I'm going to get a new credit card and sign the back with my cock and balls drawing. Then I will consistently use that as the signature. That way, if I ever get caught in the same situation, the signatures will match. That will really **** with them.

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    depending on the state,you dont legally have to produce state or government id. you only have to merely state your name. also, how can you legally practice open carry, if everyone tells you to stay at home. third, again depending on state, you only need to produce your firearm for a serial check and thats the most they can do, during a stop.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
    Mostly incorrect

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Support
    Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member