• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    But do you have or did you have (before the accident) a boat?
    1655120139710.png

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    LOL.

Retired so it does not matter but since you asked :rolleyes:, I was with the Border Patrol, Customs Patrol, Customs Office of Investigations & Homeland Security Investigations and had temporary assignments to the Secret Service and Federal Air Marshals - always border related and never was with ATF/BATFE. I promise, really, I am retired. :popcorn:
    Well then, put it this way. The storm came out of nowhere, so the boat was tragically lost, and if it wasn't for that dolphin helping me to shore, I would have been lost too.

hullhullhull

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2022
    El Paso
    Want

Because they are fun, shooting one at a high level of competence is a challenging skill that I find rewarding to pursue, shooting guns is a part of the culture and tradition of my family, and AR-15s are among the best options currently available that fits my budget.

Need

Because I have obligations as a father, husband, Soldier, and citizen:

To ensure the safety of myself and my family by protecting them against illegal uses of lethal force.

To the oath I took to support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic.

To preserve the democracy of this republic as the best guarantee of liberty for generations to come.

gll

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    The AR-15 is America's Rifle; the nearest to the military issue rifle that the militia can readily acquire.

Every American, who legally may, should own one and be reasonably proficient in it's use and maintenance.

stuhoevel

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2020
    San Antonio
    I switch between two answers;
    1. Because I can.
    2. Because I want one.

For a recent purchase my answer was a third choice;
    3. Because some basement dweller said I couldn't. (It was a small desktop mini cannon.)

DougC

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2021
    Texas
    The failure to comprehend the 2nd Amendment runs deep!

I wonder if the Founding Fathers felt obligated to explain why they had guns?
    So true. The Constitutional illiteracy among low-information voters is quite high as seen during the talk/marches when the leaked Supreme Court possible decision about Roe vs Wade. So many think that overturning that 1973 ruling will ban it nation wide instead of returning abortion law to the States per 10th Amendment.

No, I wouldn't think they had to explain why they had guns as I recall some parts of Federalist papers and quotes of Founding Fathers about gun ownership. Just think our country went for 1776 to 1934 before there was any significant federal gun laws.

kyletxria1911a1

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    kyletx
    LOL.

Retired so it does not matter but since you asked :rolleyes:, I was with the Border Patrol, Customs Patrol, Customs Office of Investigations & Homeland Security Investigations and had temporary assignments to the Secret Service and Federal Air Marshals - always border related and never was with ATF/BATFE. I promise, really, I am retired. :popcorn:
    Ahhhhhhhhh Ahhhhhhhhh run forest ahhhhhhhh
    Sorry

Mills

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 22, 2020
    Texas
    Possible replies:

Because every red blooded American should have one.

Because the commies don’t want me to have one.

Just to piss you off.

What ? Are you writing a book ?

bearinguy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 30, 2022
    MN
    If asked why I WANT an AR-15 I would simply reply 'why do you ask the question?' It is none of their business, etc.

But if you want of provide a more informed reply take a listen to this video from two well informed gun guys; Ken Hackathorn and Massad Ayoob talk about the parallels between the development of personal defense and law enforcement weapons, and why the AR-15 is an entirely appropriate weapon for defending your home.

And for another take try this blog post on Red State why some folks really do NEED an AR-15 pattern rifle.
    Okay, here I go again!!! Years ago I went prairie dog hunting for the first time with a friend. I scrambled to get a .223 Rem barrel for my T/C Encore, which I bought with the .50 cal barrel. I ordered a Bergara, which took too long to come, so I cancelled that and ordered the bull barrel from T/C, a dealer, actually. A few years ago, after having a very fine trigger job done on the Encore, I got my best one shot kill with that rifle at 466 yards. In the meantime, my friend finally talked me into a black rifle. You see, I had one jam on me at MCRD in San Diego back in 1975, and ever since I never really thought much of them. My friend and I would have that conversation, and he would always end it by saying "ya know, they've come a long way in 40 years...." So one night I'm perusing Gun Broker and I spy two Ruger SR556 VT's, one of which was about an hour away from my office. As I'm drooling over that, my wife comes down the stairs, and before I notice her, she's right beside me, looking at the screen and asking what I'm doing. I replied that I had been thinking about one of these rifles for a couple years, and that it would be great for prairie dog hunting. She said "Well, you haven't bought a gun for a while, maybe you should get one!" Being a shameless opportunist, I hit "Buy It Now" and sent a message to the seller saying that my office was an hour away and I would see him in the AM!!! I brought along a scope I had for it, they had the mounts & such at the shop, so I paid the man and off I went. I could go on about what a great purchase that was, once I got the trigger figured out {bought a Giessele 2 stage enhanced, actually from Brownell's, # BG-E}. The trigger it came with was what I call a "three stage". There was the first take up, kinda like a two stage, but then there was this weird "twilight zone" stage, and then the let off stage. I even sent it back to Ruger, but I think they're too worried about litigation to get the trigger right. The first year I took that out for the dogs I ended up having to go back into Mobridge for more ammo. It kinda went through it faster than the Encore. Now the comment from my buddy was "Ya know ya gotta let the barrel cool down!!!" I had two mounds with maybe a dozen dogs on each, the young ones that are dumb enough to hang around when the shooting starts, and I just started on one side and worked my way across, watching the V-Max bullets do their thing as the dogs flew out of the scope!!!

Now then, about this time whoever asked me about why I bought a black rifle is either shaking their head up & down in agreement, or their eyes are all glazed over because they have no idea what the hell I'm talking about. In the first case, they can ask me all the gun questions they want, 'cuz we're both gonna enjoy hell out of the conversation. As for the latter, they just kinda wander off behind the little animals and are no longer a problem for me. At least that's how I handle it!!!

Some of my buddies have taken to calling me Gabby. I think it's because of my bad knee that my doctor won't do anything about because I'm too young. I have no idea why else it would be????

Top Bottom