• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • skfullgun

Dances With Snakes
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 14, 2017
    In the woods...
    Deadliest, not even close. The 1900 Galveston Hurricane killed at least 6000 but est up to 12k. The entire Strand district was a morgue and they had to burn huge piles of bodies. The smoke could be seen from Houston
    Exactly. See post #13.

The most accepted “guess” regarding deaths, is 8k

My Great Grandfather worked on repairing the rail line between Houston and Galveston following the 1900 storm. He never would eat crabs after that. He said he cleaned up corpses, and when they would pick them up, crabs would crawl out of the abdominal cavity of the bodies.
    Guns International

Last edited:

BeatTheTunaUp

Fux with the best, Die like the rest
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 17, 2012
    Temple TX
    Exactly. See post #13.

The most accepted “guess” regarding deaths, is 8k

My Great Grandfather worked on repairing the rail line between Houston and Galveston following the 1900 storm. He never would eat crabs after that. He said he cleaned up too corpses, and when they would pick them up, crabs would crawl out of the abdominal cavity of the bodies.
    Damn! I go to Galveston at least once a year and do a ghost tour to kill some time and heard some gruesome stuff, but that's gross. Some stories that stuck out were women were hanging from trees by their hair like piñatas and had to be cut down from them. Marshall law set in and they made the surviving men go around with a cart and collect bodies. One guy broke down and said he couldn't. They shot him on the spot, through him on the cart, and suddenly no one else had a problem.

bbbass

Looking Up!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2020
    NE Orygun
    Thanks to all lineman, without them we'd be in deep...

Wichita loves them!

I don't get it. Seems that many of the MSM is trying to blame hurricane Ian's intensity on climate change.

I still remember seeing the devastation from Camille when me and my mother were moving from the Bahamas to Las Vegas in 1971. Camille hit in 1969. Yet climate change is to blame for Ian? Camille was a category 5 hurricane.

How is Ian, a category 4 hurricane, more intense due to climate change?

Not sure about the deadliest, but I believe the most intense recorded hurricane to hit the US was the Labor Day Hurricane of 1935. Bet they were blaming that on climate change too.

I visited the folks in the Tampa Bay area just after Andrew (1992 - Cat 5)... it was bad, the landscape/seascape really changed!!!

BigRed

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 25, 2021
    Midwest
    My Great Grandfather worked on repairing the rail line between Houston and Galveston following the 1900 storm. He never would eat crabs after that. He said he cleaned up too corpses, and when they would pick them up, crabs would crawl out of the abdominal cavity of the bodies.

Yep.

The day after his wife disappeared in the hurricane a man answered his door to find two grim-faced Texas Marshalls. "We know it's late, sir, but we have some information about your wife," said one of the Marshalls

"Tell me! Did you find her!?" the husband shouted.

The Marshalls looked at each other. One said, "We have some bad news, some good news, and some really great news. Which do you want to hear first?" Fearing the worst, the ashen husband said "Give me the bad news first."

The second Marshall said, "I'm sorry to tell you, sir, but this morning we found your wife's body in the bay."

"Oh my God!" exclaimed the husband.

Swallowing hard, he asked, "What's the good news?"

The Marshall continued, "When we pulled her up, she had 6 twenty-five pound crabs and 12 good-size lobsters clinging to her."

Stunned, the husband demanded, "If that's the good news, what's the great news???"

The Marshall answered, "We're gonna pull her up again tomorrow".

FNORD

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    HOUSTON
    That was my point about Camille. Even more than 2 years after the hurricane the devastation was clear to see.

A friend from Mississippi told me of the 100-200 year old live oaks as well as everything else wipe away by Camille.

Like Rita here that wiped out trees from the coast through Beaumont to Jasper and beyond. Jasper County was 90 forested and had a double canopy with 150 foot trees.

Rita spawned an estimated 10,000 tornadoes all the way to Conroe.

The devastation will be visible more than a lifetime. This is an isolated example, and not the only one I’ve and we’ve seen here and along the entire Gulf Coast.

I saw the slab strewn coastal plain where Cameron, La was wiped away a by Audrey a couple of days after my 4th birthday. A lasting impression. How many times since has it been rebuilt.

dsgrey

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    Denton County
    A friend from Mississippi told me of the 100-200 year old live oaks as well as everything else wipe away by Camille.

Like Rita here that wiped out trees from the coast through Beaumont to Jasper and beyond. Jasper County was 90 forested and had a double canopy with 150 foot trees.

Rita spawned an estimated 10,000 tornadoes all the way to Conroe.

The devastation will be visible more than a lifetime. This is an isolated example, and not the only one I’ve and we’ve seen here and along the entire Gulf Coast.

I saw the slab strewn coastal plain where Cameron, La was wiped away a by Audrey a couple of days after my 4th birthday. A lasting impression. How many times since has it been rebuilt.
    The remnants of Rita come up through NE Texas and produced a heavy hailstorm in Fannin County. I remember since my roof had to be replaced and Germania insurance listed the cause as hailstorm from hurricane Rita. I thought it funny since I was over 300 miles inland.

popper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2013
    IIRC the Galveston death toll was great as there was a orphan school that was blown away. The doc's office was filled with mud so they built another floor above it.
    I got into Corpus day after Carla, Base was pretty much a mess. Only natural disaster I haven't been in is volcano and I'm waiting on Yellowstone. If they keep digging that deep hole, may not be too long.

BeatTheTunaUp

Fux with the best, Die like the rest
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 17, 2012
    Temple TX
    IIRC the Galveston death toll was great as there was a orphan school that was blown away. The doc's office was filled with mud so they built another floor above it.
    I got into Corpus day after Carla, Base was pretty much a mess. Only natural disaster I haven't been in is volcano and I'm waiting on Yellowstone. If they keep digging that deep hole, may not be too long.
    The orphanage was where Walmart currently sits. It's the only Walmart to close nightly. They couldn't keep employees because of ghost activities in the toy section. Story is that 9 nuns tied a rope around their waist and had 10 kids each. They found a nun on the beach the next day but noticed the rope. As the pulled it, out came a kid, then another and so on for all 90 of them. When I stayed next door at the condos, I swear one of those kids hid my wedding ring for a few hours while we panicked only to find it right out in the open.

Top Bottom