Guns International

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    Those Toyota Hilux's are some bad-ass trucks. Pretty much the Toyota version of the HMMWV. I've seen them put through extremes from Antartica to the Sahara. Man, I want one lol

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    I always wondered on the snorkel kits. So the dash gauges and wiring can take the water? I'm no stranger under the hood.

Just kinda if'y on if it would be needed. Hell the air filter alone is 4' off the ground. There floor board would be under 6" of water before it mattered.

What about the ECU? Thats under the kick panel....It's sealed...kinda. Not waterproof

You'd have to seal the distributor too. And spark plug wires. Unless that things a diesel.

RandomHero

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2011
    Northwest San Antonio
    Those Toyota Hilux's are some bad-ass trucks. Pretty much the Toyota version of the HMMWV. I've seen them put through extremes from Antartica to the Sahara. Man, I want one lol

Top Gear (UK) trashed one a few years back.
    The Hilux has gained a reputation for exceptional sturdiness and reliability, even during sustained heavy use and/or abuse, and is often referred to as "The Indestructible Truck". This was further reinforced on the BBC motoring show Top Gear, when a 1988 diesel Hilux with 305,775 km (190,000 mi) on the odometer was subjected to extraordinary abuse (in series 3, episodes 5 and 6). This consisted of driving it down a flight of steps, scraping buildings, crashing headlong into a tree, being washed out to sea, and being submerged in sea water for four hours, driving it through a garden shed, dropping a caravan onto it, hitting it with a wrecking ball, setting its cabin and bed area on fire,[18] and, finally, placing it on top of a 73 m (240 ft) block of apartments that was next destroyed by a controlled demolition.[19] Although it was now suffering from severe structural damage, the truck was still running after being repaired without spare parts, and with only typical tools that would be found in a truck's toolbox, such as screwdrivers, motor oil, and an adjustable wrench.[20] The Hilux currently rests as one of the background decorations in the Top Gear studio

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I always wondered on the snorkel kits. So the dash gauges and wiring can take the water? I'm no stranger under the hood.

Just kinda if'y on if it would be needed. Hell the air filter alone is 4' off the ground. There floor board would be under 6" of water before it mattered.

What about the ECU? Thats under the kick panel....It's sealed...kinda. Not waterproof

You'd have to seal the distributor too. And spark plug wires. Unless that things a diesel.

Most vehicles start pushing up a wall of water up front before it would reach the electronic in other places which can get sucked into the intake which is usually move into the front fender well to get cooler air.

So I guess the snorkels help to a point.

Wonder if it has a way to disable the fan, wouldn't want it to kick on with a bunch of water around it......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    Most vehicles start pushing up a wall of water up front before it would reach the electronic in other places which can get sucked into the intake which is usually move into the front fender well to get cooler air.

So I guess the snorkels help to a point.

Wonder if it has a way to disable the fan, wouldn't want it to kick on with a bunch of water around it......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This one doesn't even have a snork..

0.jpg

I want this one, but in another color

2012+Toyota+Hilux_07.jpg

Said to being made in obama's birthplace of Kenya...West Africa. Diesel powdered.

Snagged this off wiki

Roscoe

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2009
    Magnolia
    Pakistani military has hundreds of them. They all have a .30 mounted on the roof. Most of the hiluxes you see
    in Pakistan and Afghanistan are diesels.

Stukaman

Well-Known
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 26, 2011
    Fort Worth
    Only reason I bought my dodge was cause I wanted a diesel, the big three don't want little diesels here can't make as much off them as they can 3/4 or 1 ton pickup :-/

alexrex20

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2011

The electronics can take a lot more moisture than you would think. Anyway, people that modify their vehicles to the point of needing/wanting a snorkel, also address the issue of keeping the main PCM away from any water ingress. Water in the cab isn't nearly as big a deal as having a locked up motor. The snorkel is not so you can go play around in the the bayou; it's for people that actually depend on their vehicles to keep them alive in inhospitable places like the remote jungle, desert, etc. Of course, as with any type of vehicle, the technoloy and the "look" trickle down to the mall-crawling consumer market so you see snorkels on little Jeeps that have been driven less off-road than your neighbor's minivan.

I've had my entire engine bay submerged, with plenty of water in the cab, in my little Nissan. It doesn't have an external snorkel, though I did reroute the intake to take in air from way up inside the fender by the firewall. It's away from any potential splashing, and much higher than I would ever purposely allow the water to get. Yes, I pretty much ruined the interior, but at least the motor didn't quit and I was able to drive it home.

This was out at Big Bend National Park. We were camping in the backcountry and got hit by a torrential downpour. Our camping area was flooded and the entire region had flash floods everywhere. Trying to get out, we crossed 2 water crossings successfully, before nearly getting swallowed by the 3rd one. Luckily, there was a second vehicle with us so they gave us a little tug from behind to pull us out.

It's all about being prepared. Not actively seeking it.

alexrex20

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2011

On my Nissan I converted to an electric fan with auto controller and also a manual override (for always-On or always-Off), specifically for this kind of situation.

Top Bottom