Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    The toilet is leaking. OK, I'll fix it tomorrow. First I need to turn off the water but it's on old valve and stuck. Hit it with some penetrant and came back the next day.

Still stuck so I twist that knob hard. It breaks. Joy.

OK, not so bad. I intend to replace the valve anyway so who cares if I screw up the splines? Grab hold of it with pliers and twist. The water is off. The pipes seemed to flex a bit but I thought nothing of it.

Being lazy and busy (bad combination) I don't get to it right away. The next day, I'm walking up the stairs on the other side of the wall where the toilet is located and I hear water flowing.

Uh-oh.

The leak isn't bad but I obviously broke a pipe or a seal inside the wall behind the toilet. A couple of gallons of water have seeped out from under the wall into the water closet. The fix has now reached the point where I step back, recognize my own limitations, and write a check.

I fill a few containers for flushing and turn off the water outside. I'm hitting the sack now and I'll call a plumber tomorrow.

Home maintenance sucks.

/rant

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    The house I live in was bought as an investment due to the location. When I we moved I told the wife there where only 3 things I would maintain A/C, water & the roof. The house has been paid for 10 years. Put a new roof on 3 years ago & now feel I need to stay another 7 to get my money out of it. Kind of hoping it becomes worth 6X what I paid for it next year.

Maintaining a house does suck! Maintaining a shambles that's land value is worth a shit load makes it better!!

Chirpy

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    Hutto, TX (kinda)
    Every time I hear a talking head on TV spout off about "jobs Americans won't do" all I can think of is that they lease a condo in New York. Homeowners do these nasty jobs all the time just trying to save money.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    The toilet is leaking. OK, I'll fix it tomorrow. First I need to turn off the water but it's on old valve and stuck. Hit it with some penetrant and came back the next day.

Still stuck so I twist that knob hard. It breaks. Joy.

OK, not so bad. I intend to replace the valve anyway so who cares if I screw up the splines? Grab hold of it with pliers and twist. The water is off. The pipes seemed to flex a bit but I thought nothing of it.

Being lazy and busy (bad combination) I don't get to it right away. The next day, I'm walking up the stairs on the other side of the wall where the toilet is located and I hear water flowing.

Uh-oh.

The leak isn't bad but I obviously broke a pipe or a seal inside the wall behind the toilet. A couple of gallons of water have seeped out from under the wall into the water closet. The fix has now reached the point where I step back, recognize my own limitations, and write a check.

I fill a few containers for flushing and turn off the water outside. I'm hitting the sack now and I'll call a plumber tomorrow.

Home maintenance sucks.

/rant
    Maybe next time try a Vise Grip on the supply line to the toilet if the handle won't turn. Just pinch it off to stop the water.

Live and learn Ben.

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    Older houses always present fun challenges. Heck, new ones do too! I don't mind doing home repairs and upgrades, but there's one I'm really thinking I'll hire in for. I need to install some recessed lighting in my living room (like 8-9 cans), but they're going in a vaulted and kinda high ceiling that's almost all exterior and insulated. Anyone have an electrician up for the job?

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Oh, joy.

Apparently water from a broken pipe in the wall has the uncanny ability to cross multiple rooms and pool in the one place in the house I really want to keep dry, my gun storage closet. After the plumbing is done, I'll be moving tons (literally, I think) of guns and ammo (none of it on the floor, thank God) out of that room so that I can rip out the carpet, dry the area, and then put everything back in.

This just keeps getting better and better.

On the other hand, this is perhaps the only time in my life when I've been thankful that I have light storage cabinets instead of a full-size gun safe.

stdreb27

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    Corpus christi
    Lol. Im almost getting good at plumbing at my house. It's been 100 bucks a month in supplies for something every month the last few months

I've decided to start paying myself. So I've gotten 3 eBay reels. And a new pole. Makes it ok.

I also have a new faucet in my truck for tonight. :(

TexasBrandon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 14, 2011
    Salado
    This house I bought in Salado has been nothing but a disaster since we moved into it last year. My newer home in Harker Heights was much better but I can't stand living next to that many people and wanted my space. The homeowner seemed to be a "mr Fixit" as I call him and do everything himself in a half-assed and code violated way. Not sure how the inspector missed the code violations and told me most everything was good. I've spent over 1.5 grand in the last year getting things fixed, yesterday I had to get a plumber for a clog I have had for awhile, ended up busting a pipe. I'd sue but it would cost more in lawyer fees for undisclosed issues and/or inspection fraud than it would be worth. Next house I buy in Salado is being built, warranty and all.

TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    A good friend and I were having this very conversation a few days ago. We were reminiscing about apartment life and the fun we had. Ben if it makes you feel any better I've been in that place you are in before so I can feel your pain.

Top Bottom