• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • N2rock

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2013
    Sugar Land
    May not be the right forum for this, but...

A brief background- I grew up in the country and had guns from young age. During my 20's, do to lack of time to shoot and the need for money, I ended up selling my guns.

Fast forward to now, I'm in my late 40's and recently started got back into guns. Me and my wife both enjoy going to the range. And while punching holes in paper is enjoyable, I can tell that it will lose it's appeal rather quickly- moreso for my wife as she is already becoming bored.

Hunting is not our thing. I looked into Appleseed, and while it sounds fun, there's just no events close enough. Anything we do needs to be near Houston because we need to stay near home- we have 3 dogs so putting them in a kennel would get too expensive, not to mention that one of the dogs is not real "friendly" to strangers and other dogs. So that really limits us as to how far we can travel for anything.

Hoping someone can give us some advice as to something we can get into to make shooting more interesting.

Guns we have at our disposal:
    AR-15 with 3x scope
    10/22 with tactical style chassis & furniture, red dot and flip-up backups
    10/22 with target stock and 4-16x scope
    22lr pistol
    .38 revolver
    Mossberg 500a shotgun - this has been setup to be an HD shotgun, so not really much to do with this other than shooting close range targets.
    ARJ Defense ad

Gramps

Cultured Pirate
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Central Houston
    Training classes, IDPA/USPSA, sporting clays, skeet, trap, etc. There are many events in the Houston area, not sure what is local to Sugar Land but plenty of venues close.

fuelfather

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 2, 2009
    San Antonio
    Some ranges will also offer their own league shooting competitions. Call around and see what they offer.

Another fun thing if they allow it is bowling at the ranges. Set up a table with bowling pins and set your rules.

N2rock

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2013
    Sugar Land
    Training classes, IDPA/USPSA, sporting clays, skeet, trap, etc. There are many events in the Houston area, not sure what is local to Sugar Land but plenty of venues close.

IDPA- don't really have appropriate pistols for that. Clays, Skeet, trap- my shotgun is really not designed for that either. I don't know much about USPSA, but doubtful our pistols would be appropriate for that either.

I don't see/hear of a lot of events around Houston. But that is probably due to my lack of knowing where to look for events.

Impact Zone is in Brookshire

k

What is there? Their website doesn't have a lot of info.

Have you seen the rimfire challenge here? Try that with your rugers.

I have not seen any around Houston.

Gramps

Cultured Pirate
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Central Houston
    N2 they run revolver matches, you would be good to go there.

Rimfire Challenge is held internally to TGT, check out the Rimfire section for more info.

Impact Zone is a private range open for organized competition and training. See there comp. schedule here Competition

N2rock

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2013
    Sugar Land
    N2 they run revolver matches, you would be good to go there.

Rimfire Challenge is held internally to TGT, check out the Rimfire section for more info.

Impact Zone is a private range open for organized competition and training. See there comp. schedule here Competition

Revolver... Well my revolver is a cheap POS- ever heard of Rohm LOL

Thanks for the heads up on the Rimfire Challenge. When I googled it, I found Ruger's Rimfire competition, which the schedule does not show anything in/around Houston. I'll look in the rimfire section.

The Impact Zone schedule is very vague. I honestly know nothing about 3 Gun and Steel Challenge (the other things on the schedule are not things I feel I could do).

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I read your post with interest. If you are a SAFE gun handler, I have a deal for you!

I am a member of two private gun clubs but both would require some driving for you. One club is absolutely jam packed with different forms of competition but it's a drive. There is a military rifle 200 yard competition on Saturday morning. I can take as many people to that range as I can be responsible for on safety. It is 56 miles from Baytown. Cost is either zero or minimal ($5). They compete in pistol, rifle and have a shotgun range but I don't know about competition for shotgun. They shoot at 200 yards and out to 600 yards every month.

When I worked for the prison system, I lived 150 miles from the Beaumont range and made the trip to compete almost every week. Injuries to my knees forced me to quit.

The other club has rifle, pistol and shotgun ranges but is just getting started in competition. There are periodic matches.

I have an electric clay pigeon trap and enjoy busting birds at the Baytown range. That is also an option. At that range, however, I must have an ID badge for each person on the property. I have ONE ID badge for a guest. I had two of the badges but the price went up to $50 each and I had to trim back. The required badge gives insurance coverage to anyone who wears it.

At either range, your cost is zero (except for ammo and targets). I'll support you in any way that I can but I can take only ONE person to the Baytown range. If you're interested, I'll send links for you to check them out.

There is NO reason to be bored! I went to the range yesterday with my clay bird trap ALONE because everyone else was busy. I had a ball but it was a shame to not share it.

Flash

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    I hope you find your niche. My problem is the opposite, not enough time in the day.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    All ya gotta do is say .......OK!

My problem is the opposite, not enough time in the day.

I agree! When I retired, I pledged to work as hard while playing as I did while working. There are not enough hours in the day to get all the fun attended to!

I spent about 4 hours at the range yesterday and when I got home, my little dog Jake and I crashed in my leather computer chair for several hours. When darkness comes, I am absolutely worn to Hell out!

Flash

Last edited:

Bersa

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2013
    Dickinson, Texas
    Arms Room in League City and The Best Shot Range in Friendswood are both indoor ranges and have things to do. You can check there web sites out. I live very close to both of these.

Flashcb

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 28, 2009
    Magnolia, TX
    it would take some different guns but there is also cowboy action shooting. ther are two clubs up in Magnolia, one in Columbus, h& one down towards Lake Jackson.

speedracer

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    houston
    Hey why don't you and the wife take up cowboy action shooting?There are lot of good people doing it and I don't think your wife will get bored.Also it will give Y'all a reason to buy some new guns and keep history alive.3-4 groups within 100 miles of Houston.

Top Bottom