Capitol Armory ad

I may have turned my liberal sister-in-law to the dark side!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • On The Border

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    My wife's sister came up from Edinburg this weekend for a visit. Now she's a really great person, as is her husband, but they are both College Professors and pretty liberal. We get along great but always avoid discussing topics like politics and guns and such. We realize that our views differ, so why complicate matters. Besides, we don't see each other but about once a year or so, so there's plenty of other things to catch up on.

So we're sitting around talking Friday evening and I smell a skunk. There have been a lot of rabid skunks found out here in Val Verde Co.. I also have 2 large but somewhat stupid dogs that can't seem to grasp the fact that cornering and barking at those funny looking kitties are the reason that they get sprayed, so I excused myself and grab my XD and my cordless spotlight. As I'm heading for the door, Sis asks "is that an air gun?". I just said "Yea, a 40 caliber air gun" and headed out the door.

Well the skunk was nowhere to be found and I was actually a bit relieved, Sis is an animal lover and I'm sure she would have been upset at the fact I whacked one of God's creatures despite the fact that it possibly posed a threat.

Much to my surprise, when I came back in the house she seemed to show a bit of interest in my hardware. She asked what kind of gun it was, so I seized the moment. I dropped the mag and cleared the weapon, locked the slide back and showed it to her. She said something about it being dangerous and I laughed and told her that was why I grabbed the gun instead of screwdriver, they're both tools, they just have different uses.

That got a chuckle from her so I pushed the envelope a little further. I explained the 4 rules to her and asked her if she would like to hold it. By the time the evening was over, she had her paws on just about all my guns, both handguns and long guns (the look on her face when she saw the AK was priceless). I ended the evening with "if you behave yourself, I may even let you shoot them tomorrow"

Saturday, I gathered up all the guns and some ammo and we went shootin'. I explained to her how to get a sight picture and how to hold each gun (she's only 4'8" so she has really small hands). I started her out on my Makarov and we went to the XD, then the 1911, and then my Trooper MKIII (first with .38's, then some light .357's I loaded up for plinking then some full power loads) and finally the AK. I took my time with her and shot a few rounds of each so she would know what to expect.

She had a blast (pun intended)! By the time we were done she had stopped shaking and had a big ol' Texas size grin on her face. She actually got most of her shots on the paper too! The only thing she had a bit of trouble with was the AK, she needed to use the hood of her truck for a bench rest, but she did real well with it beyond that. After we were done she said "Damn, that was a lot of fun!"

While I doubt she'll ever join the NRA, I think I managed to turn her around. Now I just have to get her hubby up here and start working on him......

Here's a couple of pics:

4126615323_e516b5f5ae_m.jpg

4127386492_aeaa57860f_m.jpg

4127387558_1ddf00c156_m.jpg

4126616417_11b3f4e647_m.jpg

4127388656_3062797d8e_m.jpg
    Lynx Defense

android

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 9, 2009
    Austin, TX
    Saturday, I gathered up all the guns and some ammo and we went shootin'. I explained to her how to get a sight picture and how to hold each gun (she's only 4'8" so she has really small hands). I started her out on my Makarov... and finally the AK...

Grand ideal

That shows liberals that commies can make some great firearms also!!

I just acquired a Mak and I'm very impressed. A very decent, reliable gun and pretty accurate for the price.

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    Good deal. It is surprising how much fun, some liberals can have when given the opportunity to safely shoot a gun.

kingofwylietx

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2008
    DFW area.....Wylie.
    Good to hear that she had fun, that's really the most important thing. It also gives you two something else to do during visits, and her something to look forward to.

High-Cap, my wife leans back with her rifle too. I don't understand it, however, since she always hits her target..........no sharp tacks will be used.

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    I think my wife did it once or twice and then understood why you lean forward and stopped, but it's been a while since our last range trip to so she might either still do it or never did it in the first place. I can't remember. LOL!
    Congrats on the convert the problem is they go and say they have seen the destructive power first hand and it is very threatening to society. Keep her going and she'll be a full convert. Score +1 for the gunners, -1 for the libs.

On The Border

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    why is it ALL women lean back to shoot....
    maybe not all, but 99% of them lean back, my wife does it and it drives me crazy.

In the second and third pictures her stance was heavily influenced by recoil! I got lucky on my timing with the shutter. If you look closely at the second pic, you can see the ejected casing above her head. In the third you can see the smoke from the barrel. That one was taken when she shot the full power .357 loads, so she got a handful on that one!

Congrats on the convert the problem is they go and say they have seen the destructive power first hand and it is very threatening to society.

I don't think that's going to be the case here (at least I hope not). She already posted pics to her Facebook page and said what a great time she had doing it.

Maybe sis will lead hubby down the dark path of salvation!!!

That's what I'm hoping for! I think he'll be as easy a sell as Sis was, they're like two peas in a pod.

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    OTB, way to get in a good teaching moment :) Nice work

RE: girls leaning back, that's pretty normal for ladies. There's several reasons for it though. Mainly it is the strength difference between men and women. Men have better shoulder strength and leverage. So doing a front delt raise is easier for men. I know we all have gotten tired the first time back shooting just carrying the iron. It's just getting use to the weight. Ladies who've never shot are extra weak compared to ladies who do shoot. Some is geometry. Women have narrower shoulders so they arch their back to compensate, especially when they work up the sight picture. Most of that goes away with some stance and body work. But girls will still do it to some extent.

What will break them of it is if you tell them to lean forward and the recoil isn't as bad, they'll do it ;) Nice thing is, it's the truth. Once a shooter feels the difference in just firing the gun and 'commanding' it by changing their stance, they'll get better at it. Of course everyone has a preference on stances and how they shoot. I've always liked one foot forward and leaning into it. I'm small and this helps control.

BurkGlocker

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2009
    Burkburnett, TX
    random notation #1

maybe not all, but 99% of them lean back, my wife does it and it drives me crazy.

i figured out something, tape a tack to a dowel rod, and stand behind them, when they start leaning add some pressure... it'll straiten them out real quick. creates a muscle memory of sorts too.

quote]

You are not the only one that goes nuts about this. My wife, my daughters they all lean back. Even when I go to the range and I see the guys out there with their significant others, their wives/girlfriends/mistresses, all lean back...

it kinda like bowling as well, 90% of the women that I have watched bowl all 'back the ball up', giving it an opposite roll... Righties curving left, and lefties curving it right.

Stangfan93

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Houston/Pasadena
    High cap, I think for some reason when you stand square with feet shoulder width apart and hold a gun out you lean back and stick your stomach out. I don't know why its just something that happens.

I have even seen a lot of men do this as well. New shooters themselves.

I broke my g/f of this habit and since then her shooting has even improved. Modified weaver.

goodfellas

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2008
    San Antonio
    When I took my sisters shooting they both leaned back too. Even though she listened to me about keeping her finger off the trigger she still seemed to refuse to put her face on the stock. She didnt hit much but she had alot of fun even though shes a liberal democrat and that's all that's important.
    5652_126799373571_500468571_3029770_5919097_n.jpg

she of course hurt her shoulder soon

5652_126799358571_500468571_3029768_4240201_n.jpg

And heres my stance I'm sure i still need some work on it. I believe I need to bend my knees more Since I have trouble hitting anything that goes to my left.

5652_126799288571_500468571_3029759_6279646_n.jpg

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Pretty cool story On The Border. I think alot of it has more to do with the maturity of the individual rather than their affiliation in the voting booth. We have alot of liberal people come into the shooting range with their own guns at work.

Really liberals just have an alternative view on the way things should be ran, but the want for self-protection is universal.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    random notation #1

Balance. Believe it or not, it can be more accurate, too. Go check out how the high power dudes shoot offhand at competitions...

Every woman I've taught to shoot has been much easier to teach and a much better shot than any guy I've tried to teach.

And heres my stance I'm sure i still need some work on it. I believe I need to bend my knees more Since I have trouble hitting anything that goes to my left.

5652_126799288571_500468571_3029759_6279646_n.jpg

Feet are too far apart, narrow your stance up a bit. And relax your right shoulder, the recoil isn't going to dislocate it! :p

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    zw150202
    Top Bottom