ARJ Defense ad

I just received the following message by email to share here.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AlongCameJones

AlongCameJones
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2021
    Fort Hood, Tx
    I've added my comments in red.

Gun News
    Texas Gov. Abbott expected to sign bill letting residents carry guns without permit

The Texas Legislature has given final approval to a bill that would allow residents to carry handguns in public without a permit, and Gov. Greg Abbott is expected to sign it Tuesday.

Lawmakers in Texas' House and Senate gave final passage to the "constitutional carry" proposal.

Under the bill, residents [not truly "Constitutional Carry" if restricted to Texas residents] over the age of 21 [shameful age restriction, American citizens can be made to fight and die in a war as young as age 17] could carry a handgun in public without any special permit. Current Texas law requires gun owners to be trained and undergo a criminal background check before they can receive a license to carry.

"Constitutional Carry is headed to the governor's desk," State Rep. Matt Schaefer, the author of the bill, tweeted after the House and Senate resolved differences in their versions of the bill.

Schaefer [and AlongCameJones too] also said he's disappointed that the final bill didn't include a controversial amendment that would have barred police from stopping a person legally from carrying a handgun without cause. Other lawmakers [Demos no doubt] hailed the bill. [Yep, there was a compromise here, damm it! Always some rotten apple to stink up an otherwise good barrel.]

"This is a simple restoration [though not a 100% perfect restoration, gotta couple rough spots in it] of Texans' constitutional right under the Second Amendment, a right of the people to keep and bear arms," said Sen. Charles Schwertner, according to the Texas Tribune.

"I think it is a bill that is the strongest bill I've seen in my legislative career regarding the rights of our Second Amendment."

Democrats, who are in the minority in both bodies, fear the bill will endanger Texans and make them more vulnerable to mass shootings. [The Democrats smoke too much funny grass from Mexico or sniff airplane glue for a hobby. How often do mass shooters obey any anti-gun laws? How often do they get a CCW just to go on a random shooting spree in non-CC states?]

"Texas is on its way to becoming a 2nd Amendment Sanctuary State," Abbott tweeted about another gun measure in the legislature, which would block any new federal gun control regulations. [such blocking of anti-gun actions by carpetbagger feds would be a good thing]

Last edited:

AlongCameJones

AlongCameJones
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2021
    Fort Hood, Tx
    Now I know they're watching me.

Did you happen receive that same unsolicited email as I did from an outfit called www dot gophercentral dot com? Some eye in the sky is watching me too. I never heard of them. How did they get my personal information?

It sounds like this new Tx CC bill is for Tx residents only to carry sans permit. My home-of-record state, Idaho, became CC in 2016 when Gov. Otter there signed it in. It started out just for ID residents only but it's since been extended to all American citizens and US military personnel of any country of citizenry as it should be. As a spouse of a personnel stationed at Fort Hood, I may still need a permit to carry in Tx. I don't know yet. My wife and I live in rental housing off post. Are we technically "Tx residents" for concealed carry purposes?

Last edited:

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    I live by Ft Hood to. Have mostly since 1972. Army brat.
    Active duty is considered a resident. Spouse only sometimes. I would check with an attorney on that. Or the State AG.

Sent by an idjit coffeeholic from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

AlongCameJones

AlongCameJones
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2021
    Fort Hood, Tx
    I live by Ft Hood to. Have mostly since 1972. Army brat.
    Active duty is considered a resident. Spouse only sometimes. I would check with an attorney on that. Or the State AG.

If the Tx Gov. passes it Tuesday which it seems he will, it would go into effect Sept. 1. I would think a Tx DL might be evidence of residency but, yes, I need to check it out with a gun lawyer first.

Last edited:

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    If you have a Tx DL and Texas plates, I doubt anyone is going to ask fine points of residency. Changing DL can have implications for active duty and family members of some other States. Jag would probably know as well. Or at least who to point you to for correct info.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    If the Tx Gov. passes it Tuesday which it seems he will, it would go into effect Sept. 1. I would think a Tx DL might be evidence of residency but, yes, I need to check it out with a gun lawyer first.

You need to read the bill. Residency is not a requirement.

Also, regardless of the governor’s signature, this bill will become law within 21 days.

theglock

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2021
    Texas
    Please be careful, though. Yes, the bill will become law, but it does NOT take effect until September 1st. I fear there will be some folks who erroneously react to fact it is law, but miss the effective date. If one is caught carrying prior to September he will will subject to the current laws in effect.

gll

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    I think it would be funny if, as soon as the bill is signed or becomes law, all LTCs start OCing, so that LE sees a huge surge and thinks, "ripe for the picking!"

busykngt

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    McKinney
    @AlongCameJones
    Here’s a thought: have your spouse give themself an immediate take home salary increase. Fill out a little form - was about the size of a postcard, when I was in - and officially declare TEXAS as your home state of residence. The Army will stop withholding Idaho state income tax.... and guess what, you all get to keep it! (Texas has no state income tax).

rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas
    @AlongCameJones
    Here’s a thought: have your spouse give themself an immediate take home salary increase. Fill out a little form - was about the size of a postcard, when I was in - and officially declare TEXAS as your home state of residence. The Army will stop withholding Idaho state income tax.... and guess what, you all get to keep it! (Texas has no state income tax).
    Did that in 1972. very smart move.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Where did you see that part about residency is not required? I can't find it.

The changes in HB1927 to the various codes refer to persons without regard to a residency eligibility unlike the verbiage for LTC which specifically defines resident and non-resident eligibilities.

Top Bottom