• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • zembonez

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Republic of Texas
    Most new trucks are dead reliable - for the first 100,000 miles anyway. My 07 GMC has never had a wrench on it and it will be 6 years old in March. Never a problem. My neighbor's Titan (bought about the same time) has been nearly as good. My Brother's Frontier just hit 115K and it has only needed an AC compressor in 7 years of use.

Point is, newer vehicles are more reliable than their predecessors. Modern electronics and fuel injection work. Some people don't like to hear that, but it's true. I bought my first new truck in 1979. Complete reliability was a thing of dreams back then.

alexrex20

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2011
    I want a diesel but I wouldnt min having Alex' truck the ecoboost f150 twin turbo

My EcoBoost was only averaging 16.0mpg with Mike in the truck, but that's easily explained by, well... Mike was in the truck.

My F150 has gotten 19mpg highway (80-85mph) and my '11 Duramax has gotten 22.3mpg (same speeds).

My friends with older Ford 7.3s and 12v Cummins have gotten 25+ mpg.

A lot of it has to do with the driver and their driving style.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Point is, newer vehicles are more reliable than their predecessors. Modern electronics and fuel injection work. Some people don't like to hear that, but it's true. I bought my first new truck in 1979. Complete reliability was a thing of dreams back then.
    As someone who has driven many older cars, I totally agree with you. Modern cars are also quieter and more comfortable. The downside is that when they do break, it's very difficult for the home mechanic to fix the issue themselves. If all the electronics in cars used open standards it wouldn't be a big deal, but the diagnostic equipment you need to work on new vehicles is very proprietary. You pretty much have to take them to the dealership now, which is sad.

The funny part is that the one thing that's always in the headlines, MPG, modern cars have not improved on at all. You want a 40+mpg car to save money? You can get a 1991 Geo Metro or 1988 Honda CRX for under $4k, or a beat up 1972 Fiat 850 for $500.... or you can buy a fancy new hybrid for $40k. lmao

Thanks for the "grats" everyone.

AKM

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Around
    My EcoBoost was only averaging 16.0mpg with Mike in the truck, but that's easily explained by, well... Mike was in the truck.

My F150 has gotten 19mpg highway (80-85mph) and my '11 Duramax has gotten 22.3mpg (same speeds).

My friends with older Ford 7.3s and 12v Cummins have gotten 25+ mpg.

A lot of it has to do with the driver and their driving style.
    My dads 5.9 cummins gets 30 highway. I was getting 24 in the hill country hauling ass.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    What I'd give for my old F-450 SD to get over 12 mpg.....then again, that utility body an' lift gate might have a bit ta do with it, eh?<G>

Flip side is....I drive it 'bout 5k miles/year, with the rest (35k miles) on mah F150 @ 'bout 18 mpg. One thing though...iffen ah hook onto sumthin' with that F450 an' say "move!" - it moves!!;)

Top Bottom