Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    it’s time to stop pretending that we as conservatives &/or constitutionalists have any advocates left in these ”gooberments”
    I saw Dave Rubin interview Tulsi Gabbard recently. He asked her a question about education and her answer started off with, to paraphrase, "Of course, the federal government must work this problem." I remember thinking "Why?" Much of her talk had to do with making sure education was adapted to the particular circumstances of the area where the person is being educated. You don't teach Connecticut history in Texas, for example. That made sense to me. However, the obvious solution of kicking the fed out of education and letting states handle it themselves simply wasn't on her radar in any way.

That default attitude is why we don't feel represented. Even the best-intentioned elected officials in D.C. seem to believe that the federal government should have a hand in or completely control almost everything. It's their default mindset.

Now, I'm probably more tolerant of the federal government than most people here but I still find it shocking that the notion "Y'know, maybe the federal government doesn't need to have any involvement in this" simply never occurs to 99.9% of the folks in D.C. It should at least be on the list of options you consider when contemplating any problem.

It's sad, really.

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    Now, I'm probably more tolerant of the federal government than most people here but I still find it shocking that the notion "Y'know, maybe the federal government doesn't need to have any involvement in this" simply never occurs to 99.9% of the folks in D.C. It should at least be on the list of options you consider when contemplating any problem.

It's sad, really.

Therein lies the old saw about letting the camel get his nose under the tent.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    It’s amazing how much has changed. We went from being the “United States” of America to the Landmass Ruled Over by the Federal Government of North America.

It’s not how the system was meant to work, and that’s why it’s not working.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Radioguy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 31, 2019
    Alabama
    The use of a Universal Backround Check is in theory to keep the criminals and nutjobs from buying guns,. Since such people seldom buy guns that way they purchase them the same way they get anything else forbidden that they want-black market. Since you now have a thug with a gun that has no paper trail the government would of course go after the regular guy who works, pays taxes, raises his family, but holds opinions the government does not like-because they have a list of his guns! How many "gun raids" on criminals, gang bangers, drug dealers, suspected terrorists, and other worthy folks can be expected as opposed to John Q. Public who actually has something to lose?

gll

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    It’s amazing how much has changed. We went from being the “United States” of America to the Landmass Ruled Over by the Federal Government of North America.

It’s not how the system was meant to work, and that’s why it’s not working.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Shelby Foote said that we went from saying "The United States are" to saying (postbellum) "The United States is"...

The Constitution established a union of sovereign states, the Civil War established a corporation that may even exist separate from the states. I've wondered whether theoretically, if the Constitution was abrogated by the States in convention, might the United States corporation (Federal Government) continue to exist independently, claiming all Federal lands and properties as it's territory.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

cmtristani

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2019
    San Antonio
    The use of a Universal Backround Check is in theory to keep the criminals and nutjobs from buying guns,. Since such people seldom buy guns that way they purchase them the same way they get anything else forbidden that they want-black market. Since you now have a thug with a gun that has no paper trail the government would of course go after the regular guy who works, pays taxes, raises his family, but holds opinions the government does not like-because they have a list of his guns! How many "gun raids" on criminals, gang bangers, drug dealers, suspected terrorists, and other worthy folks can be expected as opposed to John Q. Public who actually has something to lose?

Universal background check won't be any more effective than current background checks for a criminal. Going to a guy selling guns with filed off serial numbers out of the trunk of a Lincoln will never be addressed by background checks. It will also never stop someone from selling a gun to their neighbor, friend, relative, etc.

Also, it seems the actual background check process works for what it is, it's more the people and organizations that are supposed to report something about a person's background but don't - that appears to be the problem. For instance, if the military reliably reported bad conduct discharges, then they would show up in the background check. When it isn't reported, the background check passes. So, isn't the government the actual problem?

DoubleDuty

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 9, 2019
    DFW
    Universal background check won't be any more effective than current background checks for a criminal. Going to a guy selling guns with filed off serial numbers out of the trunk of a Lincoln will never be addressed by background checks. It will also never stop someone from selling a gun to their neighbor, friend, relative, etc.

Also, it seems the actual background check process works for what it is, it's more the people and organizations that are supposed to report something about a person's background but don't - that appears to be the problem. For instance, if the military reliably reported bad conduct discharges, then they would show up in the background check. When it isn't reported, the background check passes. So, isn't the government the actual problem?
    Yep

Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch

The real gun problem at the street level (gangs, drug cartels etc etc) is not guns with filed down serial numbers but rather "Ghost guns". Ghost guns are guns that NEVER had a serial number, too begin with. These guns come from outside the US and are smuggled into the US and are worth a lot of money to those who have a use for them. Google it makes some very interesting reading!

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    The real gun problem at the street level (gangs, drug cartels etc etc) is not guns with filed down serial numbers but rather "Ghost guns". Ghost guns are guns that NEVER had a serial number, too begin with. These guns come from outside the US and are smuggled into the US and are worth a lot of money to those who have a use for them. Google it makes some very interesting reading!

Found nothing but articles on 80% guns. Do tpu have a particular link?

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    I saw a tv program concerning production of clone 1911s in some foreign country.
    Don't remember much else about it, but obviously no numbers on them.

Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I saw a tv program concerning production of clone 1911s in some foreign country.
    There used to be (don't know about now) an active counterfeit firearms industry in the Philippines. Those guns were serialized, though.

The thought of buying a 10mm Delta Elite that was actually made over a coal forge by a couple of guys in a hut in the jungle (well, that's an overstatement but only slightly) fills me with foreboding.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    That's what I saw
    Yeah, I figured. I was really surprised that they were literally churning out fake 10mm Delta Elites, complete with knock-off packaging, paperwork, and accoutrements, for export all over the world. I wonder if any made it into the U.S.?

Top Bottom