• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GeorgeS

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 7, 2018
    San Antonio
    Our Trane XR is four years old and has been a champ throughout.

Last evening, I noticed that the house was getting warm. A check of thermostats showed 81 degrees (we have it set it to 74). The outside unit's fan was not running.

I checked the breaker and it had not tripped. I flipped it back and forth to be sure, but no joy.

I then pulled and re-installed the t-shaped fuse near the outside unit, flipped the breakers again and checked the inside thermostat. It showed 'cool on recovery' and the house cooled down.

Everything was fine until about 2pm today when the above process repeated itself. I took the same actions and house is cooling down again.

Does anyone have an idea what the issue might be?

CPS hasn't reported any brown-outs, we haven't had any lightning strikes, or hail.

popper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2013
    t-shaped fuse not a fuse, just a cutoff.
    Sounds like cap is going bd. Heat reduced capacity, fan should turn easy, had one that needed lube.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Check the drain. We have a Trane, and with the sudden influx of humidity, it's gonna be dumping a LOT of water/condensation. Failing that, message me - I've got a good A/C guy here in New Braunfels that maintains mine, and has always treated me fairly & honestly - family owned/operated.

PinnedandRecessed

Allegedly
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 11, 2019
    Hays County
    +1 on the drainage and/or capacitor.

I pour distilled vinegar down the drain lines every month or two. If clogged, a Shop-vac works but I have also used an air compressor to blow out tough clogs. Our old unit (that was replaced 3 months ago) was dumping a bunch of rust down the drain line so bleach/vinegar was not going to work. It also helps if you regularly and frequently change out the filter.

Capacitors are a different story. They can go in and out or just all out fail completely. Ours did the latter.

GeorgeS

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 7, 2018
    San Antonio
    The drain pan is bone dry.
    1kS4g2b.jpg

I poured bleach down each of the pipe openings about fifteen minutes ago; the pipe on the right (under the A//C unit) seemed to be belching up a little drops of liquid . Nothing has come out yet. I put a cardboard box under what I believe to be the other end of that pipe so I can tell if anyhing has come out.

I'll admit to not pouring vinegar down those pipes in the past so there might be plenty of scale in it.. :beat:.

popsgarland

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 24, 2011
    DFW area
    1kS4g2b.jpg

I poured bleach down each of the pipe openings about fifteen minutes ago; the pipe on the right (under the A//C unit) seemed to be belching up a little drops of liquid . Nothing has come out yet. I put a cardboard box under what I believe to be the other end of that pipe so I can tell if anyhing has come out.

I'll admit to not pouring vinegar down those pipes in the past so there might be plenty of scale in it.. :beat:.

That drain pan is for your over flow condensation. If your main drain clogs up water will drip into that pan and exit (most of the time) over a window so you can see it and will know that the main drain is clogged.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX

As noted above, that's the overflow pan...there's another pan inside the unit - if one of the drains was "belching", it's likely because it was plugged and is trying to clear. If you can get an air hose to it, give it a shot of air. If yours is like most of the units now, the drain actually feeds down and tee's into a sink drain somewhere below.

My guy discourages bleach OR vinegar - they've run into issues with both with the drain pans. Give him a call at the number I sent you, or text him - he's usually happy to help out via phone/text.

Top Bottom