• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BRD@66

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2014
    Liberty Hill
    My yearly bill for computer repair insurance with Best Buy came due. I'd changed credit card numbers since last time so they asked for my new card number. I decided that I'd quietly drop the insurance by failing to update the cc number. Over a ~3 week period, they sent 2 more emails requesting, then sent an email thanking me for the update/payment.
    My credit card bill showed a suspicious charge & when I googled the billing company (Total Tech Sup Yearly Richfield MN), it apparently is innocently (maybe) just a different-named arm of Best Buy. But the bill was $215 instead of the expected $200, as if a "collection agency" had gotten their pound of flesh (but more logically, the new addition of Texas sales tax.)
    OK, but how in the world did "they" get my credit card number???
    Guns International

TxStetson

Opinionated and Irritable
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    The Big Country
    My yearly bill for computer repair insurance with Best Buy came due. I'd changed credit card numbers since last time so they asked for my new card number. I decided that I'd quietly drop the insurance by failing to update the cc number. Over a ~3 week period, they sent 2 more emails requesting, then sent an email thanking me for the update/payment.
    My credit card bill showed a suspicious charge & when I googled the billing company (Total Tech Sup Yearly Richfield MN). It apparently is innocently (maybe) just a different-named arm of Best Buy. But the bill was $215 instead of the expected $200, as if a "collection agency" had gotten their pound of flesh (but more logically, the new addition of Texas sales tax.)
    Do you have it saved to your BestBuy online account?

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    My credit card bill showed a suspicious charge & when I googled the billing company (Total Tech Sup Yearly Richfield MN), it apparently is innocently (maybe) just a different-named arm of Best Buy. But the bill was $215 instead of the expected $200, as if a "collection agency" had gotten their pound of flesh (but more logically, the new addition of Texas sales tax.)

Did you change the number, or did it "expire", and you got a new one from the bank?
    If that is the case, it kind of "rolls over", in alot of cases, but not all.

rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas
    Did you change the number, or did it "expire", and you got a new one from the bank?
    If that is the case, it kind of "rolls over", in alot of cases, but not all.
    This is what happened most likely. Credit card companies seem to honor old cards from major companies when new ones are issued. Technically you didn't cancel the insurance and I am sure you agreed to an automatic yearly draw so I bet you are stuck. These companies make it hard to cancel too, like you have to call them, spend 15 minutes on the phone insisting that you want to cancel. Usually they come up with a new deal that is so good you can't refuse. Something to think about each renewal time.

rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas
    If you don’t recognize the charge, you can dispute the transaction.

ETA: this can include if you did not specifically authorize the transaction.
    Since he didn’t cancel his automatic renewal he probably can’t dispute this charge but good luck trying.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Depends on how long he has had that credit card. My main cc company backs me up without question every time. But then I have had the card forever.

hooper

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 19, 2020
    Houston Area
    I had this similar instance happen before and asked the credit card company about it. If I remember correctly, for items that are yearly or monthly billed they allow them to go through. I believe they considered it a convince for the customer not having to resign up all their accounts.

Ours was actually a fraud case. Someone had gotten the number, Tesla of all places, and was billing the card for 15 dollars or 20 bucks. Canceled the card and got a new number, the charges would come right back and the card company allowed them to pass through.

Ended up having to turn that card off for 6 months or so and that seemed to fix the problem.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    And, if you close a credit card, depending on how long you've had it, it will negatively affect your credit score.

mroper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Katy, TX
    Companies can subscribe to updates from the credit card companies. I.e you have a card that expired they send a file with a new expiration date. Same as if you card number changes they will send that as well.

dsgrey

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    Denton County
    It's Best Buy and their computer "repair" warranty. They probably installed some software on your computer that captured all your credit card and banking info. Cancel their contract and they'll email your contacts with the questionable material on the computer.

Top Bottom