Texas SOT

How to tell your turbo car is tuned too lean.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    This is a pretty good sign right here:

188302_585974854763320_269398553_n.jpg

Of course, if you let it get that bad, it's going to be way more expensive... The rod bearings were hammered, too. Took the pic a while ago, figured I'd share it here for your viewing pleasure.

For those who'll ask: 4G63 in an Eclipse. They're high end pistons, can't remember the brand. Don't know much more than that, since I'm not the one working on it.
    Target Sports

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    What am I supposed to be seeing? I see the big chip in the piston. Is that all?

The valve clearance grooves appear to be milled into the piston. Is that correct or are they made from contact with the valves (part of the damage)? It also looks a little burnt but that may be normal.

I guess I need a before picture.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    What am I supposed to be seeing? I see the big chip in the piston. Is that all?

The valve clearance grooves appear to be milled into the piston. Is that correct or are they made from contact with the valves (part of the damage)? It also looks a little burnt but that may be normal.

I guess I need a before picture.

That "chip" is where the piston melted. The rings also melted, and it melted a divot out of the cylinder wall, too. Pull the other pistons out, all of them have ring grooves collapsed. Detonation is a bitch.

Those pistons are waaaayyyy too clean for an engine that has more than a few minutes on it. They should have a decent amount of carbon on them. The water is the unavoidable consequence of pulling the head off a water cooled engine that's been in service.

granite

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2013
    hit the NOS too soon and you'll melt the welds on you're intake! Did I get that right? Fast n Furious

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    hit the NOS too soon and you'll melt the welds on you're intake! Did I get that right? Fast n Furious

ROFL, those movies are so ridiculous. I couldn't make it past that opening sequence where the passenger floorboard somehow fell off the DSM. WTF, man!? Also, there ain't a ton of skill involved in drag racing outside setting the vehicle up. Mostly it's a wallet-measuring exercise.

I did see the 5th one all the way through, though. I was too drunk to leave and it was on. I'm ashamed that I didn't just pound a few more drinks, stagger outside onto the lawn and die in my own vomit instead.

SidewaysTA

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 5, 2011
    CSTX

No no, hitting the NAWSS too soon will just cause you to lose the race. Running that 5th stage of NAWSS is what will blow the welds on the intake...

Last edited:
    Top Bottom