Lynx Defense

How the heck do you pay for your guns and ammo?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Not a ticked off rant, just curious how others fund this firearms lifestyle of ours.

I make decent money. Have some bills. And that's about the end of the money each month.

I don't do credit cards, so if I want something, I have to save for it for a good long while. For instance, I'd really like an M1A, but I can't just plop down $2000 on it. I am very happy to have what I do have in terms of guns though.

I suppose it frustrates/confuses me to see guys spend thousands on guns, classes, competitions, far off and expensive hunts. I don't have a grudge against anyone for living a lifestyle I can't, just don't know how so many do it. That being said, I'm sure some look at me that way.

Perhaps it's just priorities? I pay to live in a nice part of town, others have big car payments because they want a big truck or sports car, while others spend $200 on a concert or sports ticket and others spend more money on firearms.
    ARJ Defense ad

Last edited:

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    I think most people get jobs that provide an income that supports their lifestyle. If it doesn't they better themselves through education and training to be able to land jobs that pay better. People figure out how to generate income streams.

This is America. Unlimited number of ways to make money.

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    Heh, heh! Wait 'till you retire, then you'll have less money! I don't buy, sell, or trade much anymore. I'm gettin' closer to having what I think I want. I do some trading with my friends and shootin' partners occasionally. If I really want something, I do a little contract work to pick up the needed funds instead of taking it out of the account. And, of course, I don't buy $200 concert tickets!:rolleyes:

Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    Not a ticked off rant, just curious how others fund this firearms lifestyle of ours.

I make decent money. Have some bills. And that's about the end of the money each month.

I don't do credit cards, so if I want something, I have to save for it for a good long while. For instance, I'd really like an M1A, but I can't just plop down $2000 on it. I am very happy to have what I do have in terms of guns though.

I suppose it frustrates/confuses me to see guys spend thousands on guns, classes, competitions, far off and expensive hunts. I don't have a grudge against anyone for living a lifestyle I can't, just don't know how so many do it. That being said, I'm sure some look at me that way.

Perhaps it's just priorities? I pay to live in a nice part of town, others have big car payments because they want a big truck or sports car, while others spend $200 on a concert or sports ticket and others spend more money on firearms.
    You nailed it right there.

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ
    What you see here on the forums are the highlights of collections and experiences. Most purchases here were earned over time with great effort and that's why folks post them up.

The only secret is to be happy with what you have and look forward to what's to come.

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I think most people get jobs that provide an income that supports their lifestyle. If it doesn't they better themselves through education and training to be able to land jobs that pay better. People figure out how to generate income streams.

This is America. Unlimited number of ways to make money.

I recognize that. Again I suppose it's conflicting priorities. The more $ I make, the more I spend on other categories and my budget for firearms related stuff doesn't go up.

I am all about budgeting too. As much as living on a budget sucks its better than being buried in debt. I know it's right and good to be content in life too, not to covet things or have to constantly consume to be happy.

Slowly and steadily building a collection is a good way to make it less expensive too. I've been bad about buying and selling. But at the same time, that is how I've come to find out what I like and what works for me.

So, if a guy wants that sweet $2000 rifle, have to do that awful s word and...sacrifice!

Pilgrim

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 12, 2012
    Volente
    I set aside a small chunk each paycheck towards my gun and gear obsessions. I make pretty good money now and I was fortunate enough to make a nice chunk of change on the games I've worked on in the past. My buying has tapered off recently and I do a lot more trading now with friends and acquaintances rather than purchase new...

TxDad

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Central Texas
    Dont feel bad. I dont buy many firearms/accessories. I have my priorities elsewhere. But as I pay off my bills I plan to increase my play toys. Just a matter of time and self discipline for me. lol

TxDad

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Central Texas
    Dont feel bad. I dont buy many firearms/accessories. I have my priorities elsewhere. But as I pay off my bills I plan to increase my play toys. Just a matter of time and self discipline for me. lol

I have been known to put stuff on layaway.

ArmyZach

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Joshua
    I liked layaway. I just don't see it offered anymore.:(

All small shops/stores that I know of offer it. Usually 30% down with 90 days to pay it off.
    No big stores (cabelas, academy, etc).

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 4

no2gates

These are not the droids you're looking for.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2013
    Grand Prairie, TX
    I just buy them when I can afford them.
    Never bought more that a $750 gun.
    Never bought more than $400 of ammo at once.

Pilgrim

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 12, 2012
    Volente
    I've only done a layaway twice and both times because I got lucky and came upon a rifle that was hard to find. I didn't want to risk losing it while I saved up to get the funds Otherwise, I just save up for it...

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    I have several part time endeavors including a Lawn and tree service
    the money we get from those goes into special projects, vacations and guns and ammo supplies

if a good storm comes in and I get to cut and haul off trees on a weekend I can make several hundred dollars.

plus, it helps when your wife understands that your guns are good investments if bought right. its like a savings account

Top Bottom