Patriot Mobile

How Much Of One's Cash Assets Should Be Put Into Precious Metals?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HKSig

Let's Go Brandon!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    Spring
    They also offer discounts for bulk purchases. When I buy silver, I try to buy 100 coins at a time. The minimum I buy from them is a tube's worth - either 20 or 25 coins depending on the country of origin of the coins. I likely would not buy rounds or bars unless put out by a country's mint.
    That they do; I'll buy a tube too. The more you buy at once, the cheaper it gets.
    I'll buy rounds and bars that aren't government minted, but from known defunct mints (like Swiss of America; very collectible, but not usually a huge premium, but can be) and known dealers. And one or two of a design from a current mint; no discount for quantity, but nice designs that are hard to find at the big online dealers.
    Lynx Defense

IXLR8

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    Republic of Texas
    It seems like I have said this too many times here.

Currency is not a reliable investment. Here is my proof. In 1980 the Zimbabwe dollar was on par with the US dollar 1 USD = 1 ZWD. A poorly run government caused their currency to lose value. You would think that it would take a long time to happen, but not necessarily.

By 1997 the exchange rate had changed. In my wildest dreams I could not imagine by how much. When the currency stopped trading the Zimbabwe dollar was trading at 1 USD = 100,000,000,000,000 ZWD (yes, 100 Trillion).

The government here has been financing with millions, then billions, but this administration is asking for Trillions.

I bought a few of the Zimbabwe 100 trillion dollar bills to light a cigar with, because I could. During that time precious metals lost no value.

1644796743849.jpeg

Last edited:

HKSig

Let's Go Brandon!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    Spring

Currency is not a reliable investment. Here is my proof. In 1980 the Zimbabwe dollar was on par with the US dollar 1 USD = 1 ZWD. A poorly run government caused their currency to lose value. You would think that it would take a long time to happen, but not necessarily.
    A friend bought a bunch ($1,000 US?) of Iraqi dinar. He thinks it'll get revalued and be worth something. Some day soon. He's still waiting.

Grumps21

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2021
    Houston
    I really think silver is going to jump in demand, and therefore in value. Not only due to its spot as a currency and investment metal, but also due to developing technologies. We’ve got a lot of stuff being automated, electric cars, the list goes on. Silver is an excellent conductor, and I see silver being used in production as increasing exponentially. Some 20-30 years ago, we saw platinum being used as a catalyst in emission systems, hence the catalytic converter thefts. I think they’ve moved to some sort of ceramic to use in that application now, but I see that same happening with silver. Also, I see copper going up because it’s relatively cheap compared to other metals

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    I really think silver is going to jump in demand, and therefore in value. Not only due to its spot as a currency and investment metal, but also due to developing technologies. We’ve got a lot of stuff being automated, electric cars, the list goes on. Silver is an excellent conductor, and I see silver being used in production as increasing exponentially. Some 20-30 years ago, we saw platinum being used as a catalyst in emission systems, hence the catalytic converter thefts. I think they’ve moved to some sort of ceramic to use in that application now, but I see that same happening with silver. Also, I see copper going up because it’s relatively cheap compared to other metals

Solar panels also

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Texarkana - Across The Border
    I think I will be making a sizable purchase of bullion in the future - up to about 18 % of my current cash; however, that will have to wait until I work up the courage to spend that much of my cash and buy at the market's prices at whatever time. I will wait a bit to see if prices start to fall, if not then I thiink I will buy away regardless. Right now though, I am jot certain to buy or not and my big problem (and sometimes my biggest blessing) has always been I am THE Great Procrastinator when it comes to things like finances.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    Remember when the dollar was paper gold and then FDR said "ok it's still paper gold, but only banks are allowed to trade it for gold", and then a few decades later a bunch of banks tried to trade it for gold, but Nixon said "never mind, it's not paper gold"? That was fun.
    No I do not remember that.

I do think I read about it in ancient history book.
    :-)

billtool

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    The Wooldlands

By 1997 the exchange rate had changed. In my wildest dreams I could not imagine by how much. When the currency stopped trading the Zimbabwe dollar was trading at 1 USD = 100,000,000,000 ZWD (yes, 100 Trillion).

The government here has been financing with millions, then billions, but this administration is asking for Trillions.

I bought a few of the Zimbabwe 100 trillion dollar bills to light a cigar with, because I could. During that time precious metals lost no value.

View attachment 303988
    100,000,000,000 isn’t a trillion. Just sayin’.

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Texarkana - Across The Border
    Remember when the dollar was paper gold and then FDR said "ok it's still paper gold, but only banks are allowed to trade it for gold", and then a few decades later a bunch of banks tried to trade it for gold, but Nixon said "never mind, it's not paper gold"? That was fun.
    Just how old are you!

gll

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    Gold seems to be moving today... Fear of Russian invasion of Ukraine on Wednesday?

m5215

Pistoleer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2018
    McKinney, TX
    FYI - U.S. Gold Bureau (https://www.usgoldbureau.com) has reasonable prices on silver rounds and they are based here in TX. Only a 99$ purchase or more gets you free shipping and you get a discount if you pay by having the money sent directly from your bank account rather than using a credit card. Also of course no tax on precious metal purchases here in TX.

Top Bottom