• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AKM

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Around
    So how many of yall shoot IDPA? I have multiple places within few miles of my dads house that have Matches(I could shoot Mon/Wed nights). Im not the best shot by any means but I think It coudl be a lot of fun. Ive never watched a match as of yet, but is there a lot of low shot were you need to kneel? Im just curious since my knees are trashed...takes me a minute to get up lol
    Capitol Armory ad

Randman

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2009
    Leander, TX
    Its a lot of fun, go do one and you'll be hooked.. Do worry about being the best shot, or the fastest, or what ever, just go and have fun...

ray22

Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Jewett
    Its a lot of fun, go do one and you'll be hooked.. Do worry about being the best shot, or the fastest, or what ever, just go and have fun...

I agree, I shoot USPSA and its tons of fun. Don't worry about time, concentrate on the fun aspect and making good shots. Speed comes with practice. Plus the people you will meet are some of the best around. They will be helpful in explaining the rules and helping you get started.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    So how many of yall shoot IDPA? I have multiple places within few miles of my dads house that have Matches(I could shoot Mon/Wed nights). Im not the best shot by any means but I think It coudl be a lot of fun. Ive never watched a match as of yet, but is there a lot of low shot were you need to kneel? Im just curious since my knees are trashed...takes me a minute to get up lol

Being the best shot doesn't matter. Trust me - you ain't going to win your first time out, no matter how good a shot you are. :p

And some of the people there might surprise you with how good they aren't. ;)

AKM

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Around
    Honestly Im more worried about looking like an Idiot do to my knees being shit than anything. Its embarassing as hell to have to kneel down to do shit then look like your constipated getting up lol....Takes a minute sometimes too

mitchntx

Sarcasm Sensei
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Waco-ish
    Honestly Im more worried about looking like an Idiot do to my knees being shit than anything. Its embarassing as hell to have to kneel down to do shit then look like your constipated getting up lol....Takes a minute sometimes too

A friend invited me to shoot with cross-timbers region and I went a few months ago.

Moving and shooting was something very new to me. It was a blast!

As a newb, I will echo ray22's comment about the folks being extremely helpful.

But to answer your concerns, I too displace quite a bit of volume.
    Consequently, my knees are crap from 55 years of abuse.
    It wasn't as bad as I had anticipated.

Most everyone was like me and there were very few gazelles.
    So the routine courses are old-man friendly from what I understand.

Now the regional matches are different, but I have no desire to be in a competitive mode any more.

I was concerned about looking an idiot and even worse, doing something stupid.
    But there are folks assigned that keep you and everyone else safe.

It was pretty intimidating at first, but I was able to figure it out pretty quick.
    Rules and procedures are actually pretty simple. You just have to have a heightened sense of situational awareness.

It's too easy to lose track of the muzzle in that open environment.

Give it a try ...

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I do IDPA matches with Texas Tactical here in the central Texas area. It's been awhile since I've been to a match this year. Most of these groups are comprised of good people that want to have fun, improve their skill sets, etc. and most of them are usually very friendly and helpful. Don't worry about physical restrictions or anything like that. When you go to a match and get squadded up, I would just make sure to mention to the person running your squad any restrictions you might have. Usually they're more than willing to change things up a bit if possible, or help you out however they can. Don't worry about the time, just focus on making the most with what you have, and trying to get through the stage. Most importantly, remember to have fun because it is so much fun!

jasont

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Houston
    In IDPA you will run into some stages that require you to kneel. That said there is a section in the rules for those that are physically unable to complete a course as designed that should allow you to shoot the stage standing. If you gain a significant advantage by not having to kneel they may give you a small procedural time penalty to make it even for those that did.

Go shoot a match and I'm sure all your worries will go away. I've seen people of all skill levels and physical abilities shoot IDPA, USPSA, and 3 Gun including some in wheelchairs, on crutches, and missing limbs.

PopsXD9sc

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    Longview
    Get involved; it's way more fun than you can imagine. I run a couple of matches per month at our club (East Texas Rifle and Pistol Club). We are gaining new shooters every month. One match and they are hooked.

PopsXD9sc

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    Longview
    Lots of IDPA in the North East Texas area. I run the IDPA matches at East Texas Rifle and Pistol Club in Longview and then shoot at Lock and Load in Tyler, Big Rock Gun Club in Canton, and Terrell Rifle Club in Terrell. Needless to say I've been hooked since the 1st match.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Yep, I'll be at the classifier Sunday. I think there are going to be at least 1 or 2 other forum members there as well. Going for Master in SSP this time. Hit Expert last time, not far off from Master, but had a few easily fixed screw ups.

Rangel

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2012
    Crosby Tx
    I've shot two matches at PSC as unclassified. Haven't made a classifier yet. Placed second in both matches in ESP class.

GrandpaOf18

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Elmendorf TX
    Yep, I'll be at the classifier Sunday. I think there are going to be at least 1 or 2 other forum members there as well. Going for Master in SSP this time. Hit Expert last time, not far off from Master, but had a few easily fixed screw ups.

I'll be setting my beginning bench mark, as this is the first. See you there.

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    I've gone to the texascombatshooters.com matches before at Elm Fork. Lots of fun. I'm just never in town during the week and the weekends are mostly family time.

You should go, you'll love it. Just be safe and take your time. Don't worry about your score and you'll have a blast - literally.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    setter1
    Top Bottom