Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ
    how-europe-views-the-us.png
    ARJ Defense ad

dobarker

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2010
    Sonora
    And you wouldn't believe how happy they are when you actually tell them you are from Texas. I was talking to some folks in the "beverage" car on an overnight train from Switzerland to France, they asked where I was from due to my accent, I told them Texas, they then proceeded to buy me drinks for the rest of our conversation.

RetArmySgt

Glad to be back.
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    College Station
    I used to have a shirt that had the US outline with Texas, California, and the North East out lined. In Texas it said "Texas", out side of Texas in several places it said "not Texas" and in California and the north east it said "DEFINITELY NOT TEXAS".

cuate

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Comanche Co., Texas
    We often forget that other Nations folks, d--nyankees, and Californians aren't familiar with Texas and our state geography...My Company once sent me to Yuma Proving Ground, AZ to support the testing of some aircraft armament system and I was in a Yuma Motel swimmming pool cooling off when a man asked, "Where
    are you from"? "Fort Worth", I replied. Then he began to chew my butt out like, "You damned Texans think everybody ought to know, blah, blah, blah".....

I think as I recall I told him where he could go and what he could do with himself, haha...

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2011
    Richardson
    I had a classmate in HS that was a foreign exchange student from Bulgaria and she was purrty. She told me she expected us riding horses to school and oil wells on our backyards. She was surprise that we were riding Benz, Lexus, Audi, and no Oil wells(well in Dallas).

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    I travel to Europe at least twice a year, and they love Texas over there! There is actually a "Texas Embassy" in London (it's a restaurant now, in a bulding that was the offices of the White Star Lines, owners of the RMS Titanic; but there actually was a Texas Legation [like an embassy] in London and Paris from 1836 through 1845).

Truth be told, most Europeans like Americans; it's our government and some of its actions that they're not too thrilled with. But for the most part they are friendly to us (especially Texans) and they love our culture as they see it (MTV, McDonald's, Levi jeans, etc.). There was even a Texas restaurant in the village next to ours when we lived near Sembach Air Base in Germany. It was called the Ponderosa (I didn't have the heart to tell them that Bonanza was set in the Lake Tahoe area) and they have more Texas memorabilia around that you'd think possible in this part of Germany!

Cheers! M2

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    I've went to the Texas Embassy restaurant in London some years back. It was really pretty cool. Margaritas, fajitas, chips & salsa... They have all the college stuff upstairs too. A&M, TU, Tech, Baylor, etc. You get a little "drinky, drinky" and you kind of forget where you're at. The real Texas embassy (legation) in London was close by to the restaurant location supposedly. We tried to find it but our navigational skills were challenged by the time we rolled out of there.

I asked some of the guys traveling with me where their state's embassy was.

dobarker

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2010
    Sonora
    I travel to Europe at least twice a year, and they love Texas over there! There is actually a "Texas Embassy" in London (it's a restaurant now, in a bulding that was the offices of the White Star Lines, owners of the RMS Titanic; but there actually was a Texas Legation [like an embassy] in London and Paris from 1836 through 1845).

Truth be told, most Europeans like Americans; it's our government and some of its actions that they're not too thrilled with. But for the most part they are friendly to us (especially Texans) and they love our culture as they see it (MTV, McDonald's, Levi jeans, etc.). There was even a Texas restaurant in the village next to ours when we lived near Sembach Air Base in Germany. It was called the Ponderosa (I didn't have the heart to tell them that Bonanza was set in the Lake Tahoe area) and they have more Texas memorabilia around that you'd think possible in this part of Germany!

Cheers! M2

The Texas Embassy in London has got to be the worst excuse for TexMex I have ever had. Their salsa, at least when I went there was basically ketchup.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    The Texas Legation in London was located at 20 St James's Street, London SW1A near St. James's Palace. There is a placque on the north side of the building where it was housed...

shapeimage_4.png

The Texas Embassy Cantina is near Trafalgar Square (1 Cockspur Street, London SW1Y 5DL).

They are just over a half a mile apart!

Dobarker, I wouldn't expect good TexMex from the place, it's more a matter of Texas pride in seeing such a place in downtown London!

Cheers! M2

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    The Texas Embassy in London has got to be the worst excuse for TexMex I have ever had. Their salsa, at least when I went there was basically ketchup.

When you've been living on fish & chips or mashed peas for long enough the mere thought of fajitas is awesome. The only good food in the UK comes from somewhere else (Curry, Lebanese, French, etc.). Besides, I've had worse Mexican food in Dallas.

Now, the Mexican food I had in Rotterdam was just plain confusing

PS Major, that plaque is really cool. I'm going to find it next time.

The Mayor

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Traveled to London one time, and we went to a pub and this dude asked me if I was yank? I told him hell no I'm from Texas and then he said we call of you yanks and I told him them are fightin words back home. he laughed and ask where my cowboy hat and boots are. I explained that no all Texans wore them.

Jakashh

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 30, 2010
    Sugar Land
    Traveled to London one time, and we went to a pub and this dude asked me if I was yank? I told him hell no I'm from Texas and then he said we call of you yanks and I told him them are fightin words back home. he laughed and ask where my cowboy hat and boots are. I explained that no all Texans wore them.

You should have told him that you left them on your horse at the hotel.

The Lox

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 6, 2010
    Farmers Branch
    Just like most American's probably think Europe is comprised solely of France, Germany and Italy...

Last year when I was in Branson there was a French family getting an old time western photo done, I thought that was pretty interesting..

Top Bottom