• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GennadiyB

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2022
    San Antonio
    Hey guys, so Ive been eyeing the 3x prism scope from swampfox (they have an awesome military discount) but I am wondering if its a good move. The prism is going on my AR in 5.56. I dont hunt with it, its training and defense only. I know that the prism will be solid at 50 yards plus, but what about 10-20 yards? I know for sure any true CQB that prism is way too much. I guess im just wondering if I should go with a solid red dot or a 1x prism instead. Thanks ya’ll!
    Gun Zone Deals

BeatTheTunaUp

Fux with the best, Die like the rest
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 17, 2012
    Temple TX
    I have a 3x prism paired with a pistol reddot on an offset mount. All of it Primary Arms stuff that works together. The 3x is fine up close, but the zero is off. You can either aim an inch or 2 high or have a close range dot. Either works.

20221123_153054.jpg

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    … dont hunt with it, its training and defense only...
    What kind if training, especially max distance you expect to shoot.

If you think you’ll ever be shooting at an 18” target greater than 100yds, I’d urge you to consider saving a bit more and getting a 1-6 LVPO instead of fixed prism.

Home defense is pretty much point and click distance, so keeping it at 1x and having the option yo throw out to 800 yds provides a versatility that’s way more functional than a fixed power prism, and this is coming from a guy with a decade and a half behind an ACOG or similar fixed power optic.

I currently run a 5x prism and an offset MRDO on my general purpose AR, but that’s because of my experience. In today’s world, I’d start from scratch with an FFP 1-6 LVPO.

Darqhelmet

You had one job, one.
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 5, 2018
    Kaufman County

If you think you’ll ever be shooting at an 18” target greater than 100yds, I’d urge you to consider saving a bit more and getting a 1-6 LVPO instead of fixed prism.

Home defense is pretty much point and click distance, so keeping it at 1x and having the option yo throw out to 800 yds provides a versatility that’s way more functional than a fixed power prism, and this is coming from a guy with a decade and a half behind an ACOG or similar fixed power optic.

I currently run a 5x prism and an offset MRDO on my general purpose AR, but that’s because of my experience. In today’s world, I’d start from scratch with an FFP 1-6 LVPO.
    Prism 3x with an offset pistol dot.

Lpvo’s are heavy and have the same or worse issues at point blank. I have tried vortex, trijicon, and primary arms they are bad as scopes and worse as red dots for more weight and higher cost. The juice isn’t worth the squeeze for me.

zackmars

Novice Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    My most used optic is a 3.5x acog. Up close, like 10 yards you can basically point shoot, but i can also look through the optic, focus on the target, and as long as it's somewhere in the center, i can treat it almost like a ghost ring sight. Or you can get an MRDS and offset it.

I've tried LPVO's. Not my thing.

Chewbacca7685

Certified Golf Cart Driver
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2023
    Mission
    I am actually not too sure, but i believe so. I hear really good things about their products, trying to get in before prices go up

Looks like just Leo and mil but that’s ok. I still have their 1x prism on my list to replace the cheapo on my mk9. Should help with the astigmatism.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GennadiyB

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2022
    San Antonio
    If you have stigmatizem the red dots look like a star burst.... I prefer etched reticle like prizm or LPVOs have. You get a nice crisp clear dot.
    Yup im going for a prism because of my astigmatism

thank you, solid advice

zackmars

Novice Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    The problem with LPVOs is that they are kinda neither fish nor fowl. At 1x they are not red dots, and at max magnification, they aren't prisms and they aren't MPVOs.

They are heavier, have tighter FOV, and people are chasing magnification over size and weight.

My VCOG is like 32oz. My ACOG is 14. On a general purpose 5.56, i don't feel the extra 4.5X is worth the extra weight.

Now on an SPR? i can see some justification
    Point Blur_Jun022023_130222.jpg

Last edited:
    Top Bottom