• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sam75022

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 5, 2022
    texas
    Can't see how this would pass congress IF it gets that far...

A key House Democrat is floating a 1,000% tax on AR-15s and similar rifles as part of his party’s latest bid to push gun control in the wake of recent mass shootings.

Rep. Donald Beyer of Virginia, who sits on the House Ways and Means Committee, told Business Insider that increasing the cost of the rifles ten-fold could be a deterrent to mass shootings. The tax could raise the price of the rifles to anywhere from $5,000 to as much as $20,000.

“What it’s intended to do is provide another creative pathway to actually make some sensible gun control happen,” Beyer said. “We think that a 1,000% fee on assault weapons is just the kind of restrictive measure that creates enough fiscal impact to qualify for reconciliation.”

A final draft of Beyer’s bill is not yet complete, and it is still unclear when the tax would take effect and what the added revenue would fund, although one possibility is a restitution program for family members of victims killed in shootings. Beyer said that law enforcement agencies and the U.S. military wouldn’t be subject to the tax. The lawmaker added that he believes his bill can clear the House, where Democrats hold a clear majority, and bypass the filibuster in the Senate, where Vice President Kamala Harris could cast the deciding vote.

Beyer’s plan is to pass the bill through reconciliation, which would allow it to bypass the 60-vote threshold for breaking the filibuster. Because it is a tax proposal, it could meet the requirement for reconciliation, experts said.

An estimated 20 million AR-15-style rifles are in circulation in the U.S., and about 20% of all new firearms purchases meet the description. President Biden has called for a ban on what the Left often describes as “assault weapons,” although the term is not a technical firearm definition. A bill proposed by Rep. David Cicilline (D-R.I.) defines “assault weapons” as “military-style” rifles, including those with “a magazine that is not a fixed ammunition magazine and has one or more military characteristics including a pistol grip, a forward grip, a barrel shroud, a threaded barrel or a folding or telescoping stock.”

Democrats have also proposed raising the age to buy an AR-15-style rifle from 18 to 21. Recent mass shootings in Buffalo and Uvalde, Texas, were carried out by 18-year-old men with AR-15-style rifles, although a mass shooting in Philadelphia Saturday night was carried out by multiple suspects with handguns.

“We need to ban assault weapons and high capacity magazines,” Biden said last week. “And if we can’t ban assault weapons, then we should raise the age to purchase them from 18 to 21, strengthen the background checks.”

Beyer also called for imposing new taxes on high-capacity magazines that can carry more than ten rounds of ammunition.

The definition of an assault weapon in the Beyer bill closely mirrors a measure that Rep. David Cicilline of Rhode Island is pushing. That bill would ban weapons with at least one military characteristic like a pistol grip or a forward grip.

Republicans have historically resisted new gun control measures, claiming that criminals will not abide by them, and in nearly every mass shooting, existing laws were broken or the suspect should have been flagged. But in the wake of recent shootings, some members of the GOP have signaled a willingness to consider new laws.
    Hurley's Gold

Sam75022

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 5, 2022
    texas
    That is definitely true but my most expensive semi auto rifle in safe or whatever dems define as ("assualt rifle") bought 5 years ago was FN SCAR 20S, that put ~~$4K dent in bank account (buy once, cry once...) I cannot see myself buying the same SCAR if the cost is $40K...

Poor will be impacted but gun enthusiast like many in TGT would feel the pain as well. Would you buy AR 15 for $10K?

Can't see this passing with election season coming up and also this might be something Dems need to say/state publicly so people will think "something is being done" with mass shootings recently....

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    Rep. Donald Beyer of Virginia, who sits on the House Ways and Means Committee, told Business Insider that increasing the cost of the rifles ten-fold could be a deterrent to mass shootings.

He must be unaware the VaTech Shooting, which occurred in his own state, was done with handguns. Not sure how a tax on rifles would stop mass shootings with handguns.

Bobk

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    Seguin
    It's because they are running out of Money!

1654470310217.png

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    I understand defeating this before it happens is the best method, but even if it did happen, I have to wonder if it would pass Constitutional muster as being legal for them too tax an item at such a high rate. Also by such taxation, it would infringe upon all those but the most well-heeled at being able to own them. Reminds me of when poll taxes were used to restrict certain groups of people from being able to vote.

Another question that arose for me is, who is, or are the benefactors of said taxes? Could be a huge conflict of interest there.

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    I understand defeating this before it happens is the best method, but even if it did happen, I have to wonder if it would pass Constitutional muster as being legal for them too tax an item at such a high rate. Also by such taxation, it would infringe upon all those but the most well-heeled at being able to own them. Reminds me of when poll taxes were used to restrict certain groups of people from being able to vote.

Another question that arose for me is, who is, or are the benefactors of said taxes? Could be a huge conflict of interest there.

NFA was upheld by the SCOTUS and hasn't been sufficiently challenged since Miller. They're using that playbook, it seems.

Guns should be tax exempt - paying a tax to exercise your right seems rather un-American. Much like having to pay a tax to speak freely, or to walk across the public lands, or to engage in any other Constitutionally protected right. Way too much shit is taxed.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    NFA ... hasn't been sufficiently challenged since Miller.
    This is what bugs me. The Miller case didn't sufficiently challenge the NFA. Then, in Heller, Scalia decided to go off on a tangent and preemptively make moot the Miller criteria for overturning the NFA.

There's a tangle there that will take generations to unravel and I fear that no one will ever care enough to do it.

As much as I hate to say it, I think the only successful strategy for overturning the NFA will be legislative, chipping away at it with one new, limited law after another.

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    This is what bugs me. The Miller case didn't sufficiently challenge the NFA. Then, in Heller, Scalia decided to go off on a tangent and preemptively make moot the Miller criteria for overturning the NFA.

There's a tangle there that will take generations to unravel and I fear that no one will ever care enough to do it.

As much as I hate to say it, I think the only successful strategy for overturning the NFA will be legislative, chipping away at it with one new, limited law after another.

I think you're right on that last bit. It's going to take representatives and senators with wisdom and courage to do the right thing for the people to get it done. A law removing suppressors, then a law removing SBR's and SBS's, then a law eliminating AOW's or at least reclassifying what an AOW means - removing pistols with VFG's from that definition - I'm not entirely convinced we'll ever see the machine gun ban overturned. Too many gun owners say "who needs a machine gun!" - even guys who own semi-auto AR's.

Top Bottom